Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we just had a near miss over Hove ?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Vertical separation [Air Traffic Control]
Between the surface and an altitude of 29,000 feet (8,800 m), no aircraft should come closer vertically than 300 metres, unless some form of horizontal separation is provided (Note: for countries that measure altitude in feet, a 1,000 foot minimum is observed rather than the 984.252 feet found in 300 meters). Above 29,000 feet (8,800 m), no aircraft shall come closer than 600 m (or 2,000 feet), except in airspace where Reduced Vertical Separation Minima (RVSM) can be applied.

Your picture is unclear in the 3rd dimension of altitude but I'd suggest, nothing to worry about. The Air Accident Investigation Board do also investigate Air Prox violations as well as actual crashes too.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It gives an insight into someone's character when they look in awe at aircraft in the sky.

Very true. It's a bit of an expression in our family, but if we want to say how backward a place is we say "it's the sort of place where the locals still point at airplanes"

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I was on a plane about a year ago and as it came in to land all of a sudden the engines start getting really loud as we pull up ridiculously hard... Turns out there was a plane taking off as we were landing.... Little bit scary....

I used to work right next to Gatwick, could see the planes coming in to land from the office window. One evening as I was leaving a plane was coming into land, it went out of view behind the trees at the end of the car park, next moment a massive roar of the engines went up and the plane appeared above the trees again. Can only assume it must have been a matter of feet from the ground when the pilot aborted the landing. Glad I wasn't on board.

Had exactly this a few weeks ago at Gatwick too. Pilot said 'the captain of the 777 on the runway has decided not to go for now, so we'll pop back round again and give him time to finish his coffee'. Also had the same in New York - that was much worse (psychologically) as it was the first time I'd been back there after 9/11.

The same thing happened to me last year as well. We were just about to land when engines roared and up we went to go round again, no explanation given and a bit unsettling.
As we went back up my daughter looked out of the window and could see a Virgin 747 that hadn't cleared the runway after landing.

It does happen remarkably regularly - used to see it all the time at Gatwick - if it's coming in from the east it will normally veer off at the last minute over Crawley for one more circle. Seen it a few times from the front of the train to as I've been coming into Gatwick - always quite an impressive roar.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I was on a plane about a year ago and as it came in to land all of a sudden the engines start getting really loud as we pull up ridiculously hard... Turns out there was a plane taking off as we were landing.... Little bit scary....

On our way into Aberdeen a couple of years back the pilot was told that he may have to be redirected to Glasgow due to bad weather. Up went the groans of the passengers, after which the pilot continued his announcement by saying "but despite the weather, it might be a bit choppy, but we'll give it a go."

Suddenly, the bravado of the groaners was replaced by complete silence save for 200 people taking a deep gulp.

He landed first time. The visibility was shocking and I couldn't see more than a 50 feet out of the window I swear. Fair play.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
On our way into Aberdeen a couple of years back the pilot was told that he may have to be redirected to Glasgow due to bad weather. Up went the groans of the passengers, after which the pilot continued his announcement by saying "but despite the weather, it might be a bit choppy, but we'll give it a go."

Suddenly, the bravado of the groaners was replaced by complete silence save for 200 people taking a deep gulp.

He landed first time. The visibility was shocking and I couldn't see more than a 50 feet out of the window I swear. Fair play.
Pretty sure they use autopilot in poor visibility?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here