Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have to say well done Saints

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How many tens of millions of pounds have Southampton spent?

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
How many tens of millions of pounds have Southampton spent?

First season back in the Prem we spent about £30 million on: Ramirez (Bologna, £12m), Rodriguez (Burnley, £7m), Clyne (Palace, £3m-ish), Gazziniga (GK, Gillingham £1m), Yoshida (Venlo, £3m ish), Forren (Norway club, £2.5), Davis (Rangers-but-not-really on-a-free but we paid them 800k - fantastic deal!)

This season we only brought in 3 players: Wanyama (Celtic, £12m), Lovren (Lyon, 8m - bargain of the century, outstanding scoop), Osvaldo (Roma, £15m).

We also mopped up Artur Boruc on a Bosman for free. Ex Celtic keeper, Polish international. A lottery win if ever there was one. I imagine he will be on good wages and/or had a handsome signing on fee but what a keeper!

However over the last two seasons we sent Forren back to the club he came from for £2m and sent Oxlade Chamberlain to Woolwich for £12m. Also, I believe Real Madrid/Spurs had to give us £2.5 million for training Bale. So over since being back in the Prem our net spend has been about £48 million. However all the new players - and the youngsters Shaw, Ward Prowse and Chambers (a real star of the future) are on 4-5 year deals. Also, they are all 25 or younger. There is no doubt that the money spent is neither out of keeping with the income of the club or that the players will not at the very least maintain their value - but more than likely increase substantially.

The trick is to buy good young players, pay them a good wage if need be which can be afforded out of the ridiculous Prem income, get them on 5 year deals, add in 2-3 academy players per year which have cost you nothing, put in the spotlight again on 5 year deals. Sprinkle in a few older players, but ones who are genuine talent and who are still not over 30 so will still have a sell on value. Rinse and repeat every season and if a club comes in for one of your players and is prepared to pay silly money take it.

As a Saints fan, I am in no doubt that the money we have spent - and yes, it is towards the high end of the clubs in the Prem - is going to repay in spades. Especially as there is something like £5m per place in the table up for grabs in prize money.

Last edited:

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Unethical. Think of the local tradesmen / craftsmen who never received payment for their labour when they went into administration. Only a few weeks later they spent a million on Lambert. I or one couldn't possibly congratulate them.

Feb 14, 2010
Errrr...........two seasons ago they got 30,000+ in the second tier for Bristol City, Palace, Pompey, Reading, Doncaster, West Ham, the Albion and Coventry, so I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

They did during a promotion season for important games, not when in the bottom half of the second tier, against Watford and when on TV. Only point I'm making is that Brighton have before got bigger gates than Saints despite lower league football and it only takes a small piece of forward thinking to think " well if they can achieve x then we should be able to achieve x plus 1". But good luck to them, Saints are not a club that I have any strong feelings about either way as I remember them as the plucky little Saints in the top flight playing at the Dingly Dell !

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Unethical. Think of the local tradesmen / craftsmen who never received payment for their labour when they went into administration. Only a few weeks later they spent a million on Lambert. I or one couldn't possibly congratulate them.

I think you need to brush up on your facts a little. Liebhher came in, took them out of administration, and settled all their debts.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Saints were excellent last night. It also emphasised how utterly crap Palace are!

Luke Shaw is already good, but will become a TOP player. Ward-Prowse and Chambers will also be decent, and they're tied in on long contracts. Pochetinno has done a brilliant job since they sacked Adkins the ****.

Fair play to them

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Saints were excellent last night. It also emphasised how utterly crap Palace are!

Luke Shaw is already good, but will become a TOP player. Ward-Prowse and Chambers will also be decent, and they're tied in on long contracts. Pochetinno has done a brilliant job since they sacked Adkins the ****.

Fair play to them

Hard to argue.

They've spent a lot of money, but as per HoveSaints' post above, they've spent it pretty wisely.

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
I think you need to brush up on your facts a little. Liebhher came in, took them out of administration, and settled all their debts.

yes, thank you. All debts were settled in full by Saint Markus the Billionaire.

There is, however, a despicable club not too far from St Mary's which did indeed leave many local tradesmen short. Twice. Including the British Legion - who they owed collection money to. Maybe Binney on acid had that division four club in mind?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
First season back in the Prem we spent about £30 million on: Ramirez (Bologna, £12m), Rodriguez (Burnley, £7m), Clyne (Palace, £3m-ish), Gazziniga (GK, Gillingham £1m), Yoshida (Venlo, £3m ish), Forren (Norway club, £2.5), Davis (Rangers-but-not-really on-a-free but we paid them 800k - fantastic deal!)

This season we only brought in 3 players: Wanyama (Celtic, £12m), Lovren (Lyon, 8m - bargain of the century, outstanding scoop), Osvaldo (Roma, £15m).

We also mopped up Artur Boruc on a Bosman for free. Ex Celtic keeper, Polish international. A lottery win if ever there was one. I imagine he will be on good wages and/or had a handsome signing on fee but what a keeper!

However over the last two seasons we sent Forren back to the club he came from for £2m and sent Oxlade Chamberlain to Woolwich for £12m. Also, I believe Real Madrid/Spurs had to give us £2.5 million for training Bale. So over since being back in the Prem our net spend has been about £48 million. However all the new players - and the youngsters Shaw, Ward Prowse and Chambers (a real star of the future) are on 4-5 year deals. Also, they are all 25 or younger. There is no doubt that the money spent is neither out of keeping with the income of the club or that the players will not at the very least maintain their value - but more than likely increase substantially.

The trick is to buy good young players, pay them a good wage if need be which can be afforded out of the ridiculous Prem income, get them on 5 year deals, add in 2-3 academy players per year which have cost you nothing, put in the spotlight again on 5 year deals. Sprinkle in a few older players, but ones who are genuine talent and who are still not over 30 so will still have a sell on value. Rinse and repeat every season and if a club comes in for one of your players and is prepared to pay silly money take it.

As a Saints fan, I am in no doubt that the money we have spent - and yes, it is towards the high end of the clubs in the Prem - is going to repay in spades. Especially as there is something like £5m per place in the table up for grabs in prize money.

But the important point is the infrastructure of the club. There can be invest on the pitch now because the club off it is in the right shape. And that's the part we're currently concentrating on. Get the stadium built, get the training facilities where they need to be and have the whole club geared up for not just getting promoted to the Premier League and hoping for the best (Palace), but going up with a sustainable model and with the chance to not just survive, but thrive. Southampton are a club pulling in one direction, like West Brom. Southampton are the model we should follow, get the house in order first and then push on and build on the pitch. Short term sacrifice for a long term success.

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
But the important point is the infrastructure of the club. There can be invest on the pitch now because the club off it is in the right shape. And that's the part we're currently concentrating on. Get the stadium built, get the training facilities where they need to be and have the whole club geared up for not just getting promoted to the Premier League and hoping for the best (Palace), but going up with a sustainable model and with the chance to not just survive, but thrive. Southampton are a club pulling in one direction, like West Brom. Southampton are the model we should follow, get the house in order first and then push on and build on the pitch. Short term sacrifice for a long term success.

Spot on. Another example is Arsenal who may not have won anything for yonks but have arguably the best ground in the country - brand spanking new and big - and all paid off. Now they can concentrate on winning things again. Arsenal are a well run club. Compare them to Chelski - makes you shudder how much they have over spent.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Spot on. Another example is Arsenal who may not have won anything for yonks but have arguably the best ground in the country - brand spanking new and big - and all paid off. Now they can concentrate on winning things again. Arsenal are a well run club. Compare them to Chelski - makes you shudder how much they have over spent.

And Man City. This is what happens when you try and catch up to clubs like Man Utd and Arsenal, who were established at the top of the game, overnight. Hopefully, FFP will stop that ever happening again and if this season is anything to go by, we might actually see a competitive Premier League in future where clubs run properly and with a proper plan behind them might be able to do something.

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
And Man City. This is what happens when you try and catch up to clubs like Man Utd and Arsenal, who were established at the top of the game, overnight. Hopefully, FFP will stop that ever happening again and if this season is anything to go by, we might actually see a competitive Premier League in future where clubs run properly and with a proper plan behind them might be able to do something.

(think you will find it is Man U who are trying to catch up to us at the moment!)

Feb 14, 2010
(think you will find it is Man U who are trying to catch up to us at the moment!)

And if for no other reason, we should all be thanking The Saints... and David Moyes who for years has been trying to get Everton to finish above Man U and this season he may way succeed..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here