Have you made a will?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Ok, I'm getting to the point where I can't avoid my responsibilities any longer so I'm going to do it. I'm going to make a will.

"Who cares?" I hear you cry.

Has anyone who's done it got any advice?

Should I go for the "official" solicitors route which I would imagine will be a bit pricey or should I go for one of those cheap Tesco will kits where you can bequeath all your worldly possesions on the back of a Value cornflakes packet?

Or should I just let my relatives fight it out amongst themselves and have a bit of fun from beyond the grave. Be a real ghost so to speak.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Thanks for the reminder - we've made one with the solicitors - although a friggin palaver - with the witnessing and crap - paid £250 odd pounds for the pleasure - which is OTT I reckon.....anyhow we need to ammend it now for our expanded family - so I spoze another £100 or so for the pleasure...

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Barclays did mine, I just filled out a form and sent it to them, all very painless..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I did a will using Will Aid, run along the lines of Live Aid. Go to the link, stick in your postcode and it gives you a list of participating solicitors in your area. Instead of paying the solicitors usual fees, you make a donation to one of a range of charities. Suggested donation level is currently £75, which seems fair.

Will Aid

The link says the next Will Aid campaign is in November 2006.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It really depends how complicated your life is. If you can simply leave it all to a few people and there is no conflicts ie kids from previous relationships etc, then a simple diy kit is straight forwards and is perfectly legal. If however your life is complicated go to a solicitor.

By the way you can easily write a statement of wishes, as long as its witnessed thats fine.

The shortest will to ever be fulfilled is that of a WW1 soldier who was dying in battle and scribbled on a piece of paper "to mum".

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Rangdo said:
Should I go for the "official" solicitors route which I would imagine will be a bit pricey or should I go for one of those cheap Tesco will kits where you can bequeath all your worldly possesions on the back of a Value cornflakes packet?

Depends on how complicated you want it to be... Lots of different benefactors; different amounts to each etc. Unless it's very simple and a case of "I leave everything to the budgie" or whatever, then solicitors can give better peace of mind even if they cost more.

(Edit: which is what Piltdown Man just said 30 seconds ahead of me...)

I cut a deal with mine and got it done at the same time as buying a house - I got a discount for conveyancing and writing wills at the same time...

Last edited:

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
tedebear said:
paid £250

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

I work in a solicitors office and we charge €40 for a single will or €60 for a married couple and we keep the original in a fireproof safe so it can't get lost or damaged.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Shegull said:

I work in a solicitors office and we charge €40 for a single will or €60 for a married couple and we keep the original in a fireproof safe so it can't get lost or damaged.

Yeah, but you've also got a letter hanging off the sign outside :p

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Shegull said:

Bargain.

If I send a copy of my UK will, can I mirror it over here?

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
MYOB said:
Yeah, but you've also got a letter hanging off the sign outside :p

Maybe we should start charging more so that we can afford to have repairs carried out :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

memo to self - must contact handyman

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports