Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Has anyone ever lived in a camper van?

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I've seen a lot more Vanlife people in Sussex in recent years. I know councils in the UK do their utmost to discourage such behaviour (unlike France for example), but Worthing seafront (from Heene Road to the end of the Prom) where the parking meters stop has lots of vans permanently residing there, some 'stealth' others less so. Further West used to be popular, but Worthing council made it illegal to park there after 10pm.

Arundel is also a popular site for people to live in a van, with the road before Swanbourne Lake free to camp on.

I follow a number of really interesting #Vanlife Youtubers, both UK and elsewhere, from those in large Luton / Horsebox conversions to people in basic transit vans, all very insightful.

As I alluded to above, in the UK I'd say the biggest challenge is finding places to stay overnight. Many people seem to get visited by the police or pester by busy-bodies, as there are large parts of the country where overnight stays are not welcome - which is a shame.

Not the most relevant, but this couple have been self-converting a horse box, and it's quite nice to watch: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKyT2GAYUm3EonvbjPJHCAA

That seems to be the problem with this country, the reluctance to allow individual vans or campers to stay on a bit of land for one night. I suppose they're just protecting themselves against traveling communities which is fair enough.

Also I admire anyone that can build their own van from scratch. That's sadly not an option for me.

Last edited:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I've got an uncle by marriage who when he retired sold his house and bought a big canal boat having never had a boat or driven(?) one before. After a year or two practicing in England and getting whatever radio licence etc he needed he's then spent the past few years going up and down the waterways of Europe wherever the whim takes him and has zero regrets as far as I know. As with lots of things to do with travel I understand the continent is more efficient than here, so if you learn on the canals of England you're well set for doing it there. I think he spends a lot of his time around Holland, Belgium and France but was talking about heading further east across Germany and into Poland last time I spoke with him. I think the aim is to do it for as long as he can, and he's bought a nice flat in England to come back to when he must (that he rents out in the meantime to generate extra cash). Sounds like quite an idyllic and relatively stress-free life to me.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Yes a houseboat is another fantasy, slightly more restrictive on where you can travel though I suppose.

Narrowboat. 2,500 miles of canal to enjoy. Plenty of space inside, and everything you can possibly need for comfort too.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I've got an uncle by marriage who when he retired sold his house and bought a big canal boat having never had a boat or driven(?) one before. After a year or two practicing in England and getting whatever radio licence etc he needed he's then spent the past few years going up and down the waterways of Europe wherever the whim takes him and has zero regrets as far as I know. As with lots of things to do with travel I understand the continent is more efficient than here, so if you learn on the canals of England you're well set for doing it there. I think he spends a lot of his time around Holland, Belgium and France but was talking about heading further east across Germany and into Poland last time I spoke with him. I think the aim is to do it for as long as he can, and he's bought a nice flat in England to come back to when he must (that he rents out in the meantime to generate extra cash). Sounds like quite an idyllic and relatively stress-free life to me.

That does sound very nice.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Narrowboat. 2,500 miles of canal to enjoy. Plenty of space inside, and everything you can possibly need for comfort too.

Yes I might actually start looking into that too. The plus side is it would require less driving (of a van) which I would find hard for more than a couple of hours at a time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I had a year away in my van when my wife died. Travelled round Europe where parking is easier than here and the weather (often) more clement. Loved every minute and if the buffoon doesn’t declare war with the EU I plan to have another year touring quite soon (90 days in Schengen countries 90 out)

That's the problem with wanting to spend winter in Europe. If you go on 1st January you will have to return by 31st March, and then can't return until September. It's 90 days in any 180 days rolling.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I have this dream of selling up, buying a decent camper and buggering off.

It's becoming more common nowadays what with the cost of living going up and up. Has anyone done it or even doing it now? Just imagine disappearing off to the south of Europe for the winter. Amazing.

I follow various YouTuber's that are doing just that and although not easy and not always glamorous they are loving the life #vanlife

The only thing I'd worry about is of course eventually running out of money and my employment chances are lower than most having a disability.

Like you I follow various YouTubers ..does at times sound enticing ..the toilet arrangements put me off a tad …all the best!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If budget for waterway living is a concern, you don’t have to opt for a steel and wood narrow boat. Something like a Norman 27 is very liveable. You can pick one up for between 3-5k. You don’t really want to live aboard less than a 27 footer, 23 at a push.
Narrow boat owners refer to these as “yoghurt pots” but we don’t all have 50-60k to spend on a floating house! :)
But when you consider a boat safety license is about 400 for four years, waterway license is about another 300, insurance about 90 quid a year and a semi- permanent mooring can be found for £850 a year with refuse collection, sanitation deposit points and postal delivery, it’s a very in-expensive way to live.
With semi- permanent you officially have to vacate the mooring for a fortnight once a year but that’s rarely checked and even if it is, chip off on your boat around Britain’s waterways for a fortnight and enjoy yourself! Semi-permanent means you pay no council tax.

A Continuous cruising license enables you to pay no mooring fee but you have to relocate within a 2-10 mile distance every two weeks.

There will always be hassles living like that but for me the cost and the freedom outweighs these inconveniences.

It’s what I plan to do within the next two years and will be able to semi-retire as the living costs are so low.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
If budget for waterway living is a concern, you don’t have to opt for a steel and wood narrow boat. Something like a Norman 27 is very liveable. You can pick one up for between 3-5k. You don’t really want to live aboard less than a 27 footer, 23 at a push.
Narrow boat owners refer to these as “yoghurt pots” but we don’t all have 50-60k to spend on a floating house! :)
But when you consider a boat safety license is about 400 for four years, waterway license is about another 300, insurance about 90 quid a year and a semi- permanent mooring can be found for £850 a year with refuse collection, sanitation deposit points and postal delivery, it’s a very in-expensive way to live.
With semi- permanent you officially have to vacate the mooring for a fortnight once a year but that’s rarely checked and even if it is, chip off on your boat around Britain’s waterways for a fortnight and enjoy yourself! Semi-permanent means you pay no council tax.

A Continuous cruising license enables you to pay no mooring fee but you have to relocate within a 2-10 mile distance every two weeks.

There will always be hassles living like that but for me the cost and the freedom outweighs these inconveniences.

It’s what I plan to do within the next two years and will be able to semi-retire as the living costs are so low.

That does sound very do-able. I can take a lump sum from my pension in 7 years which should easily set me up with something like that. Sounds like a long time but it isn't of course.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I assume he has a European passport then, I'd imagine popping back to the UK after 90 days would mess things up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Our next door neighbour has just bought one. She's been in a 12 part timeshare for years so to own her own has put a massive smile on her face. Perfect use of money inherited from her mother who passed last year (and who would have massively approved). Moored near Northampton (a bit of a schlep from Faversham but she's retired).

To the OP, the quip in post 2 you didn't understand was a reference to the Palace equivalent of NSC, and the trope that Palace fans live in caravans. Just thought I'd mention it. Good luck with your endeavours :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Yeah. Mid 90s. Divorce and just walked out leaving everything behind. Lived in a Van at Slimbridge wildfowl trust until my appendix burst, then one of my family took me in. After that, bought a Narrowboat and lived in that for 8 years, mainly on the River Avon and then on the Leeds to Liverpool Canal.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That does sound very do-able. I can take a lump sum from my pension in 7 years which should easily set me up with something like that. Sounds like a long time but it isn't of course.

It’s really not a long time and gives plenty of time to prep. I’ve given myself two years and that’s head down, loads of long overtime shifts and penny pinching. I’m a ways off cashing in my pension so it’s gonna be funded by work.

I’ve cancelled gym membership and all sorts to get saving those pennies. But I know it’ll be worth it to get out of the rat race.

Plus I have no kids or wife to consider or accommodate so I’m in a good position to crack on.

Let us know what you go with. And who knows, maybe I’ll see you out on the water. I’ll have an Albion flag flying from the boat!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yeah. Mid 90s. Divorce and just walked out leaving everything behind. Lived in a Van at Slimbridge wildfowl trust until my appendix burst, then one of my family took me in. After that, bought a Narrowboat and lived in that for 8 years, mainly on the River Avon and then on the Leeds to Liverpool Canal.

Was it a good life on the water?

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Was it a good life on the water?

A bit like life in general. Some parts were amazing, others not so much. Life was a lot simpler. No TV or microwave. Just a wood burner, a guitar and a few books to read. Life on the River Avon was pretty much as good as it gets. Watching the seasons change and being so close to nature was like living in a BBC documentary (Before they made them about that) Was obviously a lot younger then and waking up with ice on the duvet because the fire had gone out was no big thing. Could sit and look out the window at the scenery for what seemed like months. I could go on and on about it to be honest, but Im sure you get the drift.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here