Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have any teams ever won a European competition before having domestic silverware?

larus

As we’ve never won anything (I discount the charity shield in 1910), would we be the first club to win a European competition without having won the top league or a major cup in their domestic league if we were to win the Europa cup?

Not saying we will nor that we’re favourites - just intrigued to know. I can’t imagine many clubs who qualify for Europe have not had domestic honours.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
As we’ve never won anything (I discount the charity shield in 1910), would we be the first club to win a European competition without having won the top league or a major cup in their domestic league if we were to win the Europa cup?

Not saying we will nor that we’re favourites - just intrigued to know. I can’t imagine many clubs who qualify for Europe have not had domestic honours.
Yes.

Bayer Leverkusen won the UEFA Cup in 1987-88.

Up until then their top honour was the Bundesliga 2 North title.

larus

Honest question because I've seen this sentiment before, why?
Because it’s not a competition. It’s a one-off game between 2 selected clubs (now it’s the league and FA cup winners). in the past, the teams selected were on different rules (no, I don’t know what they were and it’s not important IMO).

I don’t see how anyone could view the charity shield as a significant title.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Because it’s not a competition. It’s a one-off game between 2 selected clubs (now it’s the league and FA cup winners). in the past, the teams selected were on different rules (no, I don’t know what they were and it’s not important IMO).

I don’t see how anyone could view the charity shield as a significant title.
The particular season we won it, it was played between the winner of the Football League and the Southern League.
Doesn't affect my view that it's a vaguely glorified friendly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here