Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Di Canio Gone -

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Thank goodness for that, the way they were going they might have kept Palace off the bottom. Good luck to Poyet if he gets the gig.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Be surprised if Poyet takes it, thought he's family was well settled in the south. Saying that he was at Leeds.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I would rather Pullis get the job as Gus would come in for Bridcutt and Ulloa and I wouldnt want to lose either, irrespective of how well Ince and Barnes have stood in for them.

It's not as if he can just come and take them for free, and he'd have to wait until January anyway. Besides, I'm sure that Bridcutt and Ulloa are already on the radar of a few premier league managers.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Di Canio only went there in the first place because he thought it was Sudentenland (younger posters might like to look that up!)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It was never going to work. You can treat lower division no-mark players like shit and get away with it - after all, he IS Paulo. Di. Canio.

But start all that with cossetted Premier League players and seasoned internationals, earning fortunes, and its not going to work. He was a fresh face that gave them a shot in the arm to keep them up last season, so in that respect the appointment initially worked as they were dying on their arse under O'Neill and sleepwalking towards relegation. But longer term, it was always an accident waiting to happen. You cannot keep going public on disciplinary issues, slagging players off, singling them out for criticism, and then the following week expect loyalty or unity from them. Yes it makes great headlines. Yes we might all think "good on yer, telling them ponces how it is". But in the end, they won't play for you. It just creates disharmony and splits in the dressing room. Paulo di Canio is to man management what Hitler was to race relations. He's just too combustible a character to ever be a successful manager at a decent level.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Trouble is that Gus is pretty much a DiCanio Lite.

Other way around isn't it? Gus proved himself in the top two divisions.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lets hope Gus takes it if he has and falls flat on his face

I would have no problem with Gus doing well at Sunderland, especially if it we don't have to pay him any compensation.

People seem to forget. He went a bit tonto towards the end but we had some very good times under him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lets hope Gus takes it if he has and falls flat on his face

I don't think he would and I certainly wouldn't like to see him fail. I'd be interested to see how Sunderland fans would react to his interviews where he tells them his ambition is to manage Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal etc. I doubt they'd be as understanding as so many of our fans were. They'd react well to his Leeds love in too I imagine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here