Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Nathan Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew? - Sacked 12/02/2023

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He and they are f***ed I'm afraid. I've never really rated the guy to be honest. In the lower leagues a manager will find a team and it's just fits. Doesn't really mean anything.
To produce that after six weeks away is shocking. He obviously has none or very little data analysis and tactical support. You know you play a high press against us. You know you have to disrupt. Start at a high tempo. It was literally like he'd just guessed. And their team Is piss poor. And the crowd were seemingly desperate to start moaning.
Though JWP would be a fantastic replacement for Mac or Moises if either leave.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Southampton are down. I thought it was a strange appointment. It felt like they were preparing for life in the championship when they hired him.

Can't blame him for taking the opportunity, but he should have waited, something like a Norwich would have come up sooner or later. Poor judgement from NJ.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I hope he has.

Southampton have become one of those annoying teams - a bit like Burnley did - who just won’t go down.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am no fan of Nathan Jones. He is up his own arse and because of that he won't cut it in the PL.

Players who play there carry a lot of weight and influence and because of that. His type of personality won't last 2 minutes.

That said. We shouldn't be judging him on 2 games. He has to be allowed time to build his squad with a few transfer windows. However you don't get that in the PL.

The guy has an attitude problem which I personally don't like but I still conclude that it isn't fair to be judging him on the football pitch so soon.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
If they do go down they're goners I'm afraid. Not a chance they're coming back up quickly.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I am no fan of Nathan Jones. He is up his own arse and because of that he won't cut it in the PL.

Players who play there carry a lot of weight and influence and because of that. His type of personality won't last 2 minutes.

That said. We shouldn't be judging him on 2 games. He has to be allowed time to build his squad with a few transfer windows. However you don't get that in the PL.

The guy has an attitude problem which I personally don't like but I still conclude that it isn't fair to be judging him on the football pitch so soon.
Totally agree. Not the right personality for a relegation battle. He will lose the players and the fans. It's such a strange one and the opposite of our personality focussed approach.
No way is he getting them back up either.
He's just not a particularly likeable or inspirational chap. I can't imagine there's any respect there from the players. Fans clearly aren't sure.
Just the weirdest appointment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When you have six weeks to work with the entire squad and your game plan is to hoof it to your 175 cm striker, it does not look promising. Some doubtful team selection choices as well.
Very much this.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think if we were in trouble and hired a new manager ahead of a convenient six-week break to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the squad, I'd want to see some changes in the way we play and some shrewd recruitment in January.

Well they looked as crap as ever yesterday, and if his recruitment at Stoke (who had funds available at the time) was anything to go by, that'll be disappointing too. He suits a much smaller club with fewer resources than Southampton I'm afraid. They'll be down before Easter.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He and they are f***ed I'm afraid. I've never really rated the guy to be honest. In the lower leagues a manager will find a team and it's just fits. Doesn't really mean anything.
To produce that after six weeks away is shocking. He obviously has none or very little data analysis and tactical support. You know you play a high press against us. You know you have to disrupt. Start at a high tempo. It was literally like he'd just guessed. And their team Is piss poor. And the crowd were seemingly desperate to start moaning.
Though JWP would be a fantastic replacement for Mac or Moises if either leave.
Saints have got a big data/analytics team

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
When you have six weeks to work with the entire squad and your game plan is to hoof it to your 175 cm striker, it does not look promising. Some doubtful team selection choices as well.
I'd bet @Tom Hark Preston Park was drooling at that game plan though. Worked really well for them against our passing out from the back.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Jones has never been short of self confidence but I can’t help thinking, despite the PL experience, this wasn’t a smart move.

It‘s not often you’d regard a move from Championship to PL as a career breaker but such is the poor state of the Saints squad I can only see Jones damaging his stock value rather than improving it….

Nobby Nomates

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I was in with the home fans yesterday (with brother in law who's a STH). The ones around me were almost resigned to relegation and completely unimpressed with Jones. Very little reaction to the goals going in aside from a little mild annoyance.

Directly behind Solly when he scored. In from the moment it left his foot and looked like a laser beam. Should be great for his confidence and here's hoping it's the first of a good few this season!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes, and one wonders if this is his last ‘shot at the title’, Luton clearly won’t have him back for the third time, and failure at both Stoke and St Mary’s will probably be a damning indictment on his CV?
It wasn't so long ago that many on NSC were clamouring for Tony to interview him for the manager's job when Potter jumped ship. Glad that he didn't now?

Did a good job in getting Luton into the Championship, but is that just about his level?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It wasn't so long ago that many on NSC were clamouring for Tony to interview him for the manager's job when Potter jumped ship. Glad that he didn't now?

Did a good job in getting Luton into the Championship, but is that just about his level?
Some of the greatest managers of all time would struggle with the current state of affairs there.

They have been on a steady decline for a while, if Jones does manage to keep them up, that would be a massive tick on his CV, finishing anything other than rock bottom should be considered a success.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My view is that Jones’ personality is such that he can certainly motivate a set of players; this alone (with some luck) will get you some success in the lower leagues/small clubs and probably where Luton come in.

When you move to a bigger club there’s a lot more you need to consider like signings, budgets, tactics, formations, egos, improving players etc. I can’t say I have seen any evidence of this outside of Luton.

As has been said, if yesterday was the best he could come up with after 6 weeks on the training ground and against a club he knows it says a lot about his limitations.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I hope for Nathan's sake that we're wrong, but the club has sold experienced players and brought in a lot of youngsters, hoping to repeat the success of their academy in years gone by. Sadly for them, there's no Bridge, Bale, Lallana, Shaw, Walcott or Oxlade-Chamberlain among the present lot. Not even a Callum Chambers. If there's a club nailed-on for the drop this season, I'm afraid it looks like them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here