Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Naylor declared war on NSC?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
"Take a chill pill guys. You could still be at Withdean, jeering the passing style of play which delivered Championship football, as I seem to recall happening against Bournemouth last season."

I take offense to that TBH - A small minority of about 20 fans out of 7k now means all / most of us? Cheap shot IMO.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As far as I'm concerned there's two things he's done wrong;

1) Written an article about an internet forum. Not using information gleaned from a forum (which is bad enough) but actually written it about the users. That's incredibly pathetic. He's realistically talking about (and dismissing summarily) about 200 regular posters. I realise it might be a slow news day but it's pretty low and brings a whole new meaning to the word desperate.

2) It's incredibly one-sided. He doesn't acknowledge that the fans had any valid concerns, or that there are things that they need to improve at the stadium. He's also (seemingly) done it without consulting the club, who have said that the feedback has been very useful.

I've defended Naylor in the past, and I do think that on occasions it helps having an Argus sports reporter that doesn't support the Albion. But today he was well out of line, IMHO.

I agree. I think that Naylor has taken some unwarranted flak in the past but I think that this article was a desperate attempt to fill space in the silly season.

Although there are certainly some nonsensical posts on NSC, I think the standard of debate is far higher than that of other clubs' site, so I don't understand why he thinks we're worse than most - unless, as Lush pointed out, it's pure trollbait

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
AndyNaylorArgus Andy Naylor
Article was, in fact, inspired by comments on The Argus website! #bhafc

&

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I'm not here to defend Naylor, but I do think that we are being a little precious about this. I don't read it that he consider all NSC posters are moronic...come on some of the whinging did get a bit ott for a few days after the game. I'm sure the club are more than capable of sorting the wheat from the chaff.
The way he's written the article implies that there are two kinds of fans. The Minority, who are stellar whiners and post on the internet, and the Majority, who don't. He doesn't really make the distinction that there are level headed people also posting on the internet, and perhaps, by the law of averages, stellar whiners who don't.

Personally I think he's just filling column inches and he's phrased the whole article spectacularly badly to the extent where it looks like he's calling us all morons, whereas this is probably not what he meant. He should have written it more better than what he did.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
That's not written by Andy Naylor. If it was it would have said;

Article was inspired by comments on The Argus website. FACT!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
"Take a chill pill guys. You could still be at Withdean, jeering the passing style of play which delivered Championship football, as I seem to recall happening against Bournemouth last season."

I take offense to that TBH - A small minority of about 20 fans out of 7k now means all / most of us? Cheap shot IMO.

This is what got my goat also.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Although he's used the word 'minority' near the beginning, and near the end he does say 'the majority of Albion supporters are level headed'...

However the article implies that this 'minority' applies to all the NSC posters, and therefore 'the majority' are the ones who do not have time for this new-fangled interweb thing.

Which shows how badly researched his angle is. Every club has a small minority of idiots, as does every internet forum, football related or not. I'm sure even Naylor might have to concede this point, which makes his story a complete non-story, and a waste of newspaper print. Maybe they were struggling to fill column inches today, and Naylor came to the rescue....

I'm not sure it does imply what you say. He was talking about internet moaners in general including comments on the argus website. Personally while disagreeing with some of what Naylor said (a larger moronic element than other clubs shows his ignorance) and the fact he felt the need to do it at this time, I think temporarily closing NSC just makes the site look as attention seeking as Andy Naylor. Did find it funny though and surprised how many didn't realise it was a wind-up!

Seagull1967

Aug 8, 2009
Barnsley
It is how Albion fans on NSC are portrayed in this article which is the issue and non football people will see us as trouble makers. If we require support in the future from these individuals they might not take so kindly in giving us support in any new ventures the club may pursue in the future.

Andy Naylor's comments were not thought through and what people do on NSC is our business and we are not upsetting anyone else. We do have our own fare share of moaners but so what! some of these comments make for comical reading and helps to pass the day.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I wonder if Mr Naylor has ever thought to himself why, after all these years, is he still writting crap for a local rag and not gone onto bigger and better things?...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm commenting without seeing this morning's piece but I'll just add one more thing: I've had emails from 2 (two) Albion directors speaking very positively about the help that NSC/NSCers have given to the Albion in the snagging process and their ongoing work with Buckingham.
If you get anymore calls from directors could you ask them to get back to the scores of disabled persoparabolic are in limbo about disabled parking please?!! Now that really is a shambles!! Shambles shambles shambles SHAMBLES!!!!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Isn't he just asking the fans to work with the club, rather than against it?

Very similar to Bozza's message a few days ago, as it goes:

I think it's important that we as fans remain aware of the scale of change the club is currently going through and that we try to work with the club, not against them. A little bit of patience is likely to be required from time to time.

Whilst perhaps he could have worded it a little better, people are massively overreacting, I think.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I wonder if Mr Naylor has ever thought to himself why, after all these years, is he still writting crap for a local rag and not gone onto bigger and better things?...

I'd like his job! And I was at Hereford don't u know

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage

Can anyone direct me to the comments on the Argus website directly questioning the heritage stones?

I'm pretty sure that there has never been discussion on the Argus site about them, or debate regarding the other issues he raised (clock, service etc). With that tweet, he's entirely contradicting something that he has just laid down in print hours earlier.

I can actually imagine him giggling to himself thinking that NSC has just admitted guilt when he didn't implicitly name us in the article. The problem is, Andy, you were talking about us and it's obvious to anyone with a merest smidgeon of journalistic qualities. Unfortunately, that might count you out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here