Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Oscar stamped his name on the side?

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
With Oscar and Jones (you have to include the latter as he is clearly far more influencial than any number 2 has ever been), I am not really sure what they are doing. At times they do the pass pass pass bit. But others they are lobbing it up and expecting Ulloa to hold on to against three or four defenders with no support.

What is the evidence for this? The fact that he talks more to the media than previous assistants? The assistant surely just does the Head Coach's bidding, in the same way that on a film-set the 1st AD does what the Director tells him to do.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What is the evidence for this? The fact that he talks more to the media than previous assistants? The assistant surely just does the Head Coach's bidding, in the same way that on a film-set the 1st AD does what the Director tells him to do.

Obika and Lita were both Jones signings. Do
You think Oscar has done a lot of scouting at Yeovil?!

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Obika and Lita were both Jones signings. Do
You think Oscar has done a lot of scouting at Yeovil?!

It seems to me to go something like this:

1. Burke puts together a load of possible transfer targets.

2. Oscar looks over list and doesn't have a clue who any of the players are.

3. Oscar speaks to Jones and goes with his recommendation.

For me, Burke and Jones should go and Oscar should step up to take full control and bring in or promote his own assistant as well as setting up his own scouting network of people he trusts. The whole director of football set up is a load of shit in my opinion

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I expect a manager of some calibre to get the best out of what's available and provide a reasonable level of entertainment.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
The fact he came in at late in the close season really didn't help. I think he should have the close season to bring some of HIS players in to develop team identity.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm a long way from being in the Oscar out camp, but I was thinking about the difference between him and Gus today and the big thing for me is that he just hasn't stamped his authority or style of play on the team.

Other than knowing that he likes to play one up front with two support wingers/forwards/full backs how has he made his mark on the team.

Gus came in and changed the whole philosophy, we all knew what it was, it was clear, pass pass pass pass and occasionally shoot. He acquired his own players, his style and it was very clear. Critics may argue he was lacking a plan B but his Plan A was very clear.

With Oscar and Jones (you have to include the latter as he is clearly far more influencial than any number 2 has ever been), I am not really sure what they are doing. At times they do the pass pass pass bit. But others they are lobbing it up and expecting Ulloa to hold on to against three or four defenders with no support.

With Gus he acquired players who he wanted to play in his style. Who has Oscar acquired to cement hi style of play? Andrews? Ward? Stephens? Obika? Lita? I'm struggling to see what this means. What is he adding. We all believed that we would be going the Barcleona way, but we about ten times further away from that than we did last season.

Yes injuries have played a part but you look through the team, and indiivdually we are weaker, with new signings much weaker than their counterparts from last season. And players that did well under Gus now a shadow of the player they were last season. Only Bruno and Upson are back to the best that they were last season. All others look weaker than last season.

I'm not for changing managers at a whim and would give him this summer to reinvent his style, but it does feel like this season has been largely wasted, as we have gone backwards on the pitch. He needs to stamp his mark on the team and make it an Oscar team. At the moment it very much looks like a Jones team to me, standard English Championship dullness. No flair, no pace, nothing.

Bruno is having a mare now with careless flicks and passes. Upson is getting slower by the match. But I too fear Jones' influence. I don't want him around and believe he drove out El-Abd and Barnes. Passionate players with minds of their own. Will Calde be next? No, Idon't think it'Oscar's team, so I am looking forward to the summer clearout.

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
Is it not easier for one of our fans to enlighten us as I dont personally know many Charlton fans and I would think that goes for most who post on here.

They think he is very much an on off player that has one really good game. e.g for us, Bolton and a lot more off games i.e every other game.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought Oscars comment about a mid-table budget and us punching above our weight said it all, he is mildly miffed I think. Not sure how TB will take this little dig

He mentioned the budget again today in his pre match interview.
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...-hove-albion-time-to-change-form-1458049.aspx

“We have maybe 15 teams below us with the same budget or more so they have more to worry about than us but we have to improve our run and it is important for us to change this."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here