Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] HCGS for boys. History of. the School.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Cope umpiring a school cricket match - don't recall team but may have been under 16s. Umpired, scored, smoked fag, drank can of beer behind stumps, all at the same time.

Fantastic teacher - lethal blackboard eraser throw if you weren't paying attention. His theory of great men and facial hair was a masterpiece.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Cope umpiring a school cricket match - don't recall team but may have been under 16s. Umpired, scored, smoked fag, drank can of beer behind stumps, all at the same time.

Fantastic teacher - lethal blackboard eraser throw if you weren't paying attention. His theory of great men and facial hair was a masterpiece.

I received the longest set of comments I have ever seen from him on one of my history essays. It compared the facial hair of Castlereagh and Canning, and went on to wax lyrical about what John Reynolds' and Malcolm Redford's beards meant about them. It was genius.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Looking Back: Hove Grammar School For Boys - 1936 - 1979 Hardcover – 19 Apr 2018
by William H. Brock (Author) around £15

There are quite a few old boys of HCGS on here. Came across this book. The author is an old boy. It covers the history divided by the 3 heads, Norden, Greatwood and Williamson. My time was the Greatwood era.
Interesting read. Can get from Amazon. Use Bozza's link.

Just bought a copy. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Favourite has to be Tabby falling off the stage whilst strutting his stuff in assembly.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
When we were in the music hut, someone saw a small boy on the back field and decided to imitate Poxy Baxter and shouted through the open window 'Go down to the headmaster's office' using said mathematician's Mancunian vowels.

On that moment a dervish in black cape whirled round the hut (I swear I saw a little spark of fire and inhaled a whiff of burning sulphur) and pointed through the open window 'No, YOU go down to the hedmaster's office'. Scenes. :lolol:

Before me, but at one time Poxy Baxter's son was a pupil at the school. His nickname .......Smallpox.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
No different to my time under Greatwood. “Tabby” deputy head stroked my backside with cane quite a few times but the biggest scandal in my time was the the throwing out of the window girl’s knickers on the Aldrington halt to Haywards Heath train. Sadly Living in Hangleton I was not involved in that . If I recall correctly that involved expulsions.

Yes, I joined in Bouncer’s last year but Tabby was usually the one to hand out the cane, nobly witnessed by Joe Allen who was there to make sure Tabby hit you hard enough and that you didn’t have a rough book down your trousers. I had been known to go home with my arse bleeding - I am still not convinced that this was all strictly legal. Imagine trying to inflict this on a teenager today.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
It was Tabby for me. For climbing over the wall to retrieve the ball that flew over due to my rotten shot. Got the ball ok but climbed back over into the waiting arms of a prefect.
Got a good hiding from him after the last performance of "trial by jury". Horrible man.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
He’d like you to think so and probably has said it was. Maybe you know knocky?

The initials are JJKS ,hyphenated, and MR.

Gosh, you have got me thinking now. I am having lunch with two other old boys tomorrow so will try to decipher with them. What years were you there, knocky? If you are the same year as the people we are talking about I think I was one year below you.

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes
I was class of 73-79, so saw most of the school go comprehensive while I was in the upper 6th, although we were allowed to stay grammar. I agree that whatever was wrong with it the quality of teachers went downhill after the change.

Must be some stories about Charlie Cope (RIP)? I expect HWT to be here sometime.

73-79 for me also. Being in detention with Chas Cope was always entertaining. I recall one episode when he said if none of us laughed in the next two minutes we could all go home. He then went and stood next to some poor unsuspecting soul and farted in his face!! 😯 Needless to say, we didn't get to go home early!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Gosh, you have got me thinking now. I am having lunch with two other old boys tomorrow so will try to decipher with them. What years were you there, knocky? If you are the same year as the people we are talking about I think I was one year below you.

Think you may have been two years below them. I was 71-76 :smile:

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes
Mr Frith, the bloke who ran the squash courts wouldn't have been allowed anywhere near kids in this day and age. Shocking really, when you look back on it now!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Mr Frith, the bloke who ran the squash courts wouldn't have been allowed anywhere near kids in this day and age. Shocking really, when you look back on it now!!

I'm not sure a certain teacher's prosecution for importuning in the public toilets at the Clock Tower would have been so easily overlooked had he not batted for Sussex (or maybe it was all teenage exaggeration :wink:)

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
I'm not sure a certain teacher's prosecution for importuning in the public toilets at the Clock Tower would have been so easily overlooked had he not batted for Sussex (or maybe it was all teenage exaggeration :wink:)

Didn't play with a straight bat.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Yep. 72-78.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough

How times have changed. We were told off by Adrian Hilton-Dennis for discussing Frith, and told to shut up unless we had hard evidence of these "disgusting rumours". So we were the bad guys and he was protected. As you say he would be in prison now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here