Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have they no shame?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
How many people on here have offered to take a pay cut from their employers? - thought not.
I did, it was my suggestion that if the cleaners from our place were not going to get paid then us teachers should take a cut to make sure they do.

We and millions of others are also continuing to do our jobs from home during this time. In my small house with a family with additional needs, this is no small thing (and without a ten Grand bonus). But we all have to make sacrifices.... Well some people obviously don't feel the need.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The PFA should be coming to an agreement with club owners the the money is ringfenced for non playing wages. That way clubs do not need to furlough and bread and butter staff continue to perform an active role, either in the club, or maybe in the community. Saves government (NHS) money, and shows empathy from players to colleagues.

The club owners are by and large business men first .................. and that's it. Would they honour any such agreement or lose it in 'clever' accounting?

(Yes, probably Tony would honour it, but who else?)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Working for some employers yes. For the likes of the Glazers and Ashley, I can see why players would rather go down their own route of donating generously to NHS charities.
Yes, probably (hopefully) many of them are - but maybe this is where the PFA needs to come in and co-ordinate things. A bit of transparency - and probably some targeted to the stewards and ground-staff etc. to prevent the owners going to the government (taxpayers) to pay for the furlough.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Television.

But football clubs are private companies. It’s up to them what they pay their staff.

Do you mean Eastenders?

And my critique is not of the club about players wages, it is of the clubs rush to take public money whilst the players continue to sit back and allow this whilst watching colleagues get furloughed.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I am sure they have their reasons, many players come from a poor background and will be supporting their family back home more than usual. Some may only be on 12 months left and others on youth contracts. Getting a bit sick of the behaviour of the media targetting footballers when there are plenty of other people earning that kind of money.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are you going to comment on tax exiles who donate to the Tories and don't pay tax. Or are you just going to attack footballers, as the Tories want everyone to
Seeing as how this thread is about footballers ............................. perhaps that will give you a clue.

Personally, I'd be happy to join in another thread about greedy barstewards, Tory or otherwise, living in tax havens. For now, do you think that footballers should do something to help the country or not?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Are you going to comment on tax exiles who donate to the Tories and don't pay tax. Or are you just going to attack footballers, as the Tories want everyone to

Who tax exiles donate to is up to them. But to watch your lower paid colleagues being out out to grass on government money whilst you sit back and accept £1.5 million take home must surely make you think?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Getting a bit sick of the behaviour of the media targetting footballers when there are plenty of other people earning that kind of money.

But not for doing bugger all whilst watching lower paid colleagues only getting by because the government are giving away money.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
But not for doing bugger all whilst watching lower paid colleagues only getting by because the government are giving away money.

Acutally yes for doing bugger all other than leaching off of other people. Footballers are employees the people i am talking about are the owners.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
If a player was injured and out for 3, 6 or 12 months no one would be suggesting he or she should take a pay cut beyond any contractual agreement that might be in place.
The British press is always looking for the victim and the perpetrator, it's a element of our particular form of democracy that I find unpleasant this constant blame culture is awful the daily covid19 press briefing followed by questions from the press trying to trip ministers and health officials into saying something to catch them out.
Footballers are an easy target very visible and for some a very small elite group incredibly lucrative.
Now I maybe wrong but have newspaper Barron's and editors, TV stars, heads of banking etc offered to take pay cuts.
All I am saying it's very one sided targeting just footballers maybe a better way is to say anyone who cannot work due to restrictions placed upon their job should receive 85% of their normal pay if funded by the company and 80% if funded by the state

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If I was on twice - or three times, or ten times - my annual income every week, I'd probably consider it.

I was telling my mate how much I valued him and told him that if I had 2 houses, I would give one of them to him, if I had 2 cars, I would give one of them to him, and then he asked "what if you had 2 bikes?" I said, "that's not fair, you know I've got 2 bikes".

It's easy to be generous with what you don't have.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How many people on here have offered to take a pay cut from their employers? - thought not.
I haven't.

My employers class me as an essential worker who cannot work from home. We have a difference of opinion over that.

As such I view my full salary as compensation / danger money and I wouldn't dream of taking a cut whilst they force me into work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here