Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you held an Olympic medal?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Assuming nobody here has won one :lol:

Any of the winners turned up on a PR promo thingy, medal in tow.

For me it was Bev Callender's 4x100 bronze, in Moscow, when she came to my Cub's meeting.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I came 4th in a race which Daley Thompson won by some distance (inter school sports day) :D
That's third loser, Clipped.
In it to win it.

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Yes - held Steve Batchelor's Gold medal from the hockey in Seoul 1988.

I was working at a school in Surrey, near where he grew up (and still lives, I think), and I expect somebody at the school "knew" him through his postman's daughter's hairdresser's accountant (or some such...) and got him to come to the school, do an assembly talk while passing his medal round.

Top bloke.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I have hot bunked with a couple of Olympic medal holders. ( Only in a manly way of course, as they had just removed themselves from said bunk, to go and do their Gold medal sailing stuff on the Yacht.)
As far as I know their medals where elsewhere at the time, so no I haven't actually held one. ( Medal that is.)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yes one of Sir Steve Redgrave golds. Cant remember from which Olympics tho.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Better not have a weak neck this year..... i held one in melbourne at the Australian national Museum of Sport which has literally dozens of them on show!

Although the organising of each host city will come up with the exact design and composition of medals, the International Olympic Committee has set certain rules. Notably, gold medals must have 92.5% minimum silver content and contain at least six grams of gold. In London, the remaining weight will be made up by copper. It weighs nearmly a pound

By taking into account the current prices of both gold and silver, Currencies Direct estimate that a London gold medal is worth approximately GBP 450. It is also believe that, in spite of inflation and rising gold prices, the London gold medal has a higher "podium value" of any other previous winning medal.

But, rather curiously, London 2012 is the first time ever that the silver in this year's gold medal is worth more than its gold content!

Last edited:

Egon Spengler

Jul 5, 2011
Steve Ovett's Gold and Bronze in 1980. I think my Middle School teacher was his training partner and borrowed them for the day.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Steve Ovett's Gold and Bronze in 1980. I think my Middle School teacher was his training partner and borrowed them for the day.
I would have thought his name would have popped up more.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Yes, one of Steve Redgrave's. Ended up pissed in the bar (me not him) discussing the lack of competitive sports in schools. He is a hooge bloke!

Not an olympic medal but a refs medal from the aussie ref in mexico 86???

Attachments

• scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 17

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yesterday. Met Duncan Goodhew at the Sussex School olympics and held his swimming gold medal from 1980. top bloke!

Have held that same medal at a corporate bash

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
Yes, Steve Williams, double Olympic gold medallist with Steve Redgrave, visited my school. Also, one of my parents (of the children) carried the Olympic torch through Somerset so I have held that too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here