Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Graham Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew?

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I really don't understand what Scott Boehly's vision is.

On the one hand he has told Graham Potter that he has a long term plan to build for the future and to change the playing philosophy and provide first team players from their development squad, a la Brighton. He will also be given time to do so.

On the other he has publicly informed all other club chairmen that he is willing to outbid any suitors for all of their best players.

Confusing in the extreme.
Chelsea are the new Everton.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Mitoma … a player that Potter chucked on with 10 minutes to go ..

The main difference between Potter and RDZ … goals and lots of them. Goals or the lack of them which has always been Potters achilles heel. To me it is all speed of passing and the view that two touches is one touch too many.
You have to be blind to notice that when we score under RDZ we often outnumber opponents defenders in the box. This wasn’t the case under Potter hence why we didn’t score that many. Everton was a prime example.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Your definition of shitting on someone is people suggesting they are happy with his replacement after he ditched us and pointing out the fact that he lost his cool at a press conference? (And it is a fact, he did, just watch it).

Nah, this time it is bromance all the way.

Are you defending him on the Chelsea forums to this degree. My guess is that we are fairly tame compared to what is happening over there. Am I right?
Nah. I know you don't ever perceive it as such because its in the vains. I love some things about English culture - the dedication to music, the often creative and rowdy humour - but you LOVE pilling up on someone who is struggling or who you don't like for whatever reason. Beckham 98, Seaman 02, penalty takers in the 2020 final... just some of many examples. Rest of the world looks on and thinks "well, actually maybe you weren't overall that great to begin with" while you have your witch burning session against whoever should get the blame for everything. Holds you back really. The fear of failure is always greater than the belief in success.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
FFS, You would have to be blind or Palace not to see the difference. FWIW I was gutted when Potter left so it’s not a case of Potter being shit (far from it) but the improvement under RDZ has been staggering. Potters Brighton is pedestrian compared to RDZ’s.
Or just not entirely blinded with emotion. No one is yet to show one piece of data proving this alleged increased pace in attack.

talk2knighty

Dec 26, 2014
Or just not entirely blinded with emotion. No one is yet to show one piece of data proving this alleged increased pace in attack.
Data maybe not, but I think I can safely say that within a short space of time the majority of NSC members and fans have very quickly realised that they would rather have the current Head Coach than the previous, and seeing as you think we are a “small club” then I’d suggest there won’t be many examples of a small club losing their manager to a bigger club and being almost immediately happy with the replacement to the point where they actually think we’ve got the better deal?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Data maybe not, but I think I can safely say that within a short space of time the majority of NSC members and fans have very quickly realised that they would rather have the current Head Coach than the previous, and seeing as you think we are a “small club” then I’d suggest there won’t be many examples of a small club losing their manager to a bigger club and being almost immediately happy with the replacement to the point where they actually think we’ve got the better deal?
Not disagreeing with the first part.
Being happy with the new manager isn't unusual though. Most have a honeymoon where everything they touch appears to turn to gold.

Fulham fans were happy quite soon after Hughes replaced Hodgson. Roberto Martinez made Everton fans delighted when they lost David Moyes. Wolves fans were very happy clappy about Bruno Lage replacing Nuno.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Tell you what. You show me I’m wrong, you are one for show me the data but never provide it yourself.
However a starter for you is that we have scored 32 goals in the 15 games that RDZ has been in charge. We managed 44 for the whole of last season …. Now granted under Potter we achieved similar for the start of the season but he played one top six side (two if you include Newcastle), whereas RDZ has faced SIX.

I have no problem with your love in with Potter, but he dumped us for the rich tart up the road with the plastic tits and fish lips, only to find she has an STI … of course we are going to enjoy his demise.
Leaving wasn’t the problem it’s how he went about it.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Not disagreeing with the first part.
Being happy with the new manager isn't unusual though. Most have a honeymoon where everything they touch appears to turn to gold.

Fulham fans were happy quite soon after Hughes replaced Hodgson. Roberto Martinez made Everton fans delighted when they lost David Moyes. Wolves fans were very happy clappy about Bruno Lage replacing Nuno.
I don’t know Chelsea do not seem too happy with theirs and Southampton are hardly dancing in the aisles either

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Tell you what. You show me I’m wrong, you are one for show me the data but never provide it yourself.
However a starter for you is that we have scored 32 goals in the 15 games that RDZ has been in charge. We managed 44 for the whole of last season …. Now granted under Potter we achieved similar for the start of the season but he played one top six side (two if you include Newcastle), whereas RDZ has faced SIX.

I have no problem with your love in with Potter, but he dumped us for the rich tart up the road with the plastic tits and fish lips, only to find she has an STI … of course we are going to enjoy his demise.
When you say 32 in 15, you're including the cups, while when you say 44 for the whole season, you're excluding the cup (1-1, 2-1, 3-0, 2-0, 0-1, 0-3).

RDZ has managed Brighton in 11 PL games, scoring 21 goals.
In GPs final 11 PL games, the team scored 22 goals.

Sorry if I'm struggling to see this massive positive change in the number of goals the scoring after switching from Graham Potter to Roberto De Zerbi. But I have an excuse:
The massive change simply don't exist outside your emotional sphere.

As for "big six", RDZ did indeed face five of them (win against Chelsea, draw against Liverpool, loss against City, loss against Tottenham, loss against Arsenal).
Last six for Potter facing top six (win x2 vs United, win against Spurs, win against Arsenal, loss against Spurs, loss against Liverpool).

I have no problem with the love for RDZ, I really like him as well, but rewriting history does my head in.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta

You won't win. I tried to reason with him once. Never again. 'Blinded with emotion' indeed.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You won't win. I tried to reason with him once. Never again. 'Blinded with emotion' indeed.
Of course not. When you feel that Brighton are scoring a drazillion more goals in the Premier League and I have numbers that show it isn't the case (with similar players that is)... hard to win.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's like thinking you, and you alone, are the person who can convince Farage to admit BREXIT was a mistake.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
When you say 32 in 15, you're including the cups, while when you say 44 for the whole season, you're excluding the cup (1-1, 2-1, 3-0, 2-0, 0-1, 0-3).

RDZ has managed Brighton in 11 PL games, scoring 21 goals.
In GPs final 11 PL games, the team scored 22 goals.

Sorry if I'm struggling to see this massive positive change in the number of goals the scoring after switching from Graham Potter to Roberto De Zerbi. But I have an excuse:
The massive change simply don't exist outside your emotional sphere.

As for "big six", RDZ did indeed face five of them (win against Chelsea, draw against Liverpool, loss against City, loss against Tottenham, loss against Arsenal).
Last six for Potter facing top six (win x2 vs United, win against Spurs, win against Arsenal, loss against Spurs, loss against Liverpool).

I have no problem with the love for RDZ, I really like him as well, but rewriting history does my head in.

Pretty fair and I’m sure we’re conceding more too, which is a (slight) concern.

Indeed, irrespective of my personal opinion of GP as a person, his transformation of our playing style early during his tenure was and remains the catalyst for the exceptional times we’ve experienced during the last six-eight months or so. This is undeniable. Without GP there would be no Roberto and very possibly no PL football.

I remain convinced, when I first saw GP football firsthand at Newcastle - during the first few weeks of his reign, that it was (at that point) the best I’d ever seen us play in my lifetime. Given the level, the personnel on the pitch (even if we drew 0-0) it was ridiculous, when just a few months previously we’d all been tortured by that Cardiff game :/

Make no mistake, GP put us (along with some superb recruitment) on the map... to the extent that someone like Roberto wanted the job.

Revisionist stuff doesn’t help, but I will always assert GP would have been better off anywhere but Chelsea, and furthermore, waiting until the end of this season to jump ship. His decision, his bed and (yes) his millions in the bank... hey ho etc.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And yet, over at Chelsea.......
Yup, they're not happy. There are of course exceptions to clubs being happy with their new manager/players initially, and GP is one of those exceptions.

Funny old world. Six months ago their fans were regularly labelled racist, homophobic, entitled scumbags and now some here consider them a great source of wisdom.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pretty fair and I’m sure we’re conceding more too, which is a (slight) concern.
We're getting exactly what we were told was coming by those who knew his style of play.

TBH I think we're conceding less than I expected, I was anticipating the same amount of odd goal results, just with more goals.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yup, they're not happy. There are of course exceptions to clubs being happy with their new manager/players initially, and GP is one of those exceptions.

Funny old world. Six months ago their fans were regularly labelled racist, homophobic, entitled scumbags and now some here consider them a great source of wisdom.
Chelsea fans are historically racist, though you see plenty of black faces and tourists at Stamford Bridge now. It's kind of been gentrified out of many with only the old Combat 18 bros hanging on. The NF isn't exactly selling magazines there now. I've also very little doubt one of two of their yoof have come out with the homophobic taunts on the way to the Amex. It's absolutely standard against us.

But what they are, without a shadow of doubt, is entitled, which, given how much money and success they've had in the modern era is hardly a surprise. Almost everyone on NSC and on Shed End has made the very obvious point that he wouldn't get any time with the fans there and that's not changed. Makes you wonder why he moved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here