[News] Has it made you feel proud ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Personally, I’m pleased Elizabeth has lived so long and has expertly steered a course of not meddling.

I was reminded earlier when reading up, that Charles stuck his influential nose into the planned fox hunting ban with a series of private letters to PM Blair. He also quipped mournfully about leaving the UK if Labour banned fox hunting.

Thank Christ she’s stayed the course, to keep that very selfish twit away from more influence.

Charles knows that, as Prince, he can do that, but as a monarch, he can’t.
He has done some stirling work in conservation, and climate change.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Regardless of what you may think about the monarchy, no other country pulls off pageantry and ceremony quite like Britain. Many try to imitate but none come close. Always makes me unashamedly proud.
Proud, but sadly somewhat carefully proud these days. It feels as if Britain - or maybe England - has acquired such a state of self-loathing among some of its people that being proud of it has come to be considered uacceptable, and subject to very hurtful adverse comments.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Proud, but sadly somewhat carefully proud these days. It feels as if Britain - or maybe England - has acquired such a state of self-loathing among some of its people that being proud of it has come to be considered uacceptable, and subject to very hurtful adverse comments.

It's not as dramatic as self-loathing, more a realisation that we're nowhere near as wonderful as some would suggest, and it's on a slowly downward trajectory.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Charles knows that, as Prince, he can do that, but as a monarch, he can’t.
He has done some stirling work in conservation, and climate change.

I agree about that, but he was late to the party compared to some.

Animal welfare is a lifelong passion of mine. I’ll always despise people who’s hobby is inflicting suffering on another creature for fun.

His fantastic work on meadows and selective fauna when it suits him, doesn’t sweep his cruel bloodlust under the carpet for me.

[I’m broadly a ‘Royalist’ btw and I’m proud of many things about our country].

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

This. I mentioned that I was going to watch Trooping the Colour to a couple of friends because I like the music and I was
given all the "will you be wearing your UKIP t-shirt as well?" etc etc. I didn't say anything, but that seems to be the attitude,
particularly of left-wing tendency people. Liking tradition = having extreme right wing views; utter bollox of course.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Last time I visited was 1994! An incredible place. Heaving with overseas tourists, great to see after lockdowns.

We have stayed there twice not far from that bridge.
There is a great crazy golf not far from Royal Crescent, not sure this is on the list of places to visit for overseas tourists :)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nope. Having some people celebrated by other people not known to them is quite embarrassing in this day and age

Odd remark. Guess you never had any pop, film, sport heroes either.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We have stayed there twice not far from that bridge.
There is a great crazy golf not far from Royal Crescent, not sure this is on the list of places to visit for overseas tourists :)

Ditto … in 1994 with an ex on stunning Great Pulteney Street (the far less developed side of the river), this time a few minutes away the other side.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This. I mentioned that I was going to watch Trooping the Colour to a couple of friends because I like the music and I was
given all the "will you be wearing your UKIP t-shirt as well?" etc etc. I didn't say anything, but that seems to be the attitude,
particularly of left-wing tendency people. Liking tradition = having extreme right wing views; utter bollox of course.

The same divisive thinking where Thornberry mocked white man van with a St George’s Cross flag.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Regardless of what you may think about the monarchy, no other country pulls off pageantry and ceremony quite like Britain. Many try to imitate but none come close. Always makes me unashamedly proud.

I'd be interested to know what pageantry you have watched from other countries to compare it against? E.g. I've heard Japan can be pretty good, and Samoa takes some beating. Is there a league table for people walking about in robes and medals awarded for no obvious reason?

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021

Just a thought, but could it be that Britain has a lot not to feel proud about? Standing up to the Nazis was good but I can't think of much else...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Could not have put it better. Some seem determined to self destruct in an orgy of cringe/embarrassment as the rest of the world looks on bemused and rather jealous. Feck ‘em though, and their inability to measure life in anything other than pounds shillings and pence. Happy Jubilee GT!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Royalists amongst us will now have to accept they will now see huge reform and it's a very long time coming.

Reality has caught up with institution I'm afraid. Issues have failed to be dealt with out of respect (somewhat by chance) for a very elderly monarch and her elderly late husband.

They used to blame the parents.

By all means have an unelected heredity of state, but the tax payer cannot continue to support a dysfunctional soap opera of a family (with dubious public roles) whose personal conduct fills the tabloids.

Unfortunately I think the power behind the monarchy isn't the family itself but those who made a career out of being paid by it.

I'd personally like to see a greatly scaled back Royal Family where the monarch makes far more public "intervention". Rather than a meaningless public role where they very very rarely address the nation.

That's my major criticism of the current Monarch, she's had hidden behind the curtain of the institution and has to be pushed into making even the most apolitical of statements.

A Wizard of Oz Queen.

Last edited:

theboybilly

Just a thought, but could it be that Britain has a lot not to feel proud about? Standing up to the Nazis was good but I can't think of much else...

What exactly has Britain not to feel proud about. A little island in the middle of the Atlantic has done rather well for itself over the centuries. Something your are getting the benefit of today.
I know where you'll go with this but there's a lot that Britain did in its past that is still admired today. We weren't great all the time but there were certainly things where the world would look significantly different had they not happened. By and large I would suggest Britain's influence today is still as tangible and important as it ever was. That's something to be celebrated, don't you think?

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea

I get where you're coming from but, to be fair, surely there's some middle ground between the two poles of a total, patriotic acquiescence & the self loathing? Ok, so our leadership often has a lot to answer for (embarrassing in recent times, I think) but my neighbours in this part of Cardiff are mostly Hindu, Muslim & Sikh, & that's just the more pleasant ones, & they're here because they generally want to be. The UK is significantly a better place to be gay, for example, not a fact to take that lightly. I won't go on but I can think of plenty of things to be both ashamed & proud of, I think that's the point I'd like to make; we have it pretty good here, for many reasons, & we can say whatever & express ourselves however we like about those who are in charge, without fear of penalty. & the weather's pretty consistent, & the beer's good. Sometimes I think even the French don't hate us as much as we sometimes do.

Standing up to the Nazis was, to be fair, pretty good too. & we'd do it again, I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports