Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has there been a better more astute manager than chris hughton for us?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I find his over-exuberant goal celebrations a tad annoying. He should keep his hands in his pockets.

Other than that, difficult to fault. To get the squad to where we are at the moment after the disappointments of the end of last season is a triumph, and to get it to where we can keep on keeping on as we did for the final quarter of today's game is fantastic.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I love that he doesn't enter into all of the Dyche-esque moaning about referees, opponents and the like. He always shows deference towards the opposition and is circumspect regarding officials. I would imagine he is very well liked by just about everybody in the game because his stock in trade is respect.

Massive man crush.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Hughton has fantastic man management skills to go alongside his footballing nous. He keeps his ego in check and remains level headed regardless of results.

Bloom as Chairman, Hughton as manager and an excellent set up behind the scenes. What's not to like!
This. Thus and DIS

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I was thinking yesterday that it seemed to be between him and Sherwood when he got the job. How glad are we that Bloom got it right? I wonder where we'd be now if Sherwood had got the job (although I doubt he would still be here).

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Totally agree...they can all fu.ck off!

Hope you're right. It's the first time i've been thinking of the manager as one of our star signings that we just can't afford to lose to Premiership poachers. CH is the most focused and resolute manager that I can remember at the Albion. Nice to see him let his hair down and go mental yesterday though. :O

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
CH is highly respected by his peers, his players (current and former) and the fans (seemingly from all the teams he either played for or managed). That's quite an achievement in the world of football (and sport in general). Big love for the big man.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No idea why you have placed that clown Melia in that list given he got us relegated when the quality of the team should have ensured a mud table finish.

The old thing with CH is at times the substitutions are predictable and a little defensive. On my predictive text if I type Sidwell for the phone immediately pops up with Baldock.
Otherwise I have never know us to be so difficult to beat over such a prolonged period.
Top man.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hope you're right. It's the first time i've been thinking of the manager as one of our star signings that we just can't afford to lose to Premiership poachers. CH is the most focused and resolute manager that I can remember at the Albion. Nice to see him let his hair down and go mental yesterday though. :O

I don't see Hughton going anywhere this season. If we don't go up this time, I wouldn't rule out him leaving the club (which would be gutting) as it will need a rebuilding job with a number of players leaving but he won't be going anywhere this season. It is vital we go up this season for so many reasons.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
He's excellent, I have huge amounts of respect for him and he's doing a great job. Poyet is still the best manager we've had in my eyes, but CH is right up there in the way he is managing this team

I really rated Poyet when he was here but the way he behaved at the end has slightly affected the memory of him for me. Hughton is so respectful to other managers and referees. He is just a class above Poyet in that sense.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I really rated Poyet when he was here but the way he behaved at the end has slightly affected the memory of him for me. Hughton is so respectful to other managers and referees. He is just a class above Poyet in that sense.

I know I was very upset after we lost that play-off semi, so I can forgive Poyet being the same. Shame he had a falling out with Bloom and Barber, but there were issues with our recruitment set-up which took until the Sami debacle to be fixed. But on the pitch, wow, I'd love to see what he could do with these players right now.

But thats irrelevant, what Hughton is doing with them is pretty darn fantastic

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I know I was very upset after we lost that play-off semi, so I can forgive Poyet being the same. Shame he had a falling out with Bloom and Barber, but there were issues with our recruitment set-up which took until the Sami debacle to be fixed. But on the pitch, wow, I'd love to see what he could do with these players right now.

But thats irrelevant, what Hughton is doing with them is pretty darn fantastic

This is a Hughton team though. It works in 4-4-2. Poyet never played 4-4-2. Also, the player who is top scorer was effectively let go by Poyet because he didn't rate him so I'm not sure he'd have done much with these players as they wouldn't suit his system as much. He certainly wouldn't be doing any better than Hughton is.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

We couldn't have a manager more removed from touting himself than the last one who thought his success deserved a top four Premier League job :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here