Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hastings United FC - New Sports Village Project Proposal

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Some classic photos there. Remember it well from when I was growing up. Thanks for putting them up.

Hastings has improved massively over the past 20 years. Still a lot of unemployment and social problems unfortunately.

I appreciated the pictures as well, though have only been here for 14 years, so don't remember some of them. My neighbour often laments the destruction of the old cricket ground. I fully endorse Quinney's points - my relatives in the Police all say that they do not get called out nearly as much as many years ago. Hastings is on the up, though there is still some way to go.

BBC Radio Sussex Breakfast this morning had an interview with Hastings United director Peter Sherlock on all this. 1hr 45 in - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04dpv5t

Blimey - those pictures take me back to my mis-spent youth, especially this one....

View attachment 79191

I used to frequent the cafe/club upstairs near the entrance to the cricket ground (always full of swedish and french girls in the summer) and the record shop over the road - can't remember the name of either though.

https://m.facebook.com/HAPP1066/

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Was the club above the pub, The Town Crier as it would have been in the photo? It's called MODA now and has a club above it now.

The record shop would have been Our Price, surely?

Yes i think it was above a pub - it was always very dark up there...excellent snogging conditions! As for the record shop, no it wasnt Our Price - my memory pre-dates that! It was a privately run shop (we're talking mid-late 60s here!) and the guy who ran it used to let us stay in there for hours listening to records.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Was the club above the pub, The Town Crier as it would have been in the photo? It's called MODA now and has a club above it now.

Blimey - those pictures take me back to my mis-spent youth, especially this one....

View attachment 79191

I used to frequent the cafe/club upstairs near the entrance to the cricket ground (always full of swedish and french girls in the summer) and the record shop over the road - can't remember the name of either though.

Might this help :)

http://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/the-record-shop-hastings.html

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
My dad used to take to the old Hastings cricket groundd, hazy summer days :)

This book might interest you, if you haven't read it. The front cover and first chapter are The Central Recreation Ground.

britain-s-lost-cricket-grounds-hb--1580-p.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

This book might interest you, if you haven't read it. The front cover and first chapter are The Central Recreation Ground.

View attachment 79197

Thanks, Ill have a look on @Amazon :)

Got it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-l...sr=8-2&keywords=britains+lost+cricket+grounds

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

View attachment 79191

I think the name was the 'Disc Jockey' run by the Beaden family.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here