Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has Ferguson Scored Our Best Headed Goal?

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Watching the highlights again of Leicester away last season, I'm wondering if we've ever scored a better headed goal than Fergusons equalizer.
Anyone think of a better one?

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Murray must have scored a few gems, his positioning and touch were superb, just didn't always get the right service.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Romain Vincelot against Coventry 2011/12 season should be in the mix as far as headed goals go.

Remarkably the highlights are still available via the BBC

Good headed goal against us by Gary Gardner, shame he never looked capable of that in a Brighton shirt.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I did like Mitoma’s headed winner vs ‘Muff. Millimetre accuracy from a player not gifted with the physical advantages (in terms of heading) that Ferguson enjoys.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Surely Ulloa's at Forest...?
Ulloa's goal is in the same category as Murray's v Birmingham, in as much as they are emotively great goals rather than a technically great header (although Murray's was also a great header to be fair). Ulloa's goal as a header was nothing special, but what it meant was absolutely immense.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think I’ve seen Danny Cullip nearly tear the net pegs out the ground with a header.
Possibly v Chesterfield, or I may be imagining it.
You’re not imagining it. It was Chesterfield at Withdean. The game where Atilla played musical gems such as ‘I faught the Law’ on the tannoy in tribute to Cheaterfield’s points deduction.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I seem to recall Steve Piper scoring against Millwall sometime in the 70's with a bullet of a header from just outside the penalty area. I could be misremembering though as I was only about 14 at the time. I would put that above Fergie's header against Leicester but not by much

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I have seared in my mind a bullet header scored by Gerry Armstrong from near the edge of the box into the North Stand goal at the Goldstone circa 1986. I can visualise it so well from my vantage point on the West Stand, even though i was just 12 at the time, half a lifetime ago.

God knows how my memory stands up to reality, it may not have even happened at all, but regardless that will always be the best headed goal i have ever seen.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lee Steele's injury-time header on Easter Monday, 2002 for a 2-1 win over Bristol City is one forever etched in the memory. We'd been pegging Reading back in League Two all season, and this win allowed us to finally overhaul them and go on to win the title. I was in that daft little stand in the corner for my first and last time. Only place I could get a ticket. Thoroughly wretched view. Apart. From. THAT. Goal. Damn near had a heart attack when that one went in! :ohmy:

lee steele goal.jpg.article-642.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here