Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Has it made you feel proud ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When I saw the Queen opening a wing at St Dunstan's in around 1961, my abiding memory is of standing around for a long time, then waving a flag while catching a glimpse of a lady getting out of a car. So, it that's pageantry then I guess I'm not very pageantist.

I prefer the Eurovision song contest, because during the bits where nothing much is happening, you can make a nice cup of tea. Unfortunately, with the jubilees, one finds oneself involved in protracted tea drinking, with infrequent interludes of pageantry.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Off to NT Hidcote Manor Gardens shortly, then staying the night in Chipping Campden. Taking the scenic direct route rather than the M5. I’ve seen so much of Britain, but I’ve never been to the Cotswolds north of the M4.

I love gardens, really looking forward to Hidcote.

Bath’s amazing. Fortunes have been spent making the area by Bath Spa station nice too.

Hidcote is great,,,despite the rain! Much of the redevelopment in Bath has been good...but the council don't always get it right . Cotswolds...Bourton-on-the-water nice if you get time. Enjoy.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No. I went to the beacon lighting in Haywards Heath on Thursday as more of a community thing but other than that have had no interest in it whatsoever. There are things that make me feel proud, but this ain't it.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I don't feel 'proud' but then it's an overused word, like people who say they're a 'proud Englishman, Welshman, Scot etc', mate you were born there, it's an accidental location, you had nothing to do with it. I digress though, I've enjoyed seeing people celebrating, the flypast was cool and the Queen is an incredible person. I'm not an instinctive royalist but the thought of the people who chose Boris Johnson electing a president who wouldn't be so beholden to parliament or their party is not appealing.

All that said, the sound of celebrating tens of millions won't be drowned out by the sound of teeth gnashing and keyboard bashing of those who are anti....

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I wonder if other countries have this thing where people are desperate to show how cool and edgy they are by doing everything they can to not be involved in big events that happen in their country. We saw it last year with the ‘I never watch England’ brigade when the best English team in a generation was marching towards the final. It was almost comical watching those people start to panic as England progressed and they didn’t know whether to admit they’d got it wrong and join the party, or whether to stick with their ridiculous stance to save face.

There must be some kind of psychological reason for it, I guess, but it’s quite sad for them really, they’re missing out. I think Brighton in particular really suffers from this demographic, that desperation to be different.

I’m hardly a Royalist, but it is pretty amazing what the Queen has managed, and what an astonishing life she has led. Why wouldn’t people ‘celebrate’ the long weekend by going to a BBQ or a village day and having a jubilee cupcake and some Pimms with friends? I don’t get it. It doesn’t mean you’re a Royalist that wants to immediately abolish parliament if you put a bit of bunting on your road and enjoy a drink in this sunshine with your neighbours, it’s just a nice thing to do.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I wonder if other countries have this thing where people are desperate to show how cool and edgy they are by doing everything they can to not be involved in big events that happen in their country. We saw it last year with the ‘I never watch England’ brigade when the best English team in a generation was marching towards the final. It was almost comical watching those people start to panic as England progressed and they didn’t know whether to admit they’d got it wrong and join the party, or whether to stick with their ridiculous stance to save face.

There must be some kind of psychological reason for it, I guess, but it’s quite sad for them really, they’re missing out. I think Brighton in particular really suffers from this demographic, that desperation to be different.

I’m hardly a Royalist, but it is pretty amazing what the Queen has managed, and what an astonishing life she has led. Why wouldn’t people ‘celebrate’ the long weekend by going to a BBQ or a village day and having a jubilee cupcake and some Pimms with friends? I don’t get it. It doesn’t mean you’re a Royalist that wants to immediately abolish parliament if you put a bit of bunting on your road and enjoy a drink in this sunshine with your neighbours, it’s just a nice thing to do.

The way she has dressed in different outfits and waved at people for 70 years is quite incredible. What a woman.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Maybe the most common reason is that people actually don't give a ****, rather than them trying to be cool and edgy.

I'd imagine those people exist in every country. They do here, at least. I've not watched any royal marriages or funerals and I won't be tied to the TV next year when the Swedish king celebrates 50 years at the throne... and nothing to do with being cool and edgy - I just simply can't imagine anything more boring than some old bloke waving from whatever vehicle he'll be sitting in.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Sorry, double post. Having some problems with NSC and t'internet in general at the moment. Apologies.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I'm glad to say I don't know anyone like that and didn't hear any of that, not even from a distance.

There again, I don't hang around with baristas, hipster dog walkers or vegan installation designers.

I will be off for a nice stroll later, before the international football, and my little frozen left wing thoughts may well drift for a ponder on Her Maj for a few moments, and the pondering will be favourable.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Regardless of what you may think about the monarchy, no other country pulls off pageantry and ceremony quite like Britain. Many try to imitate but none come close. Always makes me unashamedly proud.

Pretty much this. I'm fairly ambivalent about the monarchy, but absolutely love all the pageantry. Like you say, no other country comes close.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's been nice to see our national flag outside people's houses and it not be a bit naff or key indicator that I probably wouldn't get on with that person

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Top post! :thumbsup:

Too many binary-minded people around.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Top post! :thumbsup:

Too many binary-minded people around.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I reckon that only getting interested in the England football team once it becomes a national celebration (at the latter stages of a tournament) is pretty similar to only being interested in royal stuff at times like now. The important thing is to admit to being a fair weather supporter of both and have a good time. Happy Jubilee to all the Brighton miseries !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here