Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have we ever gone a month without scoring?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
One for the stattos but I can’t remember one

there must have been times when we were barn door billys

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Definitely remember something similar under Hughton in his first season when we just survived in the Championship.

We did, if we go with own goals not counting as us scoring. Bruno scored for us against Wolves on March 14th, the next time a Brighton player found the net was Dale Stephens on April 18th away to Wigan. There was an own goal scored by Matt Kilgallon as we won 1-0 away at Blackburn, but no Brighton player scored a goal between those two games.

We also managed it at Gillingham in the 97-98 season. Kerry Mayo scored the third goal for us in a 3-2 win over Chester on Feb 28th 1998, we then didn't bother the scorers for 5 games before Jeff Minton scored in a 2-1 home win against Scunthorpe on April 4th. There was no own goal to save our blushes either that season.

Last edited:

Altered State

Feb 19, 2008
Olney, Bucks
A long time ago now, but I remember a long goalless spell when Chris Cattlin was manager. He commented we just needed to score with the ball bobbling in off someone's knee to open the floodgates (paraphrasing). Oh for a goal off someone's knee, or any other part of the anatomy, now ...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

just hit my 40th year as a fan and this is the first time ive gone a month without caring if we scored. practically the whole 40 years weve been fighting for promo or avoiding relegation for near on the whole season but after the Roma capitulation i practically gave up then. still watched half the bmouth game until we went 2 down but im meh now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
just hit my 40th year as a fan and this is the first time ive gone a month without caring if we scored. practically the whole 40 years weve been fighting for promo or avoiding relegation for near on the whole season but after the Roma capitulation i practically gave up then. still watched half the bmouth game until we went 2 down but im meh now.

We see the comic side, as an antidote. “Dad, guess what, we’ve conceded an early goal, again”, followed by taking the p.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think a lot of us feel like this. Which is exactly why it shouldn't be a surprise that the team are feeling this way too. Lets all just get to the end of the season, have a break, re-tool, and go again with renewed optimism. No need to start calling for sackings or other drama.

You're right that this is the first time in a very very long time that we haven't had anything to play for. Its a strange feeling - but also speaks to how lucky we've been as fans. In another world we could have been supporting Bristol City through this period.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here