Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hate on the terraces

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Indeed. Some of the examples used on the programme such as "Does your boyfriend know you're here ?" and "We can see you holding hands." I personally would put down to playful banter with no hatred ( that said I'm not gay so it might indeed be offensive if you are ).

What concerned me was the pure hate you saw when some of the West Ham fans were singing about Spurs. How do these sort of people manage in day to day life ? Awful, and it was shameful that the police and clubs did next to nothing about it.

I fully concur. Great post Westy. :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Indeed. Some of the examples used on the programme such as "Does your boyfriend know you're here ?" and "We can see you holding hands." I personally would put down to playful banter with no hatred ( that said I'm not gay so it might indeed be offensive if you are ).

What concerned me was the pure hate you saw when some of the West Ham fans were singing about Spurs. How do these sort of people manage in day to day life ? Awful, and it was shameful that the police and clubs did next to nothing about it.

Aye, this. Is 'we can see you holding hands' any more offensive than 'you dirty Northern b*stard' ? Both regional/local stereotypes IMO and equally part of the banter I'd expect. The West Ham/Spurs stuff was on a different level and the inaction disappointing.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The stuff that was most disturbing on that documentary was the Nazi "banter", and the Everton lads' song about Sturridge was pretty unsavoury too.

The material relating to us was relatively tame by comparison. I don't tend to bat an eyelid at stuff like "we can see you holding hands" etc though I did get some really unpleasant homophobic stuff on Facebook once, from a Palace fan who was the friend of an ex work colleague, and it did make me pretty uncomfortable. I'm not gay, but the vitriol was unsettling. It's obviously a tough call for stewards and police, in the context of a football crowd, to draw a distinction between playful rivalry and something that is more threatening. Frankly I don't think stewards and paid enough or trained enough to make that call.

It wasn't a great documentary but what struck me was how much racial abuse black players get these days via social media. I genuinely don't recall hearing any black players abused at any football game and can't imagine it ever happening these days. I really thought that era was over but maybe the problem has just been moved elsewhere - very sad.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Monkey Man;6224350 Frankly I don't think stewards and paid enough or trained enough to make that call. [/QUOTE said:
Agreed. It's incredibly difficult to pinpoint who is saying something in a crowd ( it was hard enough at Withdean when I was a steward let alone within a 30k crowd at the Amex ).

Even if you can pinpoint who is saying it, if it's a group it's a high risk strategy to deal with it. Something the programme managed to not mention. In reality it needs dealing with after the event and using technology to pick up individuals, record what they are saying and then letting the police pick them off after the game or from their home addresses the next day.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The stuff that was most disturbing on that documentary was the Nazi "banter", and the Everton lads' song about Sturridge was pretty unsavoury too.

The material relating to us was relatively tame by comparison. I don't tend to bat an eyelid at stuff like "we can see you holding hands" etc though I did get some really unpleasant homophobic stuff on Facebook once, from a Palace fan who was the friend of an ex work colleague, and it did make me pretty uncomfortable. I'm not gay, but the vitriol was unsettling. It's obviously a tough call for stewards and police, in the context of a football crowd, to draw a distinction between playful rivalry and something that is more threatening. Frankly I don't think stewards and paid enough or trained enough to make that call.

It wasn't a great documentary but what struck me was how much racial abuse black players get these days via social media. I genuinely don't recall hearing any black players abused at any football game and can't imagine it ever happening these days. I really thought that era was over but maybe the problem has just been moved elsewhere - very sad.

Jesus wept some of you lot on here belong at a mothers union meeting rather than football, if you're 'unsettled' by some vitriol and it makes you feel 'uncomfortable', then send some back the other way :facepalm:

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I was at the Atletico Madrid vs Real game on Sunday. You want to see some hate you should've seen some of the stuff going on there. Lost count of how many times I heard Mono (monkey) being shouted whenever Pepe touched the ball and Puto Maricon (gay c*nt) every time Ronaldo touched it. Even heard a kid shout mono. Highly unpleasant.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
My daughter plays Sunday league and follows the Albion home and away. You want to stop her.

She's used to the abuse but felt scared and vulnerable cos she realised that could happen to her one day. Do you think that's acceptable? And she deserves to feel like that because her mum took her to Millwall?

Well that's quite a leap from what I actually said, isn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here