Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heading South

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
I'm travelling down to Hove on Saturday morning with a mate of mine. We'll be staying with a friend of ours in her flat, which is very close to the cricket ground, before heading off on Sunday morning to watch Cardiff's game at Southend.

Any tips on decent places to eat and good pubs with a bit of atmosphere on Saturday evenings in either Hove or Brighton itself would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Head for the Lanes - you can't go too far wrong around there.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
tommy boy said:
what food do you like?

Standard pub food will do fine. Maybe a steak or something. Won't risk a curry before a Sunday lunchtime football match, and I'm going for a Chinese on Sunday evening when we get back to Cardiff.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Greenhouse Effect is just round the corner from you. the Pilsner in there will give you a fantastic hangover.

There's plenty of nice pubs with a few minutes walk of the cricket ground. The Conquerer (Brunswick Street East) is a fantastic boozer.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
from where you're staying LB you're best off eating in hove. some nice places, the pick of which would be otellos on church road for an italian (they have steaks) and then off to the pub.

enjoy

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The Laughing Bluebird said:
I'm travelling down to Hove on Saturday morning with a mate of mine. We'll be staying with a friend of ours in her flat, which is very close to the cricket ground, before heading off on Sunday morning to watch Cardiff's game at Southend.

Any tips on decent places to eat and good pubs with a bit of atmosphere on Saturday evenings in either Hove or Brighton itself would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Didnt you ask this a couple of years back when you stayed with your freinds

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Re: Re: Heading South

chicken run said:
Didnt you ask this a couple of years back when you stayed with your freinds

I did. Sorry, but I didn't print off the replies and save them. I'm also assuming that places might have changed a little since then. For instance, pubs which were popular a year ago may be dead as a doornail now.

Besides which, things didn't exactly go according to plan last time I visited anyway. I ended up getting hammered after the Cardiff game with those disgraceful hooligans in the Brewery Tap, so I didn't get to see much of the Hove area.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Re: Re: Re: Heading South

The Laughing Bluebird said:
I did. Sorry, but I didn't print off the replies and save them. I'm also assuming that places might have changed a little since then. For instance, pubs which were popular a year ago may be dead as a doornail now.

Besides which, things didn't exactly go according to plan last time I visited anyway. I ended up getting hammered after the Cardiff game with those disgraceful hooligans in the Brewery Tap, so I didn't get to see much of the Hove area.
wasnt being arrogant just wondered whether thier were any places you would re visit

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Re: Re: Re: Re: Heading South

chicken run said:
wasnt being arrogant just wondered whether thier were any places you would re visit

I last visited in October 2005 for the Cardiff game. On the Friday night we tried a pub in Hove that had been recommended to me on here - I think it was the Conqueror - but it was packed and we couldn't get near the bar, so we went to a place on the main high street that didn't seem to have its name outside. It was alright for a few quick ones.

Then we went further into Brighton and ended up at a place called the Windmill on Upper North Street. Not really my type of pub, but it was ok.

On Saturday we went to the Brewery Tap before the match, and then the Brewery Tap again after the game. Got absolutely bolloxed, wandered off in the general direction of Brighton, had a couple of beers in a big pub on the main road into the town centre (can't remember its name, but I'd been in there before with THPP), staggered my way back to Hove and had an Indian takeaway.

This time we are only in Hove for the Saturday night. The kick off at Southend on Sunday is 1-15pm, so we'll have to take it steady. Ish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here