Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have teams in our league worked us out?

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
Alot of rival teams in this league seem to be very confident about us supposedly going to slip upalong somewhere along the way. Do you think alot of team's in our league know how we play now so can break us down alot easier?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
After the Exeter game teams finally worked out that they can't let us keep the ball and pass it round as we please. Since then we've been closed down and haven't come up with a Plan B to win a match

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Yes, but speaking at the Seagulls Over London meeting Gus implied that he was relishing the challenge of outwitting opposing managers. Let's hope that zest turns to points a-plenty and a runaway title win.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think we have lost some creativity since we lost LuaLua and we start games at the wrong pace (way too slow). We are correcting one by signing Noone and hopefully we can adapt our style enough to kick off at tempo before settling in to our passing game. Once we start to pass and move there are few sides in this league able to sustain stifling tactics for the whole match but of course we need to be more clinical in taking our scoring chances when they come

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Last night we saw some 60 yard passes,which before we were lacking,and we more than help our own last night, after being 1 down in 2 minutes,and 10 men,or are charlton really that shit? the table suggests otherwise.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
No I don't think they have and there is not a team in this division who can beat us when we are on our game. We have had a bit of a stutter but remain top of the division and better to have that period now than in the run in. Last season promoted automatically were Norwich (lost 9 games) and Leeds (lost 10) so far as we near the half way point we have lost just 3

A few good results and we will be back on track not the time for panic but the time to get behind a fantastic team and manager

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree, last night made me believe we will win the league. We were 10 men but still on top.

I agree with this.

John Byrne on the phone in said a few weeks ago that teams had worked us out and just shut up shop and let us attack them and we couldnt break them down. If they attacked us they left holes at the back for us to exploit. Perhaps our transfer dealings in January will rectify that and make us sharper in front of goal if clubs do sit back and defend against us.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I agree with this.

John Byrne on the phone in said a few weeks ago that teams had worked us out and just shut up shop and let us attack them and we couldnt break them down. If they attacked us they left holes at the back for us to exploit. Perhaps our transfer dealings in January will rectify that and make us sharper in front of goal if clubs do sit back and defend against us.

This makes it even more important to start games at a quick tempo. If we go goal ahead then teams have to come out and play. It's also key that we get a striker who takes the chances.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If we can out play a rival near the top with 10 men then we are in with a very good chance of promotion in my view.

Even if we had lost last night I would still be very confident as we were quality even less a player on the pitch.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Gus is tactically superb, he showed that on wednesday. Now we just need a striker and I'm confident that we'll get promoted

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
With eleven players we would have beaten Charlton. Most of their reporting said that we were the better side. All we need to do is to bury the likes of Orient. Exeter will be a different matter, remember their last home result. Get three points there and the rest of this league might as well wave bye, bye.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We had a man sent of, we conceded a penalty in the first minute but we out-played the form side in the league. Gus's team can play anyone and win. Despite only getting a draw - and extending our poor run to six games - I came away believing, as many do on this thread, that we really have the stuff to get promoted.

I think Tony Bloom will back Gus this transfer window (read his letter in the Privilege Card box) and we will go up.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
With Noone and hopefully another couple of decent signings in January, we will only get better. The Charlton game showed we have great team spirit. In previous times, we would have caved in after conceeding an early goal and having a player sent off. We haven't got any 'big time charlies' to upset the balance. Viva Gus!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Despite only getting a draw - and extending our poor run to six games

I really wish people would be slightly less pessimistic about our recent results. Of those six I would have taken the draws against Southampton and Charlton and even the defeat against Huddersfield wasn't that unexpected. I think people have become too used to our first third of the season form. I believe we would have taken all six points against Notts County and D&R if the games had gone ahead and that would have put us 10 points clear !!!! We've had a minor blip but are still playing decent football - no need to start panicking yet.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What the team try to do is not rocket science. Win the ball, and retain possession at the back looking for gaps. The obvious way of countering this is to close down our men on the ball as quickly as possible.

But really, would this thread even exist if we could score from the penalty spot?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
What the team try to do is not rocket science. Win the ball, and retain possession at the back looking for gaps. The obvious way of countering this is to close down our men on the ball as quickly as possible.

But really, would this thread even exist if we could score from the penalty spot?

I find it rather strange that this thread exists at all being four points clear with a game in hand and after Charlton, the divisions form side, could not beat us. If they couln't beat us 10 vs 11 then, I would say who cares if people worked us out if they still can't beat us. Remember, we've only lost twice all season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here