Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Having twins

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Will you be calling them Albion-based names? Gus and Oscar perhaps?

Congrats, in any case. :thumbsup:

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
Congrats, had boy and girl twins in 2012. It's not has hard as we thought it was gunna be , just everything just takes twice as long.

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
I have twins boys, now 17 yrs old. Not identical. Both are BHA STH's. I have a picture somewhere with their BHA baby grows on aged only a few days. They were early (33 wks) and as a result were born in St Mary's Hospital Portsmouth overlooking Fratton Park - that still hurts!
A Big shock at first but a huge joy / fun to see them grow up together. It's been a few years but happy to give advice if needed.

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
A lot depends on whether they are same gender and if so the degree of identicalness. We know a family who had to make their boys wear different colour shirts to help teachers tell them apart.

If i may be so bold , to be identical twins they HAVE to be the same sex. (mixed sex would have different bits and bobs) If they are mixed sex then they are whats known as "fraternal" .
Fraternal twins occur when 2 separate eggs are fertilized rather than one egg that splits. Same sex twins can still be fraternal though.
My wife and i have 10 year old twins (fraternal boy and girl) , hard work when babies , harder still when they could crawl and walk !
Congratulations to the OP , the joy they bring is fabulous :clap2: They will always have each other to play with , to bounce off and to wind up !!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Thanks guys. Yeah, they will have an older sister who will be three years old by the time they are born.

Don't forget to think hard about the older sister and the impact on her, and do what you can to mitigate it and make her continue to feel special. It's always tough for the first child when siblings appear and they are no longer the sole focus of parental attention; it's mega-tough when there are two of them at once! Expect tantrums, and possibly a certain amount of vindictiveness towards the new arrivals as she attempts to regain control of lost territory. It's also something that can persist for some time as they go through childhood -- the twins are likely to be very close with each other, and the other sibling can feel excluded.
I speak from experience (as a first-born with sibling twins who appeared when I was four)...

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Congratulations.

I have twin sisters, who are identical. They are 3 years younger than me and we have a brother sandwiched in-between. Lord knows how my parents coped?!?

Many people could not tell them apart, our immediate family could of course.

They were/are incredibly close. My mum was always dressing them the same. They hated one teacher at primary school who constantly referred to them as "Twin".

Enjoy the journey.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I have twin girls. They are three and half now. We also have a son who was almost two when they were born so a similar situation. Things to consider

1.get a people carrier as three car seats won't fit across a normal car when two are babies
2. Get a decent pushchair which you can clip car seats to
3. Get them into a routine early.
4. Prepare yourself to be treated like a freak when you are out. People are fascinated by twins. You get great comments "they don't look similar, are they identical twins?"
5. Join tamba. It is twin and multiple birth charity. 10 per cent discount at mothercare and Clark's to name a couple
6. Don't be tempted to let one sleep when other awake.
7. Don't dress them the same, that behaviour should lead to a prison sentence. They are individuals so treat them as such. Maybe I am touchy but I hate people referring to them as twins. They got a joint Xmas present of 20 quid while our son got 20 of his own. People will treat them as a single entity so get your head around that.
8. Try to spend time with them on their own
9. Don't forget sibling
10. Get some sleep now. Then when you wake up sleep some more

Congrats and have fun. I am sure I will think of better things than that stream of conscious.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I've already offered you congratulations to you and your wonder sperm, but i'll do it again.

Congratulations!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Double congratulations!

141735_12494_L.jpg

A friend is about to have (one of each) twins (20 month old brother at delivery) and I lived with a non-identical twin.

I'll get some tips and hints.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Hello,

Sensible thread for once. The wife and I have recently found out that we are expecting identical twins, which has come as a bit of a shock, but a very pleasant one. So two new Albion fans! Can't wait to bring my little army to The Amex in their stripes.

We've researched specific twin baby groups in our area (Worthing) and having a good read of various books. I just wondered if anyone on NSC Kingdom had personal experience of having twins (or a family member has twins) who was willing to share their experiences, tips, advice, etc. There is a great deal of fear and excitement running through my veins right now.

Feel free to post pictures of The Shining twins; The Krays, etc. I've had it all already...I think.

Thanks.

I've got younger twin brothers (not twins of myself obviously, before anyone starts!). My only words of wisdom are to say: never dress them identically. It may look cute but apparently leads to issues down the line.

Good luck though!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I used to work with a couple of twins. Whenever anyone asked them what it was like to have a twin, they'd reply, perfectly reasonably, what's it like NOT to have a twin?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Congrats my friend. I already had 2 when the scan revealed double bubble!

My twins were a bit premature, but no serious complications thank god. Spent a bit of time in Trevor Mann, but soon moved to Princess Royal. Best bit was that the nurses got them into a feed routine. By the time we got them home ( a month after they were born) , they were both sleeping 11pm to 6am. All due to the team at Princess Royal. They packed the feeds in through the day, and slowly widened the times a night.

Mine are now 9, and I still love it.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Hello,

Sensible thread for once. The wife and I have recently found out that we are expecting identical twins, which has come as a bit of a shock, but a very pleasant one. So two new Albion fans! Can't wait to bring my little army to The Amex in their stripes.

We've researched specific twin baby groups in our area (Worthing) and having a good read of various books. I just wondered if anyone on NSC Kingdom had personal experience of having twins (or a family member has twins) who was willing to share their experiences, tips, advice, etc. There is a great deal of fear and excitement running through my veins right now.

Feel free to post pictures of The Shining twins; The Krays, etc. I've had it all already...I think.

Thanks.

I have twins !!

Not identical, in fact they are different sex. It's ruddy hard work but worth it. I remember being so sh1t scared for 9 months but once it happens you just get on with it. The first 3 months are a mare so you just have to work out a routine.

We went to a special pre-natal class in Hove for twins and they gave us loads of advice. They encouraged you to for example use dummies - it's all very well these doogoody parents with opinions of whats best for a baby but they havent had 2 at once. We also got information on services you can call if it gets too much.

Top tip: When they are babies, take them to the super market just you and them. Hey presto - browny points from the wife for giving her a break, and all the women flock round you in Asda.

Our twins were born in October 2008 and then we had another boy in July 2010. :eek:

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Oh I've just thought of a practical tip for you or any parent. If your child is coughing in the night rub some Vicks on the souls of their feet and put socks on them. Only just found this out recently it works every time. My daughter has always had a bad cough in the night when she's got a cold and this has stopped it. Wish I'd found this out a few years ago, it would have stopped many a sleepless night

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here