Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Graham Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well we have asked this question about one ex Albion custodian, now it's time to pose the same question about another. He isn't exactly having the best time of things at Chelsea is he?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Right now yes.
But it will depend whether Chelsea give him the time he needs(as Brighton did), or whether they end up having to bow to fan pressure and fire him.
It's why, IMHO, he'll never make a good England manager
There’s no guarantee that giving him time will see a positive outcome, in fact giving him time might be the worst thing Chelsea can do.

Chelsea is a completely different model to us with an entitled fan base (around the World) demanding success regardless of what it takes to achieve it.

Another couple of poor results and bums will be twitching even more than they are now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why do people even care?
Strange question. There's a 3000 page thread on what is the best song you've heard today. Are we only supposed to comment on things that matter deeply then?

Personally I thought it might be a challenge for him but I'm enjoying immensely just how bad Chelsea have got. I wouldn't rule out him turning it around though. To be fair he's inherited a shocking squad of lazy has-beens, players who aren't good enough, sicknotes and expensive flops. It's not entirely his fault by any means.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nope, give him time and he will sort it. Question is if Chelsea is a strong enough club to try to do something long-term or if they want to keep being a club trying to go for short-term fixes that makes them bounce up and down the league table.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Right now yes.
But it will depend whether Chelsea give him the time he needs(as Brighton did), or whether they end up having to bow to fan pressure and fire him.
It's why, IMHO, he'll never make a good England manager
I think it well depend more on if the players trust him and his methods. If he loses the dressing room Chelsea will have no choice.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I think the Chelsea job was always going to be difficult for someone like Graham, and not through much fault of his own has a big chance of failure. Firstly you have a squad thats been assembled by the big spending of different past managers, so its feel disjointed, and some of these over paid big names who are past their prime are probably struggling for motivation when Graham is directing them. Chelsea are also a team that have a high percentage of entitled fans, who probably never go to games, but are very loud in voicing their opinion which is largely 'who the f*** is graham potter, he's never won anything, i dont want him at my club'. There's Chelsea fans who couldnt wait for him to fail. Because of that it was always going to be an uphill battle. Secondly, when they appointed him Chelsea made all the right noise about this being a long term plan, and even if there was going to be some bumps in the road they were going for a change of direction which meant investment in youth (which could take a while to develop) and getting a manager with a clear philosophy of tactics. Right now because its not entirely a squad of Graham's choosing, he's not long been in the job, he currently has players who may not be quick in taking on his theories, and there's a lot of injuries for them they are experiencing one of those bumps in the road. Give him more time (which they initially promised), ignore the negative voices, wait for the young players to get upto speed, and things will no doubt improve, but Chelsea being Chelsea im pretty sure Todd Boehly will give in to those negative voices and sack Graham before the original plan has been given time to bear fruit. & they'll be appointing another Mourinho type in no time.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
There’s no guarantee that giving him time will see a positive outcome, in fact giving him time might be the worst thing Chelsea can do.

Chelsea is a completely different model to us with an entitled fan base (around the World) demanding success regardless of what it takes to achieve it.

Another couple of poor results and bums will be twitching even more than they are now.
Chelsea cannot afford to spend too long out of the CL. One season maximum. So it looks like he could get all this season and then will have to be delivering in 23/24. He won't be given two full seasons.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Strange question. There's a 3000 page thread on what is the best song you've heard today. Are we only supposed to comment on things that matter deeply then?

Personally I thought it might be a challenge for him but I'm enjoying immensely just how bad Chelsea have got. I wouldn't rule out him turning it around though. To be fair he's inherited a shocking squad of lazy has-beens, players who aren't good enough, sicknotes and expensive flops. It's not entirely his fault by any means.
You say it's a strange question, but then answer it (perfectly, I might add) :smile:

I guess, like the Price Harry fiasco, I can't really contain my indifference about Potter, but I'm fascinated by people's fascination. For me, Potter was a decent manager who I stopped caring about pretty much the minute he entered talks with Chelsea. I honestly don't give a fack about what happens to him in football. Odds are that one day he'll be sacked and lots of people here will gloat – or he'll win the CL and some Brighton fans (or weird Swedish posters with an unhealthy obsession) will claim he's a genius. I can't really get worked up either way about him, if I'm honest!

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I think he's got a nightmare on his hands. They're potentially looking at having to sustain a wage bill and attract top players while being out of the Champions League for a year or two and that quickly becomes the impossible to fulfil. I think with time he'll turn it around, but if this season ends outside of Europe and without winning anything I don't think he'll get that time and he'll forever be a (very wealthy) "could have been so much better" manager if he'd chosen a better club to leave Brighton for.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
As much as we like to grab the popcorn and enjoy a little schadenfreude as Graham struggles, I think he probably will sort it out if given the time. He's the kind of manager that wants to shift the whole culture of the club and that's not something that can happen overnight. My only concern for him is that maybe he needs a bit more of a mean streak when clashing with the egos of £50m+ players. I don't know if hoping to just earn their respect is going to work. I think he probably needs to demand it a bit more.

The $million question is whether Boehly will give him that time. He has said he would, and I don't really see a reason not to take him at his word at this point. I feel there is a lot of projecting going on with Boehly, expecting him to be the worse of all clueless owners with a new plaything, without any real evidence...yet.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

But the "shocking squad of lazy has-beens, players who aren't good enough, sicknotes and expensive flops" were all there when he signed up for the job. Potter knew exactly what he was going to get. Don't kid yourself that the move to Chelsea was about anything other than the money, knowing full well that even if they sacked him, he would be rich beyond measure.

Bryanw42

Nov 8, 2021
Epsom
yes (he has bitten off more than he can chew.)
He knew what he was entering into and should have developed a better plan to face the challenges mentioned above. (Inherited team, entitled fans etc). I suppose the only thing he could not have planned for is the current injury list, so he's unfortunate there.
If he's the type of manager that needs significant time, then he's picked the wrong place to work (I think the assurances that he will be given time are meaningless and he will go soon).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here