Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Has anyone got a succesful side hustle?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No worries, you weren't to know. It is a genius idea, and they've made themselves very rich with it. It's just hard not to harbour some animosity when you're suspended and put on a final warning for an incident that happened when you were at Carrow Road watching Brighton lose - especially when it means you're moved to a department with one other person who speaks no English and who has numerous fits/seizures every day. Especially as there isn't a single other person in the entire warehouse and you have no first aid/medical training.

Thankfully I got out of there 4 years ago. In the 4 years I worked there 3 people went home from a shift and died. That isn't normal. Staying there any longer would have taken years off my life.

Sorry an incident happened at the company when you were at Carrow Road I guess you mean? Rather than you did something at Carrow Road and the company used that against you? Wasn’t sure how to read it!

Sounds a horrible company - are you allowed to say the name or will google help me…?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Sorry an incident happened at the company when you were at Carrow Road I guess you mean? Rather than you did something at Carrow Road and the company used that against you? Wasn’t sure how to read it!

Sounds a horrible company - are you allowed to say the name or will google help me…?

Sorry, I worded it badly.

I was at Carrow Road for the game where Stockdale sored two own goals, during the match I got a message from two best mates from work saying there had been an argument at work, it had got a bit heated and someone had gone to HR to complain that someone else had called them shit at their job (tbf, they were) and they had both been suspended for it. I came back to work on Monday and people were looking at me like I had two heads. Eventually a shift leader asks why I've came in when I'm suspended. Turns out the person couldn't actually remember who had called him shit at his job so had just lumped me and my two mates in there together. Remarkably, being hundreds of miles away wasn't a good enough alabi. I'm sure the fact I had just made a formal complaint about the owners pet project being racist had nothing to do with it.

It's a company called World of Books. Massive warehouse in Goring when I worked there, although I think they're branching out now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not me personally but I know someone that gets paid for writing blog posts. He is signed up to a company who ask him to research and churn out 3,000 words on a topic and gets paid per word. Not the most profitable but low effort/stress.

Side hustle? Until a few months ago, that was my day job

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Sorry, I worded it badly.

I was at Carrow Road for the game where Stockdale sored two own goals, during the match I got a message from two best mates from work saying there had been an argument at work, it had got a bit heated and someone had gone to HR to complain that someone else had called them shit at their job (tbf, they were) and they had both been suspended for it. I came back to work on Monday and people were looking at me like I had two heads. Eventually a shift leader asks why I've came in when I'm suspended. Turns out the person couldn't actually remember who had called him shit at his job so had just lumped me and my two mates in there together. Remarkably, being hundreds of miles away wasn't a good enough alabi. I'm sure the fact I had just made a formal complaint about the owners pet project being racist had nothing to do with it.

It's a company called World of Books. Massive warehouse in Goring when I worked there, although I think they're branching out now.

I'd never heard of world of books until some **** in one of their vans tried squeezing me off the road on my scooter last week. He didn't take to kindly to me filtering through traffic at Arundel then caught me up on the A27 near Fontwell and pulled in on me doing 65.

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Not sure habitually cashing out on high scoring football bets can be classed as a hustle but it pays the council tax each year, so until 365 realise their paying out way over the odds I'll stick with the bottler label.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
My £10 a week acca investment has netted me a new set of Taylormade irons and 2 hybrids since the start of the euros.

Wouldn’t say it’s a hussle as such but a decent hourly rate none the less

Sent from my very expensive gated community

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011

I don’t get your point.
As I said and you know they get all their stock for free, so every sale is 100% profit.

I have worked in charity shops doing maintenance plumbing and people are donating items all the time, I’ve seen a stock room packed with clothes.
Surely the dealers are very good customers buying up this donated stuff.

i'm clearly not going to make you change your mind and if you/your mate are only making a few quid here and there fine but you even called him a dealer which suggests that he is making a living out of this. personally were i to buy something from a charity shop for say a fiver and it later turns out to be worth a few hundred my conscience would not let me make that much profit and a donation would be coming their way. after all if the original donnee knew someone would be practically ripping off the charity they wouldnt have even bothered to donate it.

Not sure habitually cashing out on high scoring football bets can be classed as a hustle but it pays the council tax each year, so until 365 realise their paying out way over the odds I'll stick with the bottler label.

im going back a few years now but when the bookies started offering odds on first/last goalscorer and all bets were hand paid-not computer checked, it was amazing how many times i could get paid a treble on say Ward first goalscorer, Ward Last goalscorer , Albion win 1-0.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
i'm clearly not going to make you change your mind and if you/your mate are only making a few quid here and there fine but you even called him a dealer which suggests that he is making a living out of this. personally were i to buy something from a charity shop for say a fiver and it later turns out to be worth a few hundred my conscience would not let me make that much profit and a donation would be coming their way. after all if the original donnee knew someone would be practically ripping off the charity they wouldnt have even bothered to donate it.

Try reading post #54, he also replied to your point and explained things far better than I did.

I’m not sure what you are on about with the “ you/your mate are only making a few quid here and there”
What mate have I mentioned?
Who did I call a dealer?…..I was talking in general…..dealers buy stuff from charity shops to sell on.
Your post is complete nonsense.
:facepalm:

I have never made any money buying and selling stuff from charity shops, where did I mention this?
I’ve donated stuff many times and bought books to read myself, also bought a few sweatshirts and t shirts to wear when i worked on building sites.
When I donate stuff to charity shops I only hope the shop can sell it on, I really do not care who buys it or if the buyer sells it on and makes a profit.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Not exactly a side hustle but in my younger years earning a decent income the wife and I used to look and buy run down flats and small properties, do them up and then sell them on for a profit. We went through 16 homes in 10 years and the returns from rennovation and selling made us just over £800k, allowing us to retire the right side of 50, although the wife keeps working as she loves her job. Hard work but rewarding too.

Jul 7, 2003
I don’t get your point.
As I said and you know they get all their stock for free, so every sale is 100% profit.

I have worked in charity shops doing maintenance plumbing and people are donating items all the time, I’ve seen a stock room packed with clothes.
Surely the dealers are very good customers buying up this donated stuff.

A lot of the charity shops are a lot more savvy than they used to be. Many of them now do take the time to research items. Some of them even sell their more choice items on ebay.

I did some volunteering at one of the local hospices a couple of years ago. They have a central site for donations which they then sort through. For clothing, the majority is sent away for recycling so what goes into their shops is usually stuff from higher quality brands. Anything 'designer' is separated to see if it can either be sold online or goes to specific shops in areas where they know that they can sell them at a higher price to maximise their income.

I spoke to the guy there about football shirts (hoping that there might be some rare Albion shirt hidden away!). He was saying that in the past they wouldn't really consider them any different to other sportswear but more recently they have become aware in the value of old shirts and make a point of pulling these out for sale online.

Obviously not all charities are the same or have the same resource but as [MENTION=33745]marlowe[/MENTION] said, they are getting more savvy about the value of donations.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I supplied orange juice direct to customers but I gave it up because I couldn't concentrate.

I moonlighted at a bakery, hated it but I kneaded the dough.

I also once had a job artificially inseminating cows, straight up, no bull.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
None for me though had some good ones in my youth. Worked at a leisure centre with an arcade on it. All the latest best games, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct. These machines were taking 100s a day, in the 90s. We had the backs iff them and a tray between the coin mech and the where the coins dropped to at the bottom. End of the day, take a portion from the tray for the staff, and put the bulk into the receptor at the bottom, where the coins were meant to end up for the arcade company.

Also had a relative who worked for a publisher. All the free stuff which came with magazines, they massively over stocked on and boxes and boxes went into the skips each week or month. Amiga and PC format were publications they did so was getting floppy disks by the thousands and selling them for 50 for a tenner at school when everyone was using them to pirate software. Shop price was about 60p for non branded disks at the time, did very well from that, plus golfballs, packets of sun lotion, whatever else...

Used to be able to whack crisp packets up the change bit in phone boxes too. Go and get loads of 10ps every few days

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I did some volunteering at one of the local hospices a couple of years ago. They have a central site for donations which they then sort through. For clothing, the majority is sent away for recycling so what goes into their shops is usually stuff from higher quality brands. Anything 'designer' is separated to see if it can either be sold online or goes to specific shops in areas where they know that they can sell them at a higher price to maximise their income.

I spoke to the guy there about football shirts (hoping that there might be some rare Albion shirt hidden away!). He was saying that in the past they wouldn't really consider them any different to other sportswear but more recently they have become aware in the value of old shirts and make a point of pulling these out for sale online.

Obviously not all charities are the same or have the same resource but as [MENTION=33745]marlowe[/MENTION] said, they are getting more savvy about the value of donations.

Good news, thanks for sharing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here