Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hastily arranged deal

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
My information is that Mr Naylor is and was correct. Zamora was on the radar but not high up the list of targets. If he had been, the deal could have been done a long time ago and BZ could have had a pre-season with us and sold a load more shirts and season tickets.

Instead, him signing four days before the first game of the season smacks of desperation on both sides. I presume and hope that the contract is heavily loaded towards appearances - and, obviously, that we end up paying out!
If your information is that Naylor is correct, then your information is incorrect.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My information is that Mr Naylor is and was correct. Zamora was on the radar but not high up the list of targets. If he had been, the deal could have been done a long time ago and BZ could have had a pre-season with us and sold a load more shirts and season tickets.

Instead, him signing four days before the first game of the season smacks of desperation on both sides. I presume and hope that the contract is heavily loaded towards appearances - and, obviously, that we end up paying out!

I'd like to think you're just offering a professional courtesy to Andy Naylor but what you've just written is utter cr*p. Signing players 4 days before the season starts shows "Desperation on both sides" dear oh dear, was Gestede signing for Villa yesterday also borne of desperation? Was Da Silva's move to Lyon a mad scramble? Does this make any new signings after today an even more desperate act? The date players are signed gives no indication of how long players are being tracked.

It's also clear that Zamora's £80k a week contract with QPR ran until the end of July and we signed him just days after. Maybe the two facts are connected. It's clear that there were talks between Bobby and the club well before then despite Naylor's protestations. They may well have been preliminary but they were there. But seriously - signing a proven 34 year old Premiership striker on a one year contract 'smacks of desperation'? Pfft.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hastily arranged deal

So Andy Naylor says about the Zamora signing.

What's that all about then, anyone know?
It's embarrassing. Why can't he just man up and admit he got this one wrong?

Basically, it's Naylor's way of saying "I was right all summer in saying nothing was happening, the club just changed their mind on Friday". Purely a way of retaining some credibility (which I can understand)
It does the opposite. He was completely wrong and he can't admit it. He's got no credibility at all.

I think it's entirely possible that we'd been targeting a younger man, but went for BZ when that feel through.
We don't talk to only one player at a time. What do you think Bobby and his agent have been doing for the last couple of months? It's not like we didn't know of him, or vice versa.

A combination of things make it totally inconceivable that the club hadn't talked to Bobby (or representatives) before Friday. For example:
He wanted to join us (evidenced by the fact that he has)
We desperately need strikers
People like Bozza were told by sources that they trust that it was happening

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Of course its bull sht and Naylor is full of sht too their is no way Zamora agent was only in talks since last Friday.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's embarrassing. Why can't he just man up and admit he got this one wrong?

It does the opposite. He was completely wrong and he can't admit it. He's got no credibility at all.

We don't talk to only one player at a time. What do you think Bobby and his agent have been doing for the last couple of months? It's not like we didn't know of him, or vice versa.

A combination of things make it totally inconceivable that the club hadn't talked to Bobby (or representatives) before Friday. For example:
He wanted to join us (evidenced by the fact that he has)
We desperately need strikers
People like Bozza were told by sources that they trust that it was happening

People that I know personally said it was happening in June, that Bobby had been seen at the training ground in June, and he spoke to [MENTION=19755]seagullinho[/MENTION] at the airport when returning from America.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I took Naylors comment to mean that as the club looked like missing out on any more significant signings, the club got Bobby in as a last resort to deflect criticism and shut up the whingers.

I agree with this. My take is that BZ wanted to come back and was waiting for the club to come and get him. Meanwhile the club has been trying for other targets and as the summer has progressed it seems they have not been successful. With the start of the season a week away and the fans forum just before that and the feeling from most fans that the club has failed to get players in. I think the club has pulled a master stroke in one night they have silenced the critics for at least a week and maybe longer if we get a good result on Friday. I glad BZ is back, but the question most be is that because the club wanted him and he was a top target for the summer or a last minute lets get him as we have missed out on other targets

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
People that I know personally said it was happening in June, that Bobby had been seen at the training ground in June, and he spoke to @seagullinho at the airport when returning from America.
Well exactly. There are some people that claim to be ITK, and I'm always ready and waiting to slag them off when they either make a mistake (which I guess happened with some claiming it was signed for 1st July), or just talk shit (which happens a lot). But of course some people do hear some things (staff members do see players at the training ground etc), and too many people here (inc Bozza who wants to look after his reputation) heard too much for it to all have been made up.

Even if he hadn't joined, I'd still be very confident that the Bobby/his agent had been in talks with the club.

And local hero [MENTION=19755]seagullinho[/MENTION] doesn't make stuff up either.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hughton said, re Bobby: 'it's something that's been on our minds for quite some time'.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Basically, it's Naylor's way of saying "I was right all summer in saying nothing was happening, the club just changed their mind on Friday". Purely a way of retaining some credibility (which I can understand)

In my mind, he hasn't lost any.

His job is to report the news. If his source (the club) is telling him that there is no contact, or they aren't going to sign him, what is he MEANT to write? I'd rather read info from the horses' mouth, rather than some of the tripe that is written in papers about player X 'close to signing' for team Y.

I find some of the reactions to AN's articles (including the personal abuse he gets on Twitter) embarrassing. Lots of people looking at his copy through blue and white tinted glasses when, a) his job is to be objective, not to come over as a 'fan' or mouthpiece for the club b) he isn't about to make a load of stuff up and risk his relationship with the people he relies on for stories and content and c) they are quite happy to like what he writes when they agree with him, but then berate him when he gets something 'wrong'.

But hey, he's an easy target for many...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
To be honest I am surprised by the signing, given that all the other signings are heavily weighted, for the most part to Youth and Youth Development.

Whatever the reason for the delay in signing on non delay, whatever the case may have been, it does not matter. It also matters not one jot, whether he was 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice or 4th choice. Zamora is now a Brighton player again and we should just all get behind him and support him which I know everyone will and here's hoping he scores 15 - 20 goals this coming season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
His job is to report the news. If his source (the club) is telling him that there is no contact, or they aren't going to sign him, what is he MEANT to write?
He's meant to write 'the club deny that there has been contact with Bobby Zamora' and then hopefully follow that with some of the investigatory work he's done to unearth the truth. He didn't say 'the club deny', he stated categorically that it wasn't going to happen, and he got it wrong.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

If you are seriously trying to back up Naylor's ridiculous pretence that this has all just come about since Friday, its a little odd that you predicted on the Albion Roar FB page over a week ago, that BZ would sign :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I thought most contracts expired on June 30th, rather than July 31st.

They do, but there seems to be some new suggestion (from Virgo on the radio, talking about CMS to Luton?) that if a player is without a club, then the club that released him has to pay him through July as well. :shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They do, but there seems to be some new suggestion (from Virgo on the radio, talking about CMS to Luton?) that if a player is without a club, then the club that released him has to pay him through July as well. :shrug:

Indeed, it was a new one to me, but has been corroborated elsewhere.

All of which means we've probably been paying Kemy until a few days ago too.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I thought most contracts expired on June 30th, rather than July 31st.

I heard it mentioned the other day that if an out of contract player has not found another club, the club that he has just "left" has to pay them an extra months salary. Adam Virgo mentioned on the Roar the other day in relation to CMS that clubs had to pay until the end of August, but end of July makes more sense - this was the reason he gave that CMS had not signed for anyone else yet (and presumably BZ).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here