[News] Has it made you feel proud ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes very proud to be British.

Jesus wept NO.

As my late father used to say:-
"We'll never be an island all the time Wales Scotland and Yorkshire are attached".

He was generous.

Very proud to be South of Arundel.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I think It feels really hard to feel any pride at the moment because of what’s going on politically. People around me just seem to be so frustrated and angry about the political status quo that they simply don’t have any energy to celebrate the Queen, which is a shame. She’s a good egg.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Nope, generally try and restrict pride to stuff I've achieved myself. Don't begrudge people enjoying this kind of stuff but find it weird how many people seem to do so by saying, 'We do this kind of thing better than anyone else!" Comes across very arrogant and, objectively, the only difference with other countries' pageantry is style of funny hats/costumes, colours of flags and weird walks.

..... although despite my last post and the fact I support the jubilee celebrations and monarchy, I think this is a fair post.

I wouldn't say I'm proud of the celebrations, I was proud yesterday because my lad shared his ice cream with another toddler completely unprompted, I was quite proud the day before when I prepped a lovely spread and nailed a bit of Lamb on the BBQ for everyone.

I think it's nice that there's a reason for everyone to have a celebration, put up some flags and get together with other people. I drove through a few sussex villages yesterday and they look great with all the flags out. Its taken a lot of effort and organisation, that's what life should be about. It certainly isn't about grumbling constantly on social media!

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Regardless of what you may think about the monarchy, no other country pulls off pageantry and ceremony quite like Britain. Many try to imitate but none come close. Always makes me unashamedly proud.

North Korea do it better in my opinion.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Wrong question. More importantly is everyone enjoying the days off relaxing with family and friends ? It’s the kids that enjoy it the most. I loved the Silver Jubilee (10 years old) and also the Golden when I had young kids of my own. The cynics will do what they do but I’m enjoying it all again even though I’ve never been a royalist.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
You know that for a fact? You have experience of the way all the others do it?

This gets trotted out, but I'm not sure a tedious, unrelatable concert that not one wants to watch and Brian May playing guitar on a public building cuts it for me.

I think you may have misunderstood if you think I was referring to this evening’s concert as an example of how Britain does ceremony and pageantry. I was referring to traditions like Trooping the Colour or events like the flypast for example. Of course, I don’t have examples from every other country by at of comparison but if you prefer watching columns of inter-continental ballistic missile launchers rumbling through Red Square on May 9th or ridiculous 20+ bullet proof vehicle American presidential motorcades then why not?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wrong question. More importantly is everyone enjoying the days off relaxing with family and friends ? It’s the kids that enjoy it the most. I loved the Silver Jubilee (10 years old) and also the Golden when I had young kids of my own. The cynics will do what they do but I’m enjoying it all again even though I’ve never been a royalist.

Are you getting days off for this event?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Brilliant, another thread for the same moaning old grumpy b*stards to get triggered because other people are coming together and enjoying themselves :lolol::facepalm::mad:

Bu66er off and be happy somewhere else!:kiss:

Having said that, we had a very pleasant afternoon with neighbours in a nearby garden yesterday afternoon……..

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I was actually annoyed the other day when checking online our bin collection day, which is normally Friday so expecting it to be different this week - going in to next week.

It was emptied, as per usual, on Friday! Don’t binmen deserve public holidays like everyone else? Their kids may not have the enjoyments you’re talking about.

I just hope they were getting overtime rates, time off in lieu or similar, and that it wasn’t foisted on them with “no choice” and no consultation.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Brilliant, another thread for the same moaning old grumpy b*stards to get triggered because other people are coming together and enjoying themselves :lolol::facepalm::mad:

I’m of the opinion that actually those moaning are not actually old. They are more likely to be youngsters who are the future of this country and see things for what they are.

The people lining the streets look like they are on the older side of the age spectrum and I think that sums up how support in the monarchy will continue to decline as years pass. That doesn’t take into account who is next in line.

Enjoy this weekend if you wish as I don’t think you’ll see anything like this ever again.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Personally, I’m pleased Elizabeth has lived so long and has expertly steered a course of not meddling.

I was reminded earlier when reading up, that Charles stuck his influential nose into the planned fox hunting ban with a series of private letters to PM Blair. He also quipped mournfully about leaving the UK if Labour banned fox hunting.

Thank Christ she’s stayed the course, to keep that very selfish twit away from more influence.

We’ve escaped the entire look-at-me loud mouth celebrations that would’ve occurred in our Brighton street, by visiting Bath and then the Cotswolds. A late idea, a great move.

Bath and the Cotswolds is my stomping ground... good choice 👍

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I can't be arsed to construct a long thread that could articulate my confused thoughts.

But I hope one day that we have an independent media that allows the public to form their own opinions rather than have them reading and listening to all the biased rubbish that is currently fed to us and is very prevalent.

Currently out country's path is decided by money men and media tycoons who decided what we should have based on their needs.

Once the Queen departs this earth the royal family will weaken substantially and the expenditure will be questioned more.
How has it come to us needing so many food banks to feed our fellow citizens who can't afford to eat?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Regardless of what you may think about the monarchy, no other country pulls off pageantry and ceremony quite like Britain. Many try to imitate but none come close. Always makes me unashamedly proud.

Morning, Crodo :thumbsup:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Meh

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I was actually annoyed the other day when checking online our bin collection day, which is normally Friday so expecting it to be different this week - going in to next week.

It was emptied, as per usual, on Friday! Don’t binmen deserve public holidays like everyone else? Their kids may not have the enjoyments you’re talking about.

I just hope they were getting overtime rates, time off in lieu or similar, and that it wasn’t foisted on them with “no choice” and no consultation.

I am pretty sure that bin collections occur on all bank holidays apart from Christmas.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bath and the Cotswolds is my stomping ground... good choice ��

Off to NT Hidcote Manor Gardens shortly, then staying the night in Chipping Campden. Taking the scenic direct route rather than the M5. I’ve seen so much of Britain, but I’ve never been to the Cotswolds north of the M4.

I love gardens, really looking forward to Hidcote.

Bath’s amazing. Fortunes have been spent making the area by Bath Spa station nice too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here