Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you supplemented your social network profile pic with the French tricolour?

Have you supplemented your social network profile pic with the French tricolour?

• Yes I have

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • No I haven't

Votes: 86 72.9%

• Total voters

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If it is so 'impotent' why do some people have the need to get so publicly wound up about it?

Who is publicly wound up about it? I've seen it mentioned in two places. Newsthump and here.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Showing respect for those that have fallen in war on my behalf, for my freedom by wearing a relevant symbol, made by the very people who risked their lives for my freedom, that has been a sign of respect for decades and at the same time giving money to support those who fought and continue to fight as opposed to impotently plastering an app on a social media page? Dunno mate.

I'm not disagreeing with what YOU are saying, just the comment I was originally commenting on. But just because a social network has given us an easy two-click way of showing support, that isn't the issue surely? I have total and utter respect and thanks for those soldiers that paid the ultimate price, but I also have total and utter sympathy for those innocence people that died in France, and who die in any other terror attack. It just so happened that Facebook gave us the French flag - if I'd seen a Russian one a few weeks ago, I'd have probably applied that one too.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm not disagreeing with what YOU are saying, just the comment I was originally commenting on. But just because a social network has given us an easy two-click way of showing support, that isn't the issue surely? I have total and utter respect and thanks for those soldiers that paid the ultimate price, but I also have total and utter sympathy for those innocence people that died in France, and who die in any other terror attack. It just so happened that Facebook gave us the French flag - if I'd seen a Russian one a few weeks ago, I'd have probably applied that one too.

Fair do's. It's only my personal opinion of course. I'm not one for public displays of grief. I think it's much healthier to bottle it all in for years ;-)

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Fair do's. It's only my personal opinion of course. I'm not one for public displays of grief. I think it's much healthier to bottle it all in for years ;-)

That's a very British attitude! Personal opinions are good, that's what makes NSC such a good read.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Yep iv'e got the French flag as my profile photo, it fits nicely over my St George dragon. I display the poppy as well, and i will also do the same for other things that i agree with. My choice, no problem with those who do not want to.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
No, because it feels a bit too bandwagony and as others have stated, there were no Russian flags for the bomb on the plane nor Kenyan flags for the attack on Garrissa etc.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
No.

I don't understand the desire to have to be seen to be caring about something - why isn't it enough simply to care?

To each their own though, of course.

I think Frutos has hit the nail on the head. Why the need to splash your feelings all over t'internet? I don't get it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yep. I don't give a toss what other people think.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
...or people who have no concern over their privacy, and don't mind their lives and personal data being a saleable product, without actually getting paid for it.
Para - fookin - noia

Will you just get over yourself?,....... will you please? Of all the people on this site, you really do spout a bucket load of car-bollax. Let me tell you something, you are not that important, apart from your name triggering a few monitoring sites in various listening posts across the ether, nobody is remotely interested in what you push out via your semi-automatic keyboard.

Dec 29, 2011
I think Frutos has hit the nail on the head. Why the need to splash your feelings all over t'internet? I don't get it.

I think it's very 'look at me'. It's like "hey look I know about the Paris attacks!", like the people who post a status about it as soon as they hear to show they've heard about it before everyone else. You know the type, they'll post like "Paris bombed!" An hour after it happens to show they heard about it early.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Para - fookin - noia

Will you just get over yourself?,....... will you please? Of all the people on this site, you really do spout a bucket load of car-bollax. Let me tell you something, you are not that important, apart from your name triggering a few monitoring sites in various listening posts across the ether, nobody is remotely interested in what you push out via your semi-automatic keyboard.

Post of the Day! Quality

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Semi-automatic keyboard. I like Mustafa but as a general term, that made me chuckle.

Anyway yes, people should stop being grief tourists on social media.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Additionally I would argue that abstaining from social networking can actually improve the quality of your social life, and possibly mental wellbeing too. It's surely more rewarding to discuss your lives with your friends in person, rather than browsing digital archives and typing and reading one another's impersonal comments

Same could be said of NSC also!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
No, because it feels a bit too bandwagony and as others have stated, there were no Russian flags for the bomb on the plane nor Kenyan flags for the attack on Garrissa etc.

I have seen people on FB with the Russian flag after the plane bombing, however it wasn't as wide spread as the French flag has been.

Maybe that was because of the recent political tensions between Russia and the West before that bombing or it could have been simply that the the way to change it over to the Russian flag wasn't as widely advertised?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
it could have been simply that the the way to change it over to the Russian flag wasn't as widely advertised?

It was this I believe, the people who changed to a Russian flag had to do it manually - to change to a French flag was done automatically if you clicked yes to a pop-up dialog.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here