[Football] Have Bournemouth hit the right targets?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Is their transfer window that great?!

Billing looked okay for Huddersfield until he threw a strop and basically refused to play.

A winger from the Belgian league who has played 61 professional league games. 40 of which were in the Dutch second division
Two defenders; one who played in the Championship, one who played in League One.

So when we sign Webster the entire difference between our windows will be they’ve signed a midfielder from a relegated club who had a stinking attitude, and our Belgian league winger has played 3 times the games and won a league title. Yet they’re having a great window and ours is apparently shit. :lolol:

But as they finished quite a bit above us and beat of 5-0 they are more likely to get away with a poor transfer window than us...

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
You would have thought with the massive payday of the Premier League they’d build themselves a larger stadium. Quite similarly to us, they have a huge catchment area, so why not spend the money on something more long term than Jordon Ibe or Dominic Solanke and really make a go of being an established PL/upper Champ club?

Because they don't own their ground, they sold it to a property investment firm and lease it back, so their Rusky part owner investing millions into building a bigger a better stadium will just add value to someone else's pocket. Plus the local council said no to plans submitted.

The investment firm have stated that they won't sell as they're making loads of money from Plucky and even if they did get planning and built a new stadium, any extra proceeds from increased gate attendance will be offset by a rent increase. Bit of tension between them.

They've been looking for a new stadium site for years. Almost makes you feel sorry for them. Or maybe not....

https://bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/structadene-chief-wishes-cherries-well-in-search/

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
They've been looking for a new stadium site for years. Almost makes you feel sorry for them. Or maybe not....

Not.

The author of that piece clearly believes that our stadium build/funding model is not good enough for them.

“Club left forever in massive debt to owners paying a fortune to build (see Brighton)”

Hope their rent went up massively this year.

Jan 15, 2014
I know there isn't a lot of love for us on here but I thought I'd try and fill in some of the details.

For all their 'success' in recent years, I would question what the legacy of this financially rewarding period in their history will be.

There isn't much easily available free land in a cornubantion like Bournemouth. After several years of looking for a suitable site, the club finally managed to buy a golf course and will be turning it into a top new training facility. I'd say this will be the first part of the legacy:

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/club-news/new-training-complex-work-to-commence

This is also the first domino that needs to be knocked over for further infrastructure development.

You would have thought with the massive payday of the Premier League they’d build themselves a larger stadium. Quite similarly to us, they have a huge catchment area, so why not spend the money on something more long term than Jordon Ibe or Dominic Solanke and really make a go of being an established PL/upper Champ club?

You would have thought, of all the clubs in the England, fans of Brighton would get that finding a suitable site for a stadium can be a little bit tricky and doesn't always happen in a year or five.

Several potential sites were investigated in detail but ultimately dismissed as impossible for one reason or another. In the end the conclusion was reached that redeveloping in the current location is the only option but this is very complicated for a number of reasons.

1. The landlords of the current stadium are apparently being very difficult. However, they only own up to one of the penalty spots so will be forced to work with the club at some point since the club still retain ownership of a tranche of the stadium. Expect this one that will run and run for a while.

2. Local residents likely won't be keen on a larger stadium. We've had big problems with them before.

3. Most of the land in the park is owned by the council but protected under an act of parliament which will make it a legal minefield.

The plan as tentatively agreed with the council is some kind of land swap which will allow a larger stadium in another part of the park away from the houses. However, for the land swap to take place we need to move the first team training facilities which are currently next to the stadium as that land would be part of the whole deal.

The new training complex linked above is a staged development with, I think, the first team parts due to be completed first. When that happens then we should start to see more details on the stadium plans.

Without investing in infrastructure, they are, and always will be, a bad season away from returning to whence they came.

The infrastructure investment is on the way. See above.

Only time will tell how good their signings are. What they haven’t done is made much of an investment in their youth set up. Most PL clubs have Cat 1 academies, a couple have Cat 2, Bournemouth are the only one with Cat 3. I know that our investment in youth development and the signing of young potential stars of the future doesn’t satiate the average fan’s appetite for big-name signings, but it gives me a lot of confidence for our future.

Cat 1 is designed as a closed shop. Numerous clubs at Cat 2 status have tried to get it but the goalposts are always moved to prevent it. So there is zero chance of AFCB getting it, even if the facilities were in place. The guy that designed the system created it that way as he wanted clubs to go down the Brentford route of scrapping their youth team and instead picking up players discarded by Cat 1 clubs at age 16 or 17.

I struggle with this idea as I don't think countries like France or Germany would object to having, say, 30 clubs with top youth facilities, investment and coaches but that's what is being prevented in England. Time will tell if it's the right move.

Meanwhile, when the above training complex is complete AFCB will then be given Cat 2 status. The current facilities prevent them from applying as there are minimum requirements. Even so, at Cat 2 the best players can be poached by a Cat 1 club for a derisory sum so it does discincentivise youth development for a non Cat 1 club in the PL.

Classy, coming from a Brighton fan.

Just been watching the closing stages of the friendly against Lyons with foreign commentary, only intelligible by the occasional insertion of words like 'Cherries'. Anyway, said Cherries were leading 3-0 when the stream collapsed which is a tad surprising, because it doesn't look as though a particularly strong team was fielded (at least judging by these squad numbers)....
Screenshot_20190803-171126.png

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I know there isn't a lot of love for us on here but I thought I'd try and fill in some of the details.

There isn't much easily available free land in a cornubantion like Bournemouth. After several years of looking for a suitable site, the club finally managed to buy a golf course and will be turning it into a top new training facility. I'd say this will be the first part of the legacy:

This is also the first domino that needs to be knocked over for further infrastructure development.

You would have thought, of all the clubs in the England, fans of Brighton would get that finding a suitable site for a stadium can be a little bit tricky and doesn't always happen in a year or five.

Several potential sites were investigated in detail but ultimately dismissed as impossible for one reason or another. In the end the conclusion was reached that redeveloping in the current location is the only option but this is very complicated for a number of reasons.

1. The landlords of the current stadium are apparently being very difficult. However, they only own up to one of the penalty spots so will be forced to work with the club at some point since the club still retain ownership of a tranche of the stadium. Expect this one that will run and run for a while.

2. Local residents likely won't be keen on a larger stadium. We've had big problems with them before.

3. Most of the land in the park is owned by the council but protected under an act of parliament which will make it a legal minefield.

The plan as tentatively agreed with the council is some kind of land swap which will allow a larger stadium in another part of the park away from the houses. However, for the land swap to take place we need to move the first team training facilities which are currently next to the stadium as that land would be part of the whole deal.

The new training complex linked above is a staged development with, I think, the first team parts due to be completed first. When that happens then we should start to see more details on the stadium plans.

Cat 1 is designed as a closed shop. Numerous clubs at Cat 2 status have tried to get it but the goalposts are always moved to prevent it. So there is zero chance of AFCB getting it, even if the facilities were in place. The guy that designed the system created it that way as he wanted clubs to go down the Brentford route of scrapping their youth team and instead picking up players discarded by Cat 1 clubs at age 16 or 17.

I struggle with this idea as I don't think countries like France or Germany would object to having, say, 30 clubs with top youth facilities, investment and coaches but that's what is being prevented in England. Time will tell if it's the right move.

Meanwhile, when the above training complex is complete AFCB will then be given Cat 2 status. The current facilities prevent them from applying as there are minimum requirements. Even so, at Cat 2 the best players can be poached by a Cat 1 club for a derisory sum so it does discincentivise youth development for a non Cat 1 club in the PL.

We managed to get a Cat 1 Academy so I don’t see why you couldn’t.

Jan 15, 2014
Just been watching the closing stages of the friendly against Lyons with foreign commentary, only intelligible by the occasional insertion of words like 'Cherries'. Anyway, said Cherries were leading 3-0 when the stream collapsed which is a tad surprising, because it doesn't look as though a particularly strong team was fielded (at least judging by these squad numbers)....
View attachment 113736

The team that started will be most of the team that starts next week. Ignore the numbers. We were all over them but I have to wonder about their commitment to the game. Preseason friendlies never really tell you all that much.

We managed to get a Cat 1 Academy so I don’t see why you couldn’t.

You were in the right place at the right time. It's limited to 24 teams and won't be expanded beyond that. If a team wants to drop their Cat 1 status there will be an almighty scrap for the place between all the teams that have been trying to get upgraded but can't because it's a closed shop.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

Point taken there in fairness, doesn’t reflect well on me to be so dismissive of troubles finding a site, god knows we had enough issues, I hadn’t realised how many of the same problems Bournemouth had been having. Thanks for the in depth explanation.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Smug Eddie plays an attractive brand of football. Bournemouth’s free flowing football, or Brighton with a relatively unknown manager with history of being incredibly dullard?

Easy choice. They probably don’t have massive CapEx spend. So frees up wages. Where as we are infrastructure FC, our capex soend probably eats up a large amount. That said, I’ve not properly inspected our or Bmuffs accounts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports