Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has anyone ever taught Welbeck how to hit the ball?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If you don’t see the way Welbeck comes in deep and links the play up I suggest a trip to specsavers is in order, yes he’s not the most clinical player, he never has been, but for me he has a very high football IQ and with the other players we have zipping around upfront he’s the perfect foil

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Love him to bits

And Lallana

Ball falls nicely to them 20 yards out

WHOOOSH!!!!

Nobody's perfect.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think he had a below par game yesterday, a complete reversal of fortune from Saturday.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think he had a below par game yesterday, a complete reversal of fortune from Saturday.
Yeh, it wasn't his best game last night. Ferguson will come back in when fit. Undav may even get the nod Monday.

Danny a decent player to be competing to be the first back up striker

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He always seems to be leaning backwards.
Then he hits the ball, with an empty net, and invariably and irremediably sends it over the crossbar.
Many of his shots are with almost an empty net, a sort of penalty.
I don't know how old he is, 32/33?
He hasn't yet learned that you can hit the ball full neck, in terms of your feet, simply by forwarding your torso along with your whole body.
Ask Gross how he scored his last two goals.
Coordination, timing, quick reflexes etc.
Not only that: he can't hold the ball to make the team come up from behind.
I would have replaced him after 30 minutes.
But this is, of course, just my humble opinion.
I'm going to back you up here. He is a quality player, but it is odd how poor he is at shooting for a striker. But you can file it under the 'if he didn't have that flaw then he wouldn't be playing for us' category. Same with Gross and his lack of pace.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Welbeck is undoubtedly class, but... and I'm uncomfortable saying it... I really don't think he's sharp enough or fast enough for what we have become as a team.

I can only think his knowledge and reading of the game adds something we need as RDZ picks him, but he's not someone I'd say is the backbone of the team or even a 'special' player.

Sorry if my opinion is unpopular.
He added a physical presence which was needed last night but quite often the ball played to him 'didn't stick' so we lost the ball, his finishing is generally poor IMO considering how much he has achieved over the years.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I just don't see it myself. I don't think he's pin sharp, and I don't think he's a brilliant finisher.
he isn't a finisher, never has been. he's always been a classical inside forward, one with vision, pace and strength to play in CF position, hold play, bring others in, and generally screw with the defense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here