Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has football forgotten they are in the entertainment business?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
As someone who works in theatre stage management, I can assure you that this isn't true. With the increasing reliance on automation to cut crew staffing costs, there are regular show stoppages and cancellations at many AAA West End productions when technology fails. Recently (within the last few weeks), performances of The Phantom of the Opera, Moulin Rouge, Frozen and The Life of Pi have been cancelled for technical (non Covid) reasons.

If you add in Covid related cancellations, the West End is averaging 5+ cancellations per night, peaking tonight with 12 cancellations at "A" venues including three of the largest and highest grossing shows.

Is it because they’re greedy for greater profit, cut staff and therefore probably deserve these foreseeable problems? It’s a bit like complaining shop theft goes up when removing till staff. For what? To make the share holders even more rich?! Feck ‘em, the show clearly doesn’t go on and they’ve only themselves to blame.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I have to agree that there is little entertainment watching the Albion at the moment. I live near Reading and tonight it took nearly 3 hours to get to the AMEX and after such an inept display I wonder why I bother. If it were a one off then you can accept that but tonight, Leeds, Newcastle, Norwich, etc simply not good enough and the problem rests with the management. Nothing will change until TB decides enough is enough and he gets in somebody who can inspire, motivate and with a game plan that asks questions of defences through being more positive rather than the passive keep ball approach we have now.

But you’ve got a nice Dogs Home and will soon become the Hollywood of England so not all bad. And there’s always the Royals…! :lolol:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But entertainment isn't the primary purpose, is it? It's first and foremost a sporting competition. It happens to be one that is/can be entertaining to watch, but the people in charge are running a competition, one with rules and structures that are intended to bring some degree of fairness and parity*, and ensuring the official are fully equipped to do their job is part of that.

*how successful they are in that is, of course, debateable, but I think often people lose sight of this.

Sorry, did you say ‘Sporting Competition’?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Is it because they’re greedy for greater profit, cut staff and therefore probably deserve these foreseeable problems? It’s a bit like complaining shop theft goes up when removing till staff. For what? To make the share holders even more rich?! Feck ‘em, the show clearly doesn’t go on and they’ve only themselves to blame.

Absolutely.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I may be in a minority here I accept. I do not find watching BHA in the least bit boring, incredibly frustrating yes, but I am seldom bored. Do I want to go back to watching players who can’t trap a ball, spin, wriggle and turn with it like Trossard, lump the ball down the field to a player who over runs it or puts the ball over the stand when shooting? Agricultural tackling and no little one twos between players? Nah, you’re alright thanks

If I wanted that I’d go and watch a Sunday League team

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
I may be in a minority here I accept. I do not find watching BHA in the least bit boring, incredibly frustrating yes, but I am seldom bored. Do I want to go back to watching players who can’t trap a ball, spin, wriggle and turn with it like Trossard, lump the ball down the field to a player who over runs it or puts the ball over the stand when shooting? Agricultural tackling and no little one twos between players? Nah, you’re alright thanks

we do that regularly now :lolol:

Jimmy Grimble

I don’t find us boring either. Last night however was incredibly dull, partly due to our attacking ineptitude and Wolves outstanding defensive shape but largely because of the amount of lengthy stoppages in the second half. It felt like the ball was in play for about 10 minutes of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here