Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Health checks

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I'm sure Boots were offering free health checks for over 40's.

The last time I had a blood pressure test, my results were quite high. I'd only gone in for ear syringing, so when the nurse offered the test, I could feel myself getting quite tense. A bit of a chat with the nurse about holidays, and the second test was back to normal.

As a blood donor I 'm sure I get tested for all sorts. Plus iron levels are checked.

Jul 7, 2003
your blood cholesterol is not related to dietary cholesterol is the latest thinking. In fact the good cholesterol found in natural animal products like butter and steaks etc can lower your bad blood cholesterol . Even some doctors are not up with this . ive been eating low carb high fat for a couple years now. I Told the doc who said I need to be careful as my cholesterol has prob gone through the roof with all the red meat , butter cheese I eat but it had actually come down . As for Edwina Currie I eat about 5 eggs a day! Its not fat that's the bad thing now its the sugar . For sugar also see carbs like bread , pasta etc.

Sorry for the lesson:p

No apology needed. I know this as well but it is amazing how many others don't which is why I thought I would mention it. So many people who are fit and do all the right things think they are safe from issues relating to cholesterol. As for sugar, it is not the extra spoonful in your tea that is the issue - it is all the sugar hidden in things you wouldn't expect that catches you out.

theboybilly

I've had problems with my hearing for a few years now and assumed it was down to the tinnitus I suffer and that there's nothing that can be done. With that in mind I've just got on with life as best I could but recently I've been driving my other half mental with my constant asking for things she said to be repeated and the telly going up a few notches every so often. A couple of weeks ago we went to the supermarket where a 'free hearing test' van was outside. My missus dragged me in - I was shocked at the outcome. A proper test was organised for today with the result I now have a brand new pair of hearing aids. I cannot tell you how vulnerable I felt in that consulting room. In one test I had to identify just 10 words' that came from a machine positioned behind me. I didn't get one correct - the best I could muster was three close matches which I got from (for example) double vowels in the middle like 'feet' which I thought was 'teeth'. I felt awful and embarrassed. My other half was almost in tears. She said she could hear the beeps I was missing in other tests that I undertook and that I missed. I just didn't realise my hearing was so poor. The consultant said that it was a matter of getting those nerve endings working again and that I should see some improvement but I lot of my hearing has gone forever. I have to say it's a bit weird at the moment as everything sounds a bit 'tinny'but hopefully that will settle. I had loads of hearing tests at work over the years and passed them all even though I knew something wasn't right. As long as I passed my periodical hearing test I was happy until the next one but really I should have sought proper help. I feel a bit of a fool now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I used to do this every couple of years, but Nuffield switched from a paper report to just logging the outcomes in a crap, user unfriendly portal, never to be seen again. As I paid £ 800 over the year for the privilege of learning nothing, I gave up on it.

I am tempted by the Nuffield thing. What was off putting about the web portal?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've had problems with my hearing for a few years now and assumed it was down to the tinnitus I suffer and that there's nothing that can be done. With that in mind I've just got on with life as best I could but recently I've been driving my other half mental with my constant asking for things she said to be repeated and the telly going up a few notches every so often. A couple of weeks ago we went to the supermarket where a 'free hearing test' van was outside. My missus dragged me in - I was shocked at the outcome. A proper test was organised for today with the result I now have a brand new pair of hearing aids. I cannot tell you how vulnerable I felt in that consulting room. In one test I had to identify just 10 words' that came from a machine positioned behind me. I didn't get one correct - the best I could muster was three close matches which I got from (for example) double vowels in the middle like 'feet' which I thought was 'teeth'. I felt awful and embarrassed. My other half was almost in tears. She said she could hear the beeps I was missing in other tests that I undertook and that I missed. I just didn't realise my hearing was so poor. The consultant said that it was a matter of getting those nerve endings working again and that I should see some improvement but I lot of my hearing has gone forever. I have to say it's a bit weird at the moment as everything sounds a bit 'tinny'but hopefully that will settle. I had loads of hearing tests at work over the years and passed them all even though I knew something wasn't right. As long as I passed my periodical hearing test I was happy until the next one but really I should have sought proper help. I feel a bit of a fool now.

And interesting post. Thanks for sharing. I hope things improve for you.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I've used the BUPA and Nuffield portals (they provide you with a user name etc same as any other secure online thing) and found them both really good. Pre-check (at least a week or two), you log on (no pun intended [emoji23][emoji23]) to complete a fairly comprehensive questionnaire on health, exercise, nutrition, family history etc. After the consultation they will use the portal to provide your results (mostly within 1-2 days, but with other results added later such as detailed ECG assessments which they send away for analysis) - it's more effective to look at the array of charts and graphs online, and the portal will (if you've had them) also have prior results for comparison which can be useful

You can also print/email a full pdf of your complete assessment from the portal anyway if you want it so it's really the best of both worlds.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've used the BUPA and Nuffield portals (they provide you with a user name etc same as any other secure online thing) and found them both really good. Pre-check (at least a week or two), you log on (no pun intended [emoji23][emoji23]) to complete a fairly comprehensive questionnaire on health, exercise, nutrition, family history etc. After the consultation they will use the portal to provide your results (mostly within 1-2 days, but with other results added later such as detailed ECG assessments which they send away for analysis) - it's more effective to look at the array of charts and graphs online, and the portal will (if you've had them) also have prior results for comparison which can be useful

You can also print/email a full pdf of your complete assessment from the portal anyway if you want it so it's really the best of both worlds.

I understand. Thanks. I presume you can follow up with them? I.e. They don't just send you the results and leave it to you to identify and resolve any issues? One final question, where are their sites located?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I understand. Thanks. I presume you can follow up with them? I.e. They don't just send you the results and leave it to you to identify and resolve any issues? One final question, where are their sites located?

Yes can definitely follow up - I actually had to go back for a repeat test of one thing due to a slightly odd reading (probably shouldn't have had the assessment the day after a marathon). One of the appointments on the day is a fairly lengthy appointment with a GP anyway, which is towards the end after most of the results are known anyway and he'll go through them in detail, along with any recommendations.

They might also recommend a GP visit or referral elsewhere if required.

Personally have used BUPA in Crawley and Nuffield in Woodingdean but they have loads.......if you go to their respective websites I think they have a postcode finder for your nearest centre.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am not so sure about this, as soon as I reached 50 if ever I went to the doctors (rarely), out came the scales, bloods appointment, urine tests it was similar to Slimming World but for depressives.

I know the argument, if you can catch it early etc etc, but if you are in your 50's and you have no discernible symptoms of anything, then it seems an unlikely worry and an unnecessary take up of the doctors time.

Its the 'worried well' syndrome and then you give yourself a pat on the back when you make it through the test virtually unscathed and of course with a false sense of security, disease has a starting point that is undetermined, you must keep going for the test annually at least otherwise its a pointless exercise, I would love to know the average number of appointments whilst well until something that is serious enough to need immediate attention is ever flagged up and if when it is symptoms had presented themselves anyway.

So education on our health seems great, I am guessing the NHS have these policies of wellbeing tests perhaps for those patients, usually men that have symptoms presenting but still do not go to doctors, so I get that, but it is being dominated by those of us that seem relatively fit and healthy but just want a gold star sticker and bore their friends on a Friday night whilst your twenty stone mate rocks up and tells you he only found out at one of those tests that he has high blood pressure, no sh1t sherlock.

I note that quite logically if you are determined to get basic wellbeing tests and associated results that you must now consider going for the full monty set of tests, bit like going to the car wash and end up buying the gold star car wash for a tenner a pop, otherwise its not a true picture is it.

To enter a cycle of ongoing investigative medical testing even when no symptoms are presenting themselves must be quite stressful and invasive, not for me.

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Sadly I just couldn't access my report and they wouldn't send me a paper one. So I paid £800 odd and get no outcomes. My last one was three years ago, so they may have resolved such issues by now.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sadly I just couldn't access my report and they wouldn't send me a paper one. So I paid £800 odd and get no outcomes. My last one was three years ago, so they may have resolved such issues by now.

But with respect, whats the point of having a £800.00 one three years ago and none since ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am not so sure about this, as soon as I reached 50 if ever I went to the doctors (rarely), out came the scales, bloods appointment, urine tests it was similar to Slimming World but for depressives.

I know the argument, if you can catch it early etc etc, but if you are in your 50's and you have no discernible symptoms of anything, then it seems an unlikely worry and an unnecessary take up of the doctors time.

Its the 'worried well' syndrome and then you give yourself a pat on the back when you make it through the test virtually unscathed and of course with a false sense of security, disease has a starting point that is undetermined, you must keep going for the test annually at least otherwise its a pointless exercise, I would love to know the average number of appointments whilst well until something that is serious enough to need immediate attention is ever flagged up and if when it is symptoms had presented themselves anyway.

So education on our health seems great, I am guessing the NHS have these policies of wellbeing tests perhaps for those patients, usually men that have symptoms presenting but still do not go to doctors, so I get that, but it is being dominated by those of us that seem relatively fit and healthy but just want a gold star sticker and bore their friends on a Friday night whilst your twenty stone mate rocks up and tells you he only found out at one of those tests that he has high blood pressure, no sh1t sherlock.

I note that quite logically if you are determined to get basic wellbeing tests and associated results that you must now consider going for the full monty set of tests, bit like going to the car wash and end up buying the gold star car wash for a tenner a pop, otherwise its not a true picture is it.

To enter a cycle of ongoing investigative medical testing even when no symptoms are presenting themselves must be quite stressful and invasive, not for me.

The way you carry on, maybe at the very least, you should get your blood pressure tested?

(Joke)

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Being healthy all my life except for nrokem bones, I found myself diagnosed with stage 3 inoperable pancreatic cancer last July. Was given until february, but i'm still here, unfortunately chucked in my 1901 tickets as it didn't seem worth it to invest for another 5 years with only 7months to live.
Having been through many tests, scans, invasive searches, chemo, 'nano knife' surgery in London and attended many different medical institutions, I came to understand that my cancer along with many others is not detectable, unless the medical practioner is actually looking for it, therefore these generic health tests will tell you if your cholestrol is high, your blood pressure is also high, to exercise more etc. After diagnosis my wife underwent an expensive health screen with the Nuffield taking three hours with scans etc, but we found the results basic, obvious and generally what we already knew. The practioner also expressed the opinion that these screenings were in no way comprehensive. It a difficult one, to answer, if your a smoker, a drinker and a non exerciser you are likely to get all manner of things, I am non of these yet contracted cancer and have to admit during treatment I have never come across another cancer patient that is overweight. We have to admit that some medical conditions are very difficult to see in advance and that the health screenings and checks are not fulproof.
Has anyone responding to this post wh has medical checks had anything flagged up or serious?
But best thing of all is I reckon I will see us play our first match in the Premier League, which is a real result and with odds of 8.5/1 on a Brighton win, surely its worth a punt!!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I noted some comments made in the Conor Goldstone thread about personal health checks which got me thinking. I believe I'm reasonably fit and healthy and have a check up every few years but it's seemingly quite limited i.e. Vital signs and, I think, blood and urine (can't quite recall what they did last time). Do others go beyond this? I'm thinking scans, ECGs etc. Eye tests? And how frequent do you go?

Oops. Wrong account.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I noted some comments made in the Conor Goldstone thread about personal health checks which got me thinking. I believe I'm reasonably fit and healthy and have a check up every few years but it's seemingly quite limited i.e. Vital signs and, I think, blood and urine (can't quite recall what they did last time). Do others go beyond this? I'm thinking scans, ECGs etc. Eye tests? And how frequent do you go?

Four years ago, I was short of breath just walking up the stairs.

I went to the doctor, who took blood, booked me in for an X-ray, booked me in for an ECG, (which sought to presume that my heart was blocked - it wasn't - so therefore had an angiogram) and a CT scan, and and eventually the problem was found - a pulmonary embolism (PE - a blood clot) knocking out a quarter of my right lung.

The point is - there was no discernible reason as to why I had this PE (aside from maybe a hereditary issue), but they gave me an MoT nonetheless. Personally, I'd have put off going for a health check, but seeing as they did one anyway, I was glad they did. So yes, irrespective of my attitude beforehand, I would suggest a check-up, even if you're not displaying any symptoms.

Doesn't hurt to make sure.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Being healthy all my life except for nrokem bones, I found myself diagnosed with stage 3 inoperable pancreatic cancer last July. Was given until february, but i'm still here, unfortunately chucked in my 1901 tickets as it didn't seem worth it to invest for another 5 years with only 7months to live.
Having been through many tests, scans, invasive searches, chemo, 'nano knife' surgery in London and attended many different medical institutions, I came to understand that my cancer along with many others is not detectable, unless the medical practioner is actually looking for it, therefore these generic health tests will tell you if your cholestrol is high, your blood pressure is also high, to exercise more etc. After diagnosis my wife underwent an expensive health screen with the Nuffield taking three hours with scans etc, but we found the results basic, obvious and generally what we already knew. The practioner also expressed the opinion that these screenings were in no way comprehensive. It a difficult one, to answer, if your a smoker, a drinker and a non exerciser you are likely to get all manner of things, I am non of these yet contracted cancer and have to admit during treatment I have never come across another cancer patient that is overweight. We have to admit that some medical conditions are very difficult to see in advance and that the health screenings and checks are not fulproof.
Has anyone responding to this post wh has medical checks had anything flagged up or serious?
But best thing of all is I reckon I will see us play our first match in the Premier League, which is a real result and with odds of 8.5/1 on a Brighton win, surely its worth a punt!!

Shit. Really sorry to hear this.

Personally, my main concern is running. Every so often I run marathons and I train pretty hard for them and run them reasonably quickly so I put my body under a lot of stress at my age. I also lead an active life and rarely sit still for more than 10 minutes. I just want reasonable reassurance my heart does not explode during a long run. I have the attitude of when my time is up it's up but equally I want to be sensible.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Four years ago, I was short of breath just walking up the stairs.

I went to the doctor, who took blood, booked me in for an X-ray, booked me in for an ECG, (which sought to presume that my heart was blocked - it wasn't - so therefore had an angiogram) and a CT scan, and and eventually the problem was found - a pulmonary embolism (PE - a blood clot) knocking out a quarter of my right lung.

The point is - there was no discernible reason as to why I had this PE (aside from maybe a hereditary issue), but they gave me an MoT nonetheless. Personally, I'd have put off going for a health check, but seeing as they did one anyway, I was glad they did. So yes, irrespective of my attitude beforehand, I would suggest a check-up, even if you're not displaying any symptoms.

Doesn't hurt to make sure.

But you had symptoms and that was the prompt for the checks, which seems a reasonable pathway of care it isnt even as if you went for being out of breath and they randomly found another serious health issue not associated to those symptoms.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Shit. Really sorry to hear this.

Personally, my main concern is running. Every so often I run marathons and I train pretty hard for them and run them reasonably quickly so I put my body under a lot of stress at my age. I also lead an active life and rarely sit still for more than 10 minutes. I just want reasonable reassurance my heart does not explode during a long run. I have the attitude of when my time is up it's up but equally I want to be sensible.

But your lifestyle would suggest that your heart is healthier than most of the population, unless you have some symptoms, be honest you are just after that gold star arent you.

(That was a joke too)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here