Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Have Amazon just given up?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I tell you who have given up - Royal Mail. I could just about put the lack of Christmas Cards down to being an unpopular arse but no post at all for several days? A year ago I was sat on tenterhooks waiting for my Charlton tickets. Those arrived in January. In the summer they failed to deliver our parking permit and we had to go to the council for a replacement after getting a ticket, and now no post at all for days on end this close to Christmas and with bills, statements and two polling cards all due.

I know there are some posties on here and I'm sure none of you are MY postie. Nor am I blaming you particularly. But what gives chaps? WTF gives?
Yep, waiting on 2 separate paid for 48 hour tracked deliveries, both over 10 days old. Tracking numbers constantly say due "today"
Bot points me to customer services, IVR points me to their website back to the bot. Queue to speak to a person was estimated at 70 minutes ffs. Someone's gonna be without xmas presents if they don't arrive by tomorrow which I can't see happening

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
RM is far from stationary. I'm a postie working long hours out on delivery 5 days out of 6. There are just too few of us to deliver the volume of work and tracked parcels and special deliveries are prioritised over everything else. Both of these - the under staffing and the down grading of letters and untracked parcels - are senior management decisions. RM has a senior management team that has publicly stated that it needs to become a '100% parcels facing business' and that RM 'must not let the universal service obligation stand in its way'. What's happening to the postal service is neither unexpected nor accidendtal; it's RM business policy.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
Apart from the fact, it should never have been privatised , it no longer should be called Royal Mail.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I tell you who have given up - Royal Mail. I could just about put the lack of Christmas Cards down to being an unpopular arse but no post at all for several days? A year ago I was sat on tenterhooks waiting for my Charlton tickets. Those arrived in January. In the summer they failed to deliver our parking permit and we had to go to the council for a replacement after getting a ticket, and now no post at all for days on end this close to Christmas and with bills, statements and two polling cards all due.

I know there are some posties on here and I'm sure none of you are MY postie. Nor am I blaming you particularly. But what gives chaps? WTF gives?
They’ve really screwed up in our street. Every morning, other than Sundays, a white van turns up, two posties get out, at this time of year dressed up as Santa and an Elf, and do their rounds. I don’t think the Post Office has rumbled this degree of excellence because if they had, they would put an immediate stop to it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I wish Amazon would give up, l want my hight street back.

Not that Cowfold exactly has a high street, but you get my drift.
If only you could park I would agree with you. I used to enjoy rummaging around in unusual tool shops and the like. Don’t mind paying a bit more for the pleasure either.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Had an Evri delivery via A Royal Mail employee on Sunday for some reason?

Not sure if this is an official partnership or the postie is running a pallet at the same time? Assuming RM would have controls in place to stop this though

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
RM is far from stationary. I'm a postie working long hours out on delivery 5 days out of 6. There are just too few of us to deliver the volume of work and tracked parcels and special deliveries are prioritised over everything else. Both of these - the under staffing and the down grading of letters and untracked parcels - are senior management decisions. RM has a senior management team that has publicly stated that it needs to become a '100% parcels facing business' and that RM 'must not let the universal service obligation stand in its way'. What's happening to the postal service is neither unexpected nor accidendtal; it's RM business policy.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
That would certainly explain it. Shocking way to run a service. My sympathies.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
To present the other side of the Royal Mail argument, they are the only operator with universal service obligation - the fixed one price goes anywhere service. Traditionally, the profits made in the towns and cities would offset the losses made delivering first class letter to the Shetland Islands.

What you have now is operators such as Amazon able to cherry pick delivering their own profitable items in towns and cities, whilst passing their unprofitable items for Royal Mail to deliver a reduced wholesale rate.

Whilst the above doesn’t account for all of the internal issues, and there are many, the company is operating in a fundamentally unfair landscape in terms of regulation.

My twopennyworth, anyway.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Apart from the fact, it should never have been privatised , it no longer should be called Royal Mail.
Yep, should have sold off the royal family instead and called it Mail

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
As an added comment, the concept of letters being delivered 6 days per week, in theory at least, is a bit of an outlier when compared to most European countries, where it averages about 3 days per week.

The volume of letters has been declining at high single digit percentages for a few years, interrupted by a brief period of recovery growth during Covid. Ultimately, within a decade there will be virtually no letters being delivered at all.

It is also worth pointing out that the majority of Royal Mail’s competitors, and I’ve worked for a few, are a) relative newcomers on the block and have b) designed their parcels operating model (and associated technology such as tracking and ability to change delivery options in real time) from the ground up. RM are trying to pivot an organisation which has hundreds of years of delivering almost exclusively letters into a business set up to deliver almost exclusively parcels.

I fully expect most people to dismiss my musings, but I’d emphasise that it is not a simple business model to run at all, even without the recent industrial relations issues.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Wrong thread !

I have no issue with Amazon, the high street was never all that, the only real shops I miss is a good record shop, but we have a few of them in Brighton, so all good.
We had a really good one in Shoreham until the tinterweb F***ed it all up . . . We've lost several in Brighton too . . . The likes of Amazon are fuel to the fire.

Give your head a wobble. I refuse to use them

I do agree the high St wasn't all that though.

The state we're in is all about greed, For 40 + years we've been sold 'aspiration' what that really means is selfishness and greed. Many of us are guilty, we've had no choice.

BoT, Amazon never gave a shit.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It's hard for Royal Mail to compete with the likes of Amazon, Evri etc whose gig economy drivers are usually oficially self employed and use their own vehicles, and have to sort their tax accounts by themselves as well.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
We had a really good one in Shoreham until the tinterweb F***ed it all up . . . We've lost several in Brighton too . . . The likes of Amazon are fuel to the fire.

Give your head a wobble. I refuse to use them

I do agree the high St wasn't all that though.

The state we're in is all about greed, For 40 + years we've been sold 'aspiration' what that really means is selfishness and greed. Many of us are guilty, we've had no choice.

BoT, Amazon never gave a shit.
People don't buy music any more. We rent it from Google, Apple and Spotify.

149 Ukrainian Hryvnia a month (£3ish) buys me all the music I want, at home, in the car, at work or just walking about. :shrug:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
People don't buy music any more. We rent it from Google, Apple and Spotify.

149 Ukrainian Hryvnia a month (£3ish) buys me all the music I want, at home, in the car, at work or just walking about. :shrug:
You're doing your bit to starve culture. I can only hope it's shit music 😂

the music industry has always been weighted, likre many industries, but its now got to the point where creativity is waning . . . 25-30 years ago, even before we got a record deal, we were a self funding band . . . Now . . . Its nigh on pay to play at the end of the day . . . And lucky to get your money back if you're brave enough to press you're own records!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My gripe with Amazon is leaving a parcel or packet outside the front door - having not bothered knocking or ringing the doorbell - so that any would-be burglar can either nick it, or think "Ah, house with no-one at home."
I'll add to that, they also ring the door take a photo of item being delivered then fvck off.
Irrespective whether you've been caught short by a trip to the trap.
They're in so much of a hurry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here