Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has shooting from distance become a deliberate tactic of ours?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It feels as though, over recent games, we've taken more pot shots from around the edge of the box than has previously been the case.

It was most obvious against Palace and on a greasy pitch, where the ball was skidding across the surface, there seemed some merit in that approach.

However, I'm wondering if in an attempt to see a broader distribution of goals amongst the team, players have been instructed to not be so shot-shy and to have a dig when they fancy it.

Alternatively, I'm just imagining it, and nothing has changed.

Well, whether it's in your imagination or not, I don't think it's a bad policy anyway. Too often in the past, (going back to Chris Hughton's reign in fact), it seems as if we have been trying to pass the ball into the net from close range, and in all too many cases the player is tackled, or fails to get his shot away until it's too late.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
While we are talking tactics, why can't we change the kick off routine, every single one I can remember is pass back to Dunk (or Duffy yesterday) and kick it long towards the touchline and invariable lose the ball or it goes out for a throw

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Tell that to Hugo Lloris.

Case in point. Gross had all the time in the world to cross the ball and sent in the worlds worst delivery. The only reason we scored was because the goalkeeper made a comple hash of things and managed to break his arm.

Any other keeper would have caught it or tipped it over the bar.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Case in point. Gross had all the time in the world to cross the ball and sent in the worlds worst delivery. The only reason we scored was because the goalkeeper made a comple hash of things and managed to break his arm.

World's worst delivery?! What, a cross that was on target and moving in the air? Have you ever seen Craig Noone play?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Amazed nobody has chipped Maty Ryan from halfway,seems to be playing in midfield sometimes.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Any other keeper? ninety nine times out of a hundred Lloris would have coped with it easily too. Fortunately for us, that was the one occasion that he didn't manage to.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Shooting is good. We've been gagging for it for a while now. Still are, in fact. It's why we in the North automatically shout shoooooot! as soon as we get within about thirty yards of the goal with a modicum of space. Personally would far rather see Stephens, say, blast one far over the bar or far round the post, than not attempt the shot at all. Nobody's expecting them all to go in, but would always applaud the intent.

Agreed, and in the North, the opportunity to see the ball getting larger as opposed to always being really small is an added bonus :wink:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Shooting is good. We've been gagging for it for a while now. Still are, in fact. It's why we in the North automatically shout shoooooot! as soon as we get within about thirty yards of the goal with a modicum of space. Personally would far rather see Stephens, say, blast one far over the bar or far round the post, than not attempt the shot at all. Nobody's expecting them all to go in, but would always applaud the intent.

LOL - when we're attacking the South you all shout SHOOOOOOT when we're 45 yards from goal :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The midfield and Dunk have obviously been told to make opposition keepers work. But the 25 yard screamers into row Z from Stephens, Dunk and Propper are always a limp waste of possession. If it’s not in a player’s locker, it probably never will be, regardless of shots flying during Lancing training in the week.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Amazed nobody has chipped Maty Ryan from halfway,seems to be playing in midfield sometimes.

When we had corners against Wolves and SheffU, Ryan was literally at the centre circle as a sweeper, doing stretching.

Ankergren used to do something similar at Withdean, it gave us kittens when teams countered. I remember a Leeds player lobbing our goalie in those circumstances to score, it may’ve been Graeme Smith.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
When we had corners against Wolves and SheffU, Ryan was literally at the centre circle as a sweeper, doing stretching.

Ankergren used to do something similar at Withdean, it gave us kittens when teams countered. I remember a Leeds player lobbing our goalie in those circumstances to score, it may’ve been Graeme Smith.

Well to be fair, l feel a hell of a lot safer with Maty being out there than l did when it was Graeme Smith!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
On every “Worst Albion XI” thread, Smith is instantly my keeper.

I’ve seen a fair few going back to Peter Grummitt, who was the best imho.

Was it merely coincidence that he was in the same Albion side as possibly our worst ever centre-half? Colin Hawkins?

A spoincidence too that they both came from north of the border?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Was it merely coincidence that he was in the same Albion side as possibly our worst ever centre-half? Colin Hawkins?

A spoincidence too that they both came from north of the border?

We were very low budget then, but still losing £1m a year.

The Albion team that lost 1-5 to Stoke in April 2006, contained:
Nicolas
Noel-Williams
Carole
Frutos
Loft

I didn’t go. Were they all quality players?

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
It feels as though, over recent games, we've taken more pot shots from around the edge of the box than has previously been the case.

It was most obvious against Palace and on a greasy pitch, where the ball was skidding across the surface, there seemed some merit in that approach.

However, I'm wondering if in an attempt to see a broader distribution of goals amongst the team, players have been instructed to not be so shot-shy and to have a dig when they fancy it.

Alternatively, I'm just imagining it, and nothing has changed.

Spare a thought for the ppl behind the goal that end up having to catch them.

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
I would sooner we retained possession until in a realistic position to take a shot at least on target rather than a wild shot from 40 yds out that goes ridiculously wide.

Should depend on conditions. In rainy slippery conditions, we may take shots from far out and hope for a goalie mistake, or a rebound... In dry non-windy conditions, maybe 25 yard max...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We were very low budget then, but still losing £1m a year.

The Albion team that lost 1-5 to Stoke in April 2006, contained:
Nicolas
Noel-Williams
Carole
Frutos
Loft

I didn’t go. Were they all quality players?

Yes, the last game of the season, l remember it well, we totally capitulated after about 20 minutes. To be fair I don't think most of those players that you mentioned were that bad, bearing in mind we were playing in a lower dicision then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here