Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Has it made you feel proud ?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I was actually annoyed the other day when checking online our bin collection day, which is normally Friday so expecting it to be different this week - going in to next week.

It was emptied, as per usual, on Friday! Don’t binmen deserve public holidays like everyone else? Their kids may not have the enjoyments you’re talking about.

I just hope they were getting overtime rates, time off in lieu or similar, and that it wasn’t foisted on them with “no choice” and no consultation.

If the bin men are working on a bank holiday you can bet your bottom dollar they are being compensated for it. I don’t think bin men work if they don’t want to.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It really should be only the 50th anniversary if the succession had followed the proper route, and not been diverted to the usurper in 1936.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The Monarchy should be left where it belongs in the past. Personally I think when Queen goes that will be it regards popular support. Royalty serves no purpose anymore. Keep them but they should pay their way and pay their taxes in an open and transparent way which isnt the case right now.

This is so true.

And it’s why the platinum jubilee has made me feel pretty shit. I see the Union Jack, all it represents to me is the past, entitlement and pointless nostalgia that serves to keep people like Johnson and Duke of York in power and privilege.

This Country needs a good shake up. When the Queen sadly passes away, I hope we find good people who can do it.

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Why is it difficult to understand that some people aren't in favour of an anachronistic system that epitomises many of the country's entrenched problems?

On a day-to-day basis I give little ****s but the fawning over the figurehead does irk me a little. Irk is probably too strong a word, actually. It's just odd. Of course, it's nice that eveyone's having a good time but I find the whole thing perplexing. Before I get accused of being miserable, I'd like to make clear I'm having a lovely weekend too.

In my defence, I was directly responding to the about about some people not 'giving a ****' which I think was born of posts about the 'to cool for school' types. Like I've said previously, I'm not an instinctive royalist so I have some sympathy with the republican angle.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Whatever it is I’m against it

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Wrong question. More importantly is everyone enjoying the days off relaxing with family and friends ? It’s the kids that enjoy it the most. I loved the Silver Jubilee (10 years old) and also the Golden when I had young kids of my own. The cynics will do what they do but I’m enjoying it all again even though I’ve never been a royalist.

If I can send future questions over to you for proof reading first that would help me no end

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I was actually annoyed the other day when checking online our bin collection day, which is normally Friday so expecting it to be different this week - going in to next week.

It was emptied, as per usual, on Friday! Don’t binmen deserve public holidays like everyone else? Their kids may not have the enjoyments you’re talking about.

I just hope they were getting overtime rates, time off in lieu or similar, and that it wasn’t foisted on them with “no choice” and no consultation.

You're lucky that your bin has been emptied.
The bin-men in parts of Wealden district are on strike, and my bin hasn't been emptied for 5 weeks.
They have been offered a 17% pay rise this year and another 7% next year, the same deal accepted by bin-men in neighbouring districts, and by Unison members in Wealden, but it has been rejected by the GMB union. A union official has been quoted as saying " We won't negotiate until the rubbish is piling up in the streets".

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Yes, but (possibly) not in the way the OP meant.

I don’t think the Queen has the toughest job in the world, but I think anyone who’s reached the age she has is worthy of some respect. To my mind, her majesty does deserve respect for her work during the war years, and for managing to keep herself out of politics, even when the most odious characters imaginable are inhabiting 10 Downing Street.

The fact that there are still plenty of people (albeit mainly the elderly, the mentally infirm and American tourists) willing to line routes and wave tiny Union flags to see our Queen is actually quite heartwarming, in a strange way.

I similarly find the anti-Royalist curmudgeons equally British and deserving of respect, defining themselves in opposition to the event, and that’s a very British reaction too. My favourite overheard view so far has been that any nursing home in Britain probably houses 96yo’s that have worked harder and been more deserving of praise than her majesty, which seemed harsh to me, but who knows.

So yes, all of it together, the bunting and the pageantry, the cynicism and the loathing, the complete indifference (but thanks for the time off) makes me proud.

We populate a small and unnecessarily angry island who will admit to being near Europe, while denying actually being part of it, and it is absolutely true to our character that we still operate a monarchy. We are a country that enjoys a good anachronism. I will wave my imaginary Union flag (held the right way up - thanks Jack) and toast you all.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You definitely could do with some help, unless your question was about the celebrations in 2012. :)

That’s minor detail.

I’ve made a habit of getting pissed on every major anniversary …….. Don’t say I never cared

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

I don’t think the Queen has the toughest job in the world, but I think anyone who’s reached the age she has is worthy of some respect. To my mind, her majesty does deserve respect for her work during the war years, and for managing to keep herself out of politics, even when the most odious characters imaginable are inhabiting 10 Downing Street.

The fact that there are still plenty of people (albeit mainly the elderly, the mentally infirm and American tourists) willing to line routes and wave tiny Union flags to see our Queen is actually quite heartwarming, in a strange way.

I similarly find the anti-Royalist curmudgeons equally British and deserving of respect, defining themselves in opposition to the event, and that’s a very British reaction too. My favourite overheard view so far has been that any nursing home in Britain probably houses 96yo’s that have worked harder and been more deserving of praise than her majesty, which seemed harsh to me, but who knows.

So yes, all of it together, the bunting and the pageantry, the cynicism and the loathing, the complete indifference (but thanks for the time off) makes me proud.

We populate a small and unnecessarily angry island who will admit to being near Europe, while denying actually being part of it, and it is absolutely true to our character that we still operate a monarchy. We are a country that enjoys a good anachronism. I will wave my imaginary Union flag (held the right way up - thanks Jack) and toast you all.

I like this post, it makes a lot of sense.

The old lady on the throne has the easiest job in the world (as others have pointed out, any other job at that age would be difficult). I'd have more respect for the old bag if she'd worked in a warehouse for 50 years and actually put her back out.

She was luckily enough to be born into it, fair play. She doesn't annoy me as such, it's the people lining the streets, defending the realm at every criticism, for what reason? They've had everything in their entire life handed to them on a plate, and she still looks down on those who line the streets. The media putting stuff in the news that is not newsworthy.

Its had its day.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Good post

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I like this post, it makes a lot of sense.

The old lady on the throne has the easiest job in the world (as others have pointed out, any other job at that age would be difficult). I'd have more respect for the old bag if she'd worked in a warehouse for 50 years and actually put her back out.

She was luckily enough to be born into it, fair play. She doesn't annoy me as such, it's the people lining the streets, defending the realm at every criticism, for what reason? They've had everything in their entire life handed to them on a plate, and she still looks down on those who line the streets. The media putting stuff in the news that is not newsworthy.

Its had its day.

Draw the curtains, put your ear plugs in and have a lie down. The rest of us are watching Platinum Party at the Palace and listening to glowing tributes to Liz from anybody who's anybody. :thumbsup:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Yes. Having had the queen as my boss for the last 20 years I do feel proud. What a woman. Got my Queens Jubilee medal today too to top it all off. Long may her service continue.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Draw the curtains, put your ear plugs in and have a lie down. The rest of us are watching Platinum Party at the Palace and listening to glowing tributes to Liz from anybody who's anybody. :thumbsup:

Beautifully put. Have swelled with pride watching this tonight. God bless her.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here