Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Having a Clear Out and Just Found These Photos of Withdean.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
sitting in the south stand behind the away teams dug out was comedy too - we used to wind them up so much.

Also when Ian Dowie was there and someone shouted "don't look round Dowie, there are kids present"

Plus the 2000 year monsoon season !

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
some happy times

Last Withdean 021.JPG

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
sitting in the south stand behind the away teams dug out was comedy too - we used to wind them up so much.

Also when Ian Dowie was there and someone shouted "don't look round Dowie, there are kids present"

Plus the 2000 year monsoon season !

Dennis Wise was managing Millwall, when H block's finest started singing
Oompah Lumpa doopity do, You've got a midget managing you.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Heres one I found - I think it was v Bristol Rovers in December 2010....

IMG_0010.jpg

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This is why we had to spend £ 115,000 on a new pitch after the first season.

Gungy bit NE.jpg

Had one of my favourite withdean moments in that little NE away fans section in pic 1.
When teams without many fans or without threat of trouble would come, they'd split that and have half home fans as well, just separated by a row of empty seats and a few stewards. I took a couple of friends so couldn't sit in my usual B block South ST seat, we were all literally 3 seats away from the small group of passionate opposing Hartlepool fans.

one of their players went down in the box right in front of the stand, and they all shouted for what looked like a pen. The ref waves play on and one of their fans, stands, points to the ref and screams in his NE accent "F**king Noor way Ref"

Immediately one of our quick witted fans stands up points at the hartlepool fan and retorts in his brighton accent "F**king Norway, thats in F**cking Scandanvia mate"

Feb 14, 2010
I miss the Soldstone, but both Gillingham and Withdean almost sucked the life out of this club. Dreadful dreadful years, but years we can be proud of. Very few clubs would have survived what Brighton went through.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
one of my fav moments was the continual and quite brutal wind up of laurie sanchez by the south stand... "where'd get your mac from....pound shop, pound shop..?" He finally flipped...

I used to love the pound shop grief we gave opposing managers and staff. I remember when it was widely reported Jim Gannon was going to take over from Russel Slade and low and behold we had Stockport (his club at the time) last game of the season.

The grief I remember the poor guy getting and the songs of 'where'd you get your suit from? Pound shop Pound shop' were great.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I used to love the pound shop grief we gave opposing managers and staff. I remember when it was widely reported Jim Gannon was going to take over from Russel Slade and low and behold we had Stockport (his club at the time) last game of the season.

The grief I remember the poor guy getting and the songs of 'where'd you get your suit from? Pound shop Pound shop' were great.

Jim Gannon, who reputedly turned us down. Now managing Northwich Victoria in the Northern Premier League Division One (North). Remind me, where are we again?

PG

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
One of my funniest memories was a really foggy evening game against Orient (I think). Orient scored at the West end goal, and their fans in the stand behind the hammer net must have taken a good 15-20 seconds before realising they'd scored and started cheering :lolol:

15-20 seconds might be a slight exageration

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
One of my funniest memories was a really foggy evening game against Orient (I think). Orient scored at the West end goal, and their fans in the stand behind the hammer net must have taken a good 15-20 seconds before realising they'd scored and started cheering :lolol:

Think it was Leicester?

Another poster mentioned Jim Gannon - Did we ever dodge a bullet by missing out on him?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
though to be fair the board then was usually taken around during the second half so the abuse was justified!
They did at Withdean for the first couple of seasons and I think they moved it because of people's (ironic) shouts. Though it didn't block the view from the (elevated) south stand anyway, of course.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
It was an absolutely horrible place to watch football, the fact that we had so many good times there is remarkable.

I think the reason we had such good times, is we won often! Which in some way was because visiting teams hated the place so much all they could think of was escaping! :) It didn't seem so very bad at the time, but after the Amex I couldn't do it again...But the trek to Priestfields was for me much worse. Sometimes I can hardly believe how resilient we were. :)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Who remembers when all the seat numbers in the South stand had worn off the chairs. An absolute nightmare for anyone paying game by game.

Yep remember it well. I also remember that sometimes, when it had beern raining, which often seemed to be the norm, a helpful steward would give every fan in the south stand a square of kitchen roll, so that they could wipe their seat dry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here