Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heads up for Amex Card Holders

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The only place I've found that won't take my Amex card is B&Q.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
That's a myth.
It's a fact. The last job I had was in a cafe that didn't accept it for that reason and it's the same with others around my way. Most small businesses can't afford to pay their charges. Even Seagulls player won't accept it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's a fact. The last job I had was in a cafe that didn't accept it for that reason and it's the same with others around my way. Most small businesses can't afford to pay their charges. Even Seagulls player won't accept it.

Its not a fact. At all. Just look at the Amex Shop Small thing. I've managed to lunch out at a number of small chains and independent restaurants recently, by paying on my Amex.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
That's a myth.

It's very rarely that I can't use my Amex and, for those occasions, my card issuer gives me a paired Visa card.

It's well worth it in my opinion - I saved over £3000 on flights this Summer through miles acquired solely through Amex spending, and I have a bucket load of miles for future use too.

Bozza, that sounds like a better return than the Platinum Cashback Card gives! Which one is yours, AMEX & BA joint card?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You said "hardly anyone accepts it." I'm telling you most places I use accept it.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Amex charges retailers more on the basis that it gives them access to cardholders information and because American Express members spend more money. As a result, most small businesses can't afford to accept the card. If you're only using the biggest retailers then you're going to find that it is accepted because they can't afford to lose business to their rivals.
This is a direct quote from http://www.whoacceptsamex.co.uk/

"We understand that Amex isn't the most popular credit card among UK retailers and merchants, and it can often be frustrating finding shops that do accept it. That's why we've created this comprehensive list of UK high street shops, online stores and other companies which do accept American Express."
Does that sound like a card that's accepted everywhere?

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
You said "hardly anyone accepts it." I'm telling you most places I use accept it.
That's a fair point. That was a poor choice of wording on my part.
I would also point out that I am not anti Amex. I simply haven't considered it because when I first began using credit cards 25 years ago, there were more retailers who declined it that accepted it. During that time Amex have improved the ability to use it whilst Visa has served me well.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've just checked my spending online for the current month:

Amex transactions: 28
Visa transactions: 3

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The Platinum Cashback Amex card is excellent. I get a tidy sum back at the end of each year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here