Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you owned a Robin Reliant?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
true Story

My brother in law used to have one cos he had a motor bike license and couldn't/wouldn't pass his car driving test.

It developed a problem.
Cue mate with an interest in cars and a garage with an inspection pit in it; "bring it round on Saturday and we'll sort it out".

B in law duly goes to mates house, mate opens inspection pit in garage (it was his own garage attached to his house), B in Law drives Robin into garage - straight down the inspection pit!!! (See 'cos its only got one wheel at the front).

Unfortunately I wasn't there to see it, else I'd still be laughing my tits off.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My mate had one, back in 1975 ish. Didn't need to have passed his driving test. Four of us went out regularly in it. Him and GF in front, me and GF laying out in the back. Great fun, different times!

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
Not a Robin, but remember the 'Invalid Car', not a very nicer term than, let alone in today's politically correct environment.

I always remember seeing them behind the goal at Stamford Bridge.

PC _68436167_ac_invacar2.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
true Story

My brother in law used to have one cos he had a motor bike license and couldn't/wouldn't pass his car driving test.

It developed a problem.
Cue mate with an interest in cars and a garage with an inspection pit in it; "bring it round on Saturday and we'll sort it out".

B in law duly goes to mates house, mate opens inspection pit in garage (it was his own garage attached to his house), B in Law drives Robin into garage - straight down the inspection pit!!! (See 'cos its only got one wheel at the front).

Unfortunately I wasn't there to see it, else I'd still be laughing my tits off.

:lolol:

That is marvellous

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not a Robin, but remember the 'Invalid Car', not a very nicer term than, let alone in today's politically correct environment.

I always remember seeing them behind the goal at Stamford Bridge.

PC View attachment 72408

They used to shove them in the corner between the south and west stand at the Goldstone.

I've seen a Reliant tip over, simply trying to turn right. Fortunately the occupants were unharmed.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Now I thought it did have reverse but you had to switch the engine off then restart it going the other way, or something. Rumours of lorries revering and crushing Schmitts before they had time to turn the engine around!!

No reverse gear is a problem though, very un German

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
This is my Reliant Supervan III parked outside my house in Grange Road, Hove in 1980. With only having a full motor bike license, when my son was born, it had to be a Reliant.
The best thing about driving one of these was when it snowed. Your front wheel followed the hump of snow made by four-wheeled cars, and after a short while, it felt like your head was going to separate from your neck due to the excessive vibration. You then went where ever the track took you whether you liked it or not!

Attachments

• Reliant Supervan 3 1980.bmp
    1.7 MB · Views: 106

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Lol I had a Bond 3 wheeler, the old one with aluminium body and Villiers 250 engine that you opened the bonnet and kick started.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My father, for reasons known only to himself, decided to roll his car into the back of a RR that was waiting to go around the Perrymount Road roundabout in HH to "see if it will fall apart". It didn't. The driver got a bit cross though.

D

Deleted member 2719

Anyone who actually managed to get a bird whilst owning a Reliant must have had a cock like a babys arm.

I had a mate who had a RR, he was only 19, the reason he had it was because he had his motorcycle license but not his car license, he had many girls enjoying the ride on his Resin Rocket, he used to find it a challenge to tip it onto two wheels while on his gravy strokes.
Fair play to him I reckon.

You should try it.:rock:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I quite often pass the same one coming down the A23 between about 6 and half 6 in the evening on my way home from work, with some old codger hunched behind the wheel doing about 40mph.

I remember him near the Pycombe turn off, smoking a pipe with smoke billowing out the window. They must last though as I retired 6 years ago :eek:

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Ashamed to admit that back in the 60's I had a Bond 3 wheeler with it's Villiers 197cc 2 stroke engine. Trust me it was only because courting with only a Velocette Venom was extremely difficult. It was an absolute pig to drive and one memorable moment well remembered was driving up Millers Rd. in icy conditions it failed to take the left hand bend and just kept straight on. Lack of reverse was no problem, you just turned the steering wheel on hard lock and eureka!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I had a mate who had a RR, he was only 19, the reason he had it was because he had his motorcycle license but not his car license, he had many girls enjoying the ride on his Resin Rocket, he used to find it a challenge to tip it onto two wheels while on his gravy strokes.
Fair play to him I reckon.

You should try it.:rock:

Do I know you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here