Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has New Labour cronyism saved the Albion?

My belief is that local factors like the Falmer planning dispute play very little role in the thinking of New Labour's electoral strategy. They have much bigger fish to fry without worrying about how the stadium may marginally affect their prospects in a tiny handful of seats.

We are at the centre of this huge dispute and I think some of us lose some perspective of the importance football plays to other sectors of society. Would stadium campaigners really make any impact as independents in a General Election campaign?

I don't feel any threat of anti-Labour protests would have much of an impact on anyone, Caplin is in trouble anyway and Lepper's seat is too safe. Turner's is a genuine marginal and could arguably be affected by local factors, but he's a perpetual parliamentary rebel and New Labour would do nothing to help him. I genuinely believe they would like to be rid of him so some Blairite clone could be imposed on Kemptown next time round, they have sacrificed seats to get rid of troublemakers before.

But if you discount the theory that Prescott is running scared of Labour's electoral prospects, how do you explain his extraordinary decision to junk the reports of two planning inspectors and load the rest of the inquiry process decisively in our favour?

Was his decision "political"? I can't see how you can come to any other conclusion. I'm not a planning expert, so I'd be grateful for the input of Lord Bracknell or others' views on this, but how do some of the decisions that Prescott reached conform with existing PPG and other legal guidance?

Since when has cost of development played any part in deciding a planning application? The onus is always on the developer to fund his own development costs. Yet, Prescott appears to be saying that if other sites in Brighton are feasible for stadium development but would cost too much to do so, then we can have Falmer.

Isn't this a "political" rather than a strictly planning decision by Prescott? No housing developer or retail developer would be allowed planning permission on a site because others in the locality happened to be too costly to develop - they would have to pay through the nose.

What Prescott has done is to make a "political" decision that a football club has such overwhelming importance to a community that normal planning standards will be lowered to accommodate it. This is right and just, but surely has little precedent in recent planning law.

There are other examples where Prescott has applied political judgments to counter Hoile/Collyer. Forming a judgment whether a political club is of national importance can only be a political decision, what planning precedent is there? Hoile/Collyer thinks football is not important (a "political" or "cultural" judgment), Prescott has gone the other way and is satisfied we have made our case on this, because this part of the inquiry remains closed.

So what is motivating Prescott to bust his ample gut to help us? The 64,000 dollar question.

To me, there are two possible theories - an "optimistic" one where his decision was solely influenced by the wonderful lobbying campaign conducted by thousands of fans, the flowers, the letters, the endless pressure on MPs of all parties. Then, there is the "cynical" theory. Sure, he would have been influenced to some extent by the impressive lobbying, but what influences a New Labour machine politician like Prescott is inside lobbying, having some of your close political allies screaming up and down begging for your help.

In Ivor Caplin and Steve Bassam, we have two supporters of the Albion who are on the inside of New Labour and have the power and influence to doorstep or pick up the phone and speak to anyone about this matter.

I'm leaning towards the view that it was our political connections that has brought victory almost within our grasp.

I've been a member of the local Labour Party for more years than I care to remember and I've opposed the influence of the likes of Caplin and Bassam to "Blairise" Brighton and Hove Labour Party in more meetings that I care to remember. But I have this hunch that they may be the true "heroes" of the campaign to get us Falmer. Much as I hate New Labour cronyism and back-door influence in virtually every corner of British political life, I feel it may have saved my football club from extinction.

Of course I'm guessing. But when 2 million people march in the streets to stop a pathetic and pointless war, and have absolutely no influence, I remain a profound sceptic of how "people power" can concentrate the minds of New Labour - and you can extend this example to many other issues throughout the life of this 7-year government from disabled people's benefits to PFI, you name it, large protests seem to have only made it dig in more stubbornly. Yet "people power" in Brighton has now persuaded Prescott? Excuse my cynicism. We are winning because we have New Labour political fixers on our side.

I have absolutely no doubt that if Michael Howard's lot has been in charge of the ODPM, we would now be heading for the Conference while marooned at Withdean. No Tory, and probably no Liberal Democrat, would override planning law to help out urban-dwelling footy fans beat a bunch of Tory-voting village-dwelling Nimbys. Never has happened, and it never will.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
um, maybe Blair will lean on Lord Sainsbury and hand us the station site..

.. and provide us with the first genetically modified pitch in the league :lolol:

Two sound theories which I suspect both had an influence on Prescotts decision. Although I know little about planning matters, the stipulation in the "new" search for an alternative site that it had to be financially viable for the Albion to develop within their means made me sit up! In some ways we owe Charles Hoile a favour! What if his report on the local plan hadn't been released in February, but had come out yesterday with Collyers? The concerted campagn against Prescott post February would never have taken place. We'd have been sitting here in blissful ignorance thinking a "yes" decision would be a mere formality. The bombardment heaped upon Prescotts department MUST have influenced his thinking. Would he have just rubber stamped the inspectors report instead of bending over backwards to aid us without all the pressure? Quite possibly? Was there an element of "local political influence" in the decision? Probably. Can the nimbys prove it?.....let them do their worst!

Last edited:

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
LI, you are of course guessing, but I'm pretty convinced you're spot on. If you're right, then Bassam's comments on the Official Site make very interesting (and very positive) reading. He sounds like a man "in the know" - let's hope he is.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Interesting theory L I.
It is extraordinairy how JP has gone against the recommendations of both planning inspectors, but it IS within Governement policy to give consent to building on an AONB if it can be proved that there genuinely is no viable alternative, and that the social and economic benefits outweigh the perceived negative impact on the area.

JP was armed with enough reasons to give a "NO" to Falmer months ago, and he still could have given that NO yesterday in light of the inspectors findings and Collyers frankly terrifying opinions in his summing up ("of no national significance if Brighton & Hove Albion ceased to exist !!"). But something has prevented him from doing that. Internal lobbying from councellors ? External lobbying from us ? A combination of the two ? Quite possibly.

Maybe he's had a gut feeling all along about this as well. He is a no-nonsense kind of bloke. Maybe he has seen the Falmer site for himself (an aerial photo would do), snorted at its status as an AONB, considered the arguments and spin by the NIMBYS, put it all down to a load of hot air by a small minority of people and thought "bollocks, that site looks as good a site as any. Show me a better one, or they can have it there".

We'll probably never really know. And we're far from being home and dry yet. But I think if the Deputy Prime Minisiter was a pencil-pushing shrinking violet who wouldn't say "boo" to a goose, we'd already have had our answer, cos the easy thing would have been to simply go along with the inspectors opinions and turn it down flat.

Thankfully, Prescott is a cantankerous old sod, and I think that is standing us in good stead right now. Keep it up John...just keep it up a little longer....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
According to today's Argus, he was very pleased with all the Valentine cards he got. :lolol:

I think that LI is right with the main thrust of his argument, although I think that the possible loss of three seats shouldn't be so easily dismissed as a factor. All politicians want to save seats and while it may not be the crucial factor, it probably has an effect.

The other possibility is this Labour government is obsessed with sport. Ministers and MPs are falling over themselves to be seen to be supporting successful teams and sportspeople (not so much as to put a stop to playing field sales of course). There's also the little matter of the Olympics. It wouldn't reflect well on a sport-obsessed government that a modern, forward-thinking city, with a top football team (and Div 1/championship is top football) could be left without a home.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I think the article by Swampy Bassam in todays Argus is good, and very supportive.

He also says Prescotts move was 'canny' impliing inside knowledge and this is a carefully thought out strategy.

I hope hes right, otherwise Labour, new or old, will be a busted flush in this area.

There are a lot of tensions in the world of planning at the moment, most particularly between those politicians who genuinely want to bring about change and professional planners who are much more comfortable with the smooth operation of established administrative processes. The politicians characterise themselves as "modernisers" and "radicals". The professionals are, for the most part, instinctively conservative.

These tensions, incidentally, pre-date the Blair government. John Selwyn Gummer, Tory Environment Secretary, had a startlingly radical, almost green, agenda for change.

The modernising politicians are, however, frequently frustrated by the reluctance of key professionals to embrace their vision. The professionals tend to see politicians as "here today, gone tomorrow" characters who can be allowed to get away with an occasional triumph, provided the basic eternal constants remain. These constants are, of course, owned by the professionals.

I detect some signs of these tensions in the way that this planning application has played. The two planning Inspectors, Hoile and Collyer, are old guard professionals, with a lifetime in what they see as "their business". They know their law; they know about precedents; they have listened, year in, year out, to advocates telling them what should be done to ensure continuity and consistency in planning processes.

Radical ideas get stopped by professionals like this.

But at the highest level of government, Prescott wants change. He wants to challenge the eternal constants that stand in the way of change.

In my own area of experience, transport, Prescott is demanding enormous changes in the way society organises its mobility. He is seeking an end to car dependence and its replacement by a commitment throughout society to more a sustainable alternative - effective public transport, walking, cycling, less travel ... genuinely challenging stuff.

He wants the planning process to contribute to the delivery of this radical agenda. But he is continually frustrated that it doesn't. Because the process is in the hands of people like Hoile and Collyer, who simply do not believe that a radical outcome is what is really wanted.

The Falmer application is clearly seen by Prescott as an opportunity to put down a marker. The campaigning of tens of thousands of people has raised the profile of the issue. Why not use this to kick the professionals in the teeth? Why not reject their reports? Why not impose a "radical" solution?

So that's what he's doing. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a very carefully selected "modernising" Inspector presiding over the resumed Public Inquiry - one who will deliver an outcome that shakes the complacency of quite a few "professionals". That outcome will be a landmark decision that will deliver a landmark stadium at Falmer.

And it will set the scene for the implementation of the reform of the planning system that was flagged up in the Green Paper, "Planning: Delivering a Fundamental Change" that was published in December 2001.

In other words, the future of Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club - and this planning application - is genuinely a matter of national interest.

Gwylan said:
It wouldn't reflect well on a sport-obsessed government that a modern, forward-thinking city, with a top football team (and Div 1/championship is top football) could be left without a home.

I agree that New Labour is a bit faddish about sport, but generally only that sport which plays well in its publicity-driven PR machine. Sadly, Brighton doesn't cut it in that regard - witness the near non-existant coverage of Prescott's (what could potentially be pathbreaking) decision today in the nationals.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
London Irish said:
I agree that New Labour is a bit faddish about sport, but generally only that sport which plays well in its publicity-driven PR machine. Sadly, Brighton doesn't cut it in that regard - witness the near non-existant coverage of Prescott's (what could potentially be pathbreaking) decision today in the nationals.

Yeah, pathetic that.

But that could also be a reflection on the Premiershite-obsessed media too. Perhaps, we should be looking for environment correspondents to cover the story.

Facinating comments, Lord B. If your analysis is right, then I assume what Prescott has done will create a bit of a stir in whatever passes for the planners' media/journals - I hope you will look out for some comment/analysis on that on our behalf.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I respect your optimism Lord B and hope that ultimately your optimism will be borne out.

One point though - by definition this is party political - if it hadnt been for Caplin, Bassam and a well connected new labour local authority this would have all been dead in the water a long time ago.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Interesting stuff. Thinking about it the Albion are quite well connected, isn't a former director currently Lord Chancellor....., or am I thinking of a different Lord Falconer.

???

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
I agree with earlier posts that Government policy is looking to change the current planning process and make it easier for schemes like Falmer to get through and not be held up by NIMBY councils or villagers.

Bear in mind Prescott wants West Sussex CC to build new houses in ANOB downsland, so he could not really go against building a stadium in (supposed) ANOB land.

Luton Seagull

Jul 27, 2004
by the sea
Following Lord B's comments about Prescott needing, effectively, to take on his planning inspectors, we should also see this in a wider context. Prescott has got major problems in establishing sites for housing development right across the South East over the next ten years- Nimbyism stands to be a real pain in his arse!
So this situation could be seen as an opportunity to rough up the planning bureaucrats a bit so that next time a Labour Council wants to stick some affordable housing next to some posh commuter village, the Planning Inspectorate are less likely to come up with the usual knee jerk "no!" It's as much about Prescott bossing 'say "Yes, Minister" ' as about the actual rights and wrongs of the situation.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Great thread. Ever since Tuesday I've been of a mind to call the new ground the 'Prescott Stadium' as without him we'd be dead in the water right now. And like L.I. I will not be voting for any Seagulls Party as I already have a pro-Falmer MP and Councillors.

I think the lobbying DID make a difference, whether it was from us, other fans or his mates in the Parlimentary Labour party. I think Lord B is right (as usual), I'd been thinking on the same lines myself every time I heard/read about Prescott overturning his Inspector's recommendations. The thing that was worrying me was that he might have chosen us as a scrap he could have thrown to his reactionary hounds: "Look, I've agreed with you and turned down that nasty football ground, now give me a bit of peace on other issues".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here