Has Gus changed nationality?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Poyet: Our Best Yet
Posted on: Sat 16 Jan 2010

By Tim Dudding

Gus Poyet felt the 2-1 win at Walsall was Albion's best yet since the Paraguayan took charge.

Two terrific goals from Glenn Murray and Nicky Forster, either side of Matt Richards' powerful strike, gave Albion an impressive victory on a difficult pitch.

Groundstaff at the Bescot Stadium worked tirelessly to get the game on following the recent snow and rain, but even though referee Graham Horwood was satisfied the pitch was safe, the surface churned up badly during the course of the afternoon.

Poyet said, "I think it is one of our best victories so far because while people tend to remember good performances on good pitches or on television, the pitch today was very difficult and the players deserve all the credit.

"It was very difficult for us to keep the pace and the quality of the first 25 minutes and their goal came at a bad time for us as we were on top and not expecting it.

"It was their first shot and they didn't deserve it. It felt unfair, but our reaction to it was important.

"We knew how difficult it would be to defend in the second half as they piled everything into the box and we had to be very sharp in defence. I think we were terrific."

Full-backs Inigo Calderon and Marcos Painter made their Albion debuts on either flank, and Poyet was delighted with the duo.

"I think Inigo had a very good game. I did not give him a specific player to mark but he did well under the conditions.

"He likes to pass the ball and build the play, and we had to hold him back a little today because of the pitch and also his fitness!

"We knew Marcos had the experience and we knew how good he was at doing the simple things well.

"I always say that players and managers can complicate things as football is a very simple game, and he makes it look simple because he does it so well."

Poyet had some tricky decisions to make regarding his team selection. Gavin Hoyte was left out altogether, while Liam Dickinson had to make do with a place on the bench.

But the Albion boss has stressed to his squad that everyone will get their chance at some point.

"Liam was not happy, but I did not expect him to be and I like that in a player.

"Gavin Hoyte was also left out of the squad today and I have no problem with a player who gets upset with the manager over a selection decision.

"But all of the players have to make sure that they are ready, because with the run of games that we have got, every single player is going to be important."

Brilliant!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports