Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has anyone here had acupuncture?

levski seagull

Jul 7, 2003
brighton
I used to suffer with terrible back pain, tried lots of different things, in the end I tried an accupuncture mat (bed of nails), one word, miraculous! I used to lie on it 3 or 4 times a week, now maybe once a month. Best £20 I ever spent.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Never had it done but know plenty of people who have and it helps them a lot. In particular, my physio therapist recommends it, and he knows his onions.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Think my bike had one, a new inner tube fixed it. :smile:

But seriously, it didn't do much for me, but I know others who thought it was miraculous. If you are in pain it must be worth giving it a go.

It definitly works for some and if it works for you, your lucky.

Agree entirely with this.
It worked miraculously for my father for arthritis many years ago but did nothing more than cause additional pain for my wife last year for a similar condition

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I had acupuncture for weight loss. I was only in there for half an hour, and when he'd finished I was two stone lighter. I know I should have been happy, but to be honest, I just felt deflated.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Was a complete sceptic about it but was offered it as treatment for persistent sciatica-related pain in my back & legs.

The guy asked me to try and touch my toes before he started & I couldn't even get close. He did the needly bit (which didn't hurt at all, just felt very strange, like there was a hot spot where they went in), I got up, & instantly could touch my toes with ease, like all the muscles had just released.

Blew my mind, I have no idea how it works but it did for me.

I had a similar experience about 10 years ago and I was also a sceptic. I strained my lower back moving heavy furniture and was in agony and severely incapacitated; couldn't dress myself, drive, sleep etc. I went to my GP, also a trained acupuncturist, who offered me acupuncture. She inserted about 3 needles on each side of my lower spine, not painful at all. It was an immediate release of pressure and I could bend and move freely straight away. Absolutely amazing.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I had a similar experience about 10 years ago and I was also a sceptic. I strained my lower back moving heavy furniture and was in agony and severely incapacitated; couldn't dress myself, drive, sleep etc. I went to my GP, also a trained acupuncturist, who offered me acupuncture. She inserted about 3 needles on each side of my lower spine, not painful at all. It was an immediate release of pressure and I could bend and move freely straight away. Absolutely amazing.

I had no idea what acupuncture was supposed to do before I had it, and nor did I realise how seized up my back/hamstrings were, I just did what the guy asked me to do and tried to touch my toes. And couldn't do it.

Once the treatment was finished, I did the same thing, and with no effort whatsoever, was able to put my hands almost flat on the floor. I was genuinely astounded, as generally I'm very much the sceptic with all this sort of thing. I tend to believe that much "alternative" stuff works because of the placebo effect, and that people simply say they feel better because they're so desperate for it to work. But in my case, it wasn't like I was overlooking pain or convincing myself something hurt less than it did, it was purely and simply that I couldn't move normally one moment, and then a few minutes later was totally free again.

All because of a few needles in my backside :ohmy:

I doubt it's the solution to everyone's ailments but in my case, on that particular occasion, I can't doubt it. Not a clue how or why it works.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I had a course of acupuncture for my elbow which had both tennis & golfer's inflammations, on the NHS, which was RSI related. It didn't do anything for me.

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
There are two distinct types of acupuncture, one for the stop smoking type of therapy
And the other for muscular/ orthopaedic reasons

Apparently some people are more receptive to the treatment than others
But Worked really well for me on hip/thigh injury....would recommend Radius at the County ground in Hove

Gafones

Jul 28, 2009
Brighton
... pinman2.jpg

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I take it you live a natural life, naked in the woods eating only wild crops? No? Then I suggest it is you who needs to do one.

I wasn't suggesting you do one, it related to my original tongue in cheek post about science knowing everything.

However your suggestion is noted :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here