Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Has anyone had a gastroscopy?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Had it about 3 years ago, no sedation, could watch the telly ie where the tube went but ended up shutting my eyes and keeping still and placid. In fact the operator panicked at one time and woke me up as he thought I'd fainted or died on him! Mind you I did have a lovely Welsh nurse talking to me which was very calming. Due for another last year, still waiting, to see if I have Barretts syndrome. Will take I pod next time to listen to music which would be good.....nothing too lively!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I went in the other week to have a camera put in the other end. Nice bit of air and gas and everything was alright.

I think the key thing to remember is that these people do this all day every day - you will be in the safest hands possible.

All the best, hope it all goes well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Glad you're ok now, Thunder Bolt. Must have been quite frightening finding a lump - thankfully benign. Thanks for your reassuring post. You're one of my favourites on here. :love:
Thankfully I didn’t know anything about it until afterwards and they knew immediately it was benign so I didn’t have any worries.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Had one about 10 years ago, without the drugs and I don't recall any spray either. It wasn't particularly pleasant but it wasn't painful or panic inducing. Just one of those things you would like to be over quickly.

My wife's had a couple of similar procedures recently and the drugs did their job but left her feeling wiped out afterwards. If I had to have the same again I think I'd be OK without the sedative, but everyone is different.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I made the mistake of driving to hospital so couldn't have sedation (didn't know it was an option) - so had the throat spray.
It was unpleasant but not unbearable. Certainly not as unbearable as the Cystoscopy i had recently.....:oops::oops:
Yep, a cystoscopy is a right bundle of laughs, isn't it?
I'm a hardened veteran now. finished a 5-year course of regular check-ups (or downs?) in April this year

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
Had it about 3 years ago, no sedation, could watch the telly ie where the tube went but ended up shutting my eyes and keeping still and placid. In fact the operator panicked at one time and woke me up as he thought I'd fainted or died on him! Mind you I did have a lovely Welsh nurse talking to me which was very calming. Due for another last year, still waiting, to see if I have Barretts syndrome. Will take I pod next time to listen to music which would be good.....nothing too lively!
Another one here for just the throat spray (I can't honestly remember, tbh, but I did need to drive home), with the welsh angle also (not much help to you), not the best fun I've ever had but bearable & I survived. I also got to see my insides on the telly! (Not sure which channel got the TV rights) I literally turned over &, er, watched the other side, if you get where I'm coming from...

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
From my experience I'd say definitely take sedation.

I did it with throat spray only last year. Think you've got to be very strong-willed not to panic at all- it's obviously very alien to have a tube stuck down your throat and only be able to breathe cleanly through your nose. The numbing sensation is also seriously weird given you lose the ability to swallow. I was able to distract myself and calm down for small periods but as soon as my mind flicked back to what was going on- panic and a lot of retching. Whole thing must have taken about 5 minutes but felt like ages.

Tried to have a follow-up done without sedation and wasn't able to go through with it, as soon as the throat spray kicked in I basically went into fight or flight mode and couldn't swallow the tube.

I had the spray as had to drive home. A minor bit of gagging but fine other than that. Weirdest part was them snipping in my stomach as it us not normally an area where you feel anything.

Hiatus hernia diagnosed and a tablet a day keeps it in check unless I drink beer or eat spicy food (also known as weekends!)

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Horrible experience, had the other end and that was fine. Gagging for 5 mins. I will probably need another one soon as I constantly have gastritis not sure if it is better when you know what to expect.

autopsyturvey

Feb 24, 2018
I went with the throat spray and it was unpleasant but bearable. I’d much rather do that and be able to walk out by myself and be able to drive home afterwards.
Same. I had no trouble with the throat spray and just had gas/air for the colonoscopy. Meant I could go 15 minutes later and didn't need a cannula. They took a couple of benign polyps during the latter procedure, too.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I had the spray as had to drive home. A minor bit of gagging but fine other than that. Weirdest part was them snipping in my stomach as it us not normally an area where you feel anything.

Hiatus hernia diagnosed and a tablet a day keeps it in check unless I drink beer or eat spicy food (also known as weekends!)
Similar. Industrial Gaviscon (or Galveston as my dear old mum used to call it) helps after a drink or spicy food to stop reflux.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
Regrettably this. Never had the option of sedation, but i'd take that any time over the non-numbing throat spray.
The lady who tried to make it all ok by holding my hand as I retched and panic'd was very nice, but scant consolation....
Good luck

If you want sedation the NHS cannot deny it to you. They will always try to make you have the procedure without sedation as it is cheaper and there is less risk to the patient.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I had without sedation as it wasn’t available the day I was due to have it and I had already waited 5months, had the numbing spray which worked very well you'll feel you can’t breath. The tube going down felt completely unnatural and it it wasn’t for nurse stroking my head saying just breath slowly I’m not sure I’d have got through it. It was all over in under 5mins and I was out of hospital 5mins later. If I had to do it again id do it so it wasn’t that bad

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I’ve had the pleasure of the NHS sticking various tubes and cameras in most of my orifices but the camera into the stomach was without doubt the most unpleasant. I took the local option and would never do that again, go for as much sedation as possible. The good news for me was that they were able to confirm nothing wrong immediately after withdrawing the camera.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here