Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has anyone seen any butterflies this year in England?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Don't nettles encourage some kind of butterfly. They lay their eggs on them or something?

Also - didn't I read that some butterflies (red admirals?) come here from Spain each spring?

Red Admirals are now reckoned to be able to overwinter here, but a lot more do fly in. The main immigrants though are their Vanessid cousins "Painted Ladies" (there was an invasionof them about 5 years ago, I remember seeing dozens around Newhaven. Also Clouded Yellows fly in at some time most years.

Having said that I understand there are rumours that the "Monarch" butterfly might try to establish itself here, this is a true worldwide species based mainly in America but has spread to Australia and I believe the Azores. It can fly for hundreds if not thousands of miles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarch_butterfly

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
It's a small tortoiseshell. I remember them being so abundant when I was a kid. You don't see them that often these days. They really are quite stunning.

Many years ago I used to breed them. Their caterpillars live together in a "nest" on nettles. If you disturb them or even get near them they "Twitch" in unison as a defence mechanism, quite eerie. I saw a nest of them a couple of weeks ago near the cemetery in Seaford.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Red Admirals are now reckoned to be able to overwinter here, but a lot more do fly in. The main immigrants though are their Vanessid cousins "Painted Ladies" (there was an invasionof them about 5 years ago, I remember seeing dozens around Newhaven. Also Clouded Yellows fly in at some time most years.

Having said that I understand there are rumours that the "Monarch" butterfly might try to establish itself here, this is a true worldwide species based mainly in America but has spread to Australia and I believe the Azores. It can fly for hundreds if not thousands of miles.

Thought I was seeing things / would never be believed but saw a Red Admiral in a garden in Hertfordshire at the end of FEBRUARY.

Subsequently read that it has been observed before.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My Butterfly count last Saturday in a 1 mile walk over downland 71 Meadow Brown's 15 Marbled Whites, 4 Large Whites, 4 Coppers, 4 Skippers, 2 Comma's, 1 Red Admiral, 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 1 Small Blue, 1 Common Blue, 1 Small Fritillary

My Butterfly count last Saturday in a 1 mile walk over downland 71 Meadow Brown's 15 Marbled Whites, 4 Large Whites, 4 Coppers, 4 Skippers, 2 Comma's, 1 Red Admiral, 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 1 Small Blue, 1 Common Blue, 1 Small Fritillary

And 1 speckled oddball???

Since the cull on badgers the butterfly numbers have shot right through the roof!:moo:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
:rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised if your not breeding the little buggers then painting them up with different designs and then flicking them out your car window as you go.:moo:

Ok then

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I've just seen a Painted Lady in my garden when I was dead heading the roses. It was fluttering around the fuschias. I've also got two hebes in full flower at the moment, attracting loads of bees.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
There was one in my kitchen yesterday. I hid behind the door while Mr P got rid. Can't stand the little fluttering wotsits!!!!!

There are increasing numbers in our garden attracted by the tree with the pointy purple bits just coming into blossom (sorry don't know its Latin name). Bees also appearing on the Lavender bush.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here