Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have We Turned The Corner?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hopefully, we are hard to beat and we create chances every game.

Confidence in the defence is 100% better with Sanchez wearing to gloves and Veltman has been extremely impressive.

Midfield are starting to work wonders, we all rave about Biss but we need to really big up Gross and Mac who have really contributed in impressive quick counter-attacks.

Maupay seems to have his mojo back, Welbeck not sure and Connolly needs game time.

Tross is the enigma for me, hopefully a goal will boost his confidence.

I know he is marmite at present but to me Webster has been the star of the show, resilient and really upped his game.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Just please don’t tinker too much Potter - please!

Very much this. Last night was the same team that played Fulham and only one change from the team that beat Leeds. Unless there are injuries/ suspensions or serious fatigue then I'd like to see the same starting 11 against both Liverpool and Burnley - they can rest for the FA Cup game at Leicester. We need to make the most of being in good form

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Half time v Wolves, or more specifically winning that penalty within the first minute of the restart, feels like a pivotal moment of the season similar to that penalty save that Stockdale made back in the early months of 2015 - I can't actually remember the opposition now!

Also, performances have definitely improved since Graham Potter started wearing smarter match-day outfits.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This. People were saying similar things after we beat Leeds then we proceeded to fail to beat (and nearly lose to) Fulham. You can't claim to have turned a corner until you've made it stick.

You seriously have a jaundiced view of the Albion. We didn't beat Fulham, but we hammered them. We all know that our finishing was the issue. Looking purely at the quality of the way we played you can't say we nearly lost. You can say, we should have won comfortably, bar the finishing. If you can't see a pattern in what's going on (tightened defence, more control, settled side, wave after wave of attack, strong teams being made to look ordinary, oppo relieved if they get away with a point etc) then you are being willfully obtuse.

We know you're not a Potter fan. I wonder if you're really an Albion fan. Try for once to be objective, rather than look to reinfoirce your very fixed beliefs, and you may see the recent performances for what they are - a big step forward from a place where we were already showing potnetial but things were just failing to click.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Like some I’ve been very frustrated watching us for most of this season.
I’ve thought that GP wasn’t the man for us and have had very little patience with him and Reed.
However since the introduction of Sanchez in goal it’s become evident to me that the 3 at the back
have grown in confidence. McA starting regularly has made things happen and generally we look very good.
I would like to say that after looking back since the start of the year that my ideas about GP were wrong,not just because of last nights results but our form since the great comeback against Wolves.I tend to let my frustrations cloud my judgement on what is actually happening.We have been very unlucky in a lot of games not to get more than we ended up with.
Souness made a very interesting comment last night he said,I’m paraphrasing,that anyone
who knew anything about the game would realise that if you kept playing like we do that eventually you would turn a corner. I think this has happened for us since the Wolves game.
I’m just going to try not to get frustrated and start judging players and the management like I have been
Your .... shouldn’t be starting him Potter type of attitude just isn’t how I want to be anymore
My dad took me to my first Albion game in 1968 and I’ve never supported any other club
I love the Albion and today I feel very proud to say that.
Also Graham if I could change my vote this morning on the many polls I’ve taken part in I would
So sorry Mr P keep up this momentum and I’ve no doubt we will be fine this season.
I’ve also realised I know very little so I’m gonna keep my big gob shut and let those paid to do the job do it without my two pennath worth
UTA GOSBTS

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good news that a settled side appears to be finally emerging from the tinkering. Great performance! But before we get too carried away, that was one helluva stuttering Spurs side, far more interested in sideways and backward passing than in trying to impose their game on us. Far worse Spurs side than the one we beat 3-0 t'other season

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
" Brighton are miles too good to go down "

This is still a concern, we're at the Tee junction and can clearly see round the corner, but we're not quite round it yet. JR did say last night we lack the killer instinct, he's not wrong. nail a few games home from here and I think we can safely say we have turned, and no looking back.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I think the corner has been turned, and I wonder if the team genuinely believes they can get something at Anfield? A big ask, but we do look solid at the back and City only squeaked past us.

With Burnley coming up at the weekend, I'd guess Potter will make a lot of changes for Liverpool.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It's a great feeling in knowing we played Spuds off the park on Sunday.
Realistically whatever we do as a club against any other PL side, it will always be about the opposition, we rarely get a mention in dispatches these days.
At the end of the day, it is what the Albion fans know and that what counts in my opinion.

Oh so true, apparently Spurs didn't turn up, which is weird as I could have sworn I saw Jose there. It was the same against Leeds, who apparently had an off day - no credit at all to Brighton, or Potter, for making those teams under achieve on the day.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You seriously have a jaundiced view of the Albion. We didn't beat Fulham, but we hammered them. We all know that our finishing was the issue. Looking purely at the quality of the way we played you can't say we nearly lost. You can say, we should have won comfortably, bar the finishing. If you can't see a pattern in what's going on (tightened defence, more control, settled side, wave after wave of attack, strong teams being made to look ordinary, oppo relieved if they get away with a point etc) then you are being willfully obtuse.

We know you're not a Potter fan. I wonder if you're really an Albion fan. Try for once to be objective, rather than look to reinfoirce your very fixed beliefs, and you may see the recent performances for what they are - a big step forward from a place where we were already showing potnetial but things were just failing to click.

Just because I have a different opinion to you on things doesn't make you a better fan than me. I should remind you that bar a last minute incredible block by Dunk we would have lost that Fulham game.

Forgive me if I'm not getting all happy clappy yet.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
My general feel is that we've turned the corner defensively. That's helping the midfield play with more confidence, which is in turn helping us get forward a bit more. Given we're still not converting as many chances as we should, we need to create more chances (and better ones). I think we're looking around that corner, now - we've scored a couple of cracking team goals recently through creating chances that are near enough impossible to miss. Hopefully, that'll help build confidence in the forwards and we can start moving up the table.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Like some I’ve been very frustrated watching us for most of this season.
I’ve thought that GP wasn’t the man for us and have had very little patience with him and Reed.
However since the introduction of Sanchez in goal it’s become evident to me that the 3 at the back
have grown in confidence. McA starting regularly has made things happen and generally we look very good.
I would like to say that after looking back since the start of the year that my ideas about GP were wrong,not just because of last nights results but our form since the great comeback against Wolves.I tend to let my frustrations cloud my judgement on what is actually happening.We have been very unlucky in a lot of games not to get more than we ended up with.
Souness made a very interesting comment last night he said,I’m paraphrasing,that anyone
who knew anything about the game would realise that if you kept playing like we do that eventually you would turn a corner. I think this has happened for us since the Wolves game.
I’m just going to try not to get frustrated and start judging players and the management like I have been
Your .... shouldn’t be starting him Potter type of attitude just isn’t how I want to be anymore
My dad took me to my first Albion game in 1968 and I’ve never supported any other club
I love the Albion and today I feel very proud to say that.
Also Graham if I could change my vote this morning on the many polls I’ve taken part in I would
So sorry Mr P keep up this momentum and I’ve no doubt we will be fine this season.
I’ve also realised I know very little so I’m gonna keep my big gob shut and let those paid to do the job do it without my two pennath worth
UTA GOSBTS

This post is far too sensible for NSC. I agree with almost every word of it.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We've been turning the corner ever since Hughton was sacked. It's a very long corner with plenty of obstacles on the way, to stretch the analogy.

For me the most obvious change in recent weeks has been the development of a solid back 3 in Webster, Dunk, Burn playing that low block to keep things secure when under pressure, when previously Potter would frequently change our defensive shape to try and take control of the game, eg West Brom, Leicester, Wolves when we've found Burn as left back of a four or White as part of a centre back pair, neither of which have worked. Accepting having to defend under pressure and holding what we have has been key in the last few weeks and they've barely been breached.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
With Burnley coming up at the weekend, I'd guess Potter will make a lot of changes for Liverpool.
Had we been a point or two from Fulham I'd agree with you, but we are now almost as close to Fulham as we are Southampton in 11th. Therefore, I don't think he needs to go into these two games thinking "avoid defeat at Burnley at all costs" anymore. I reckon he'll make 2, maybe 3 changes at most.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just because I have a different opinion to you on things doesn't make you a better fan than me. I should remind you that bar a last minute incredible block by Dunk we would have lost that Fulham game.

Forgive me if I'm not getting all happy clappy yet.

I'm not a better fan than you. But I appear to be one that sees positives more easily and perhaps I'm not as stuck in my own perspective that I can accept that things are changing.

And your point about Dunk is nonsense. Of course they would have won if that had gone in. And we'd have won 5-0 if our five on target shots had gone in. You're missing the point.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This to this. :clap2:

Hopefully, we are hard to beat and we create chances every game.

Confidence in the defence is 100% better with Sanchez wearing to gloves and Veltman has been extremely impressive.

Midfield are starting to work wonders, we all rave about Biss but we need to really big up Gross and Mac who have really contributed in impressive quick counter-attacks.

Maupay seems to have his mojo back, Welbeck not sure and Connolly needs game time.

Tross is the enigma for me, hopefully a goal will boost his confidence.

I know he is marmite at present but to me Webster has been the star of the show, resilient and really upped his game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here