Harveys at the Stadium

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not at all, but it is a fairly harmless pastime, that seems to offend you, we all have our foibles. I don't mind being in the majority, but from a vanity perspective, I do enjoy being in the minority, rather more than I should do.

Offended? I just asked why you thought people who didn't choose CAMRA recommended pubs were trying to be cool.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surely if you’re passionate about something, have studied it, know how it works, enjoy it, consume it, you start to use all that experience and joy to try to inform others, and question why people settle for inferior mass produced goods?

You’re fairly quick to point out why Apple is superior to other inferior products. Why? You have a passion for it. There’s nothing wrong with that as long as it’s backed up with knowledge and opinion.

I don’t have a car and have only owned pretty shit cars. I know they’re rubbish and I’m happy for people to tell me they’re rubbish as I’m not interested in them. They do the job in getting me from A to B, much like Fosters does the job in getting you pi$$ed. If you want to ‘enjoy’ a beer you don’t choose pissy lager as much as you wouldn’t choose my pissy car to enjoy a drive.

Excellent post Albumen.

It is, insofar as there are some decent analogies.

Where it falls down, as usual, with the real ale types, is the hard statement as fact, that people only 'drink pissy lager to get drunk'.

Its silly nonsense. Why not just accept that people actually LIKE lager? Even fairly weak, gassy lager. A good proportion of people at the stadium are driving, too, so they are certainly not just trying to 'get drunk' on their one and a half pints of 'pissy lager'. Just choosing a refreshing drink, that is their favourite from what is on offer. :shrug:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Funnily the sneery and superior posts seem to have come from those who talk about beer snobs.

I am able to accept that people have different tastes, I like a quality lager (I have some Budweiser Budvars in the fridge). I am sure I would enjoy a quality cider.

But stuff like John Smiths and Fosters and stuff are mass-produced crap. I have been known to drink them - but that still makes them crap. And the people that make them know that.

Err think you have proved Bozzas point. Why is it that the lager you have in your fridge a quality lager but the others are mass produced crap? Personally I don't like Budweiser Budvars but each to their own.Wouldn't dream of calling it crap.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So what we've learnt from this thread is:

Some people prefer Ale
Some people prefer lager
Lots of people are dicks about it and are insecure.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes. I just think it would be a shame. I would like to see the figures though, and like to see some negotiation with Harveys who (as pointed out) would I am sure be loathe to lose a massive customer, so close to the brewery.

I also wonder if the attitude to beer drinkers is historic. We are from a generation where it was not easy to find a decent pint - so maybe we feel different towards the rubbish that brewers will serve if they think they get away with it. These are different days with almost every pub serving a range of beer you would be happy to drink.
I agree, that's my position as well. I certainly agree about the 'generational' thing. Like Bournemouth being our main rivals (sorry Simster!) we also remember the days of Watneys Red Barrel and the big breweries dominating the pub trade when it was IMPOSSIBLE to get a decent pint in about 90% of the country. And although it's fashionable (and also pretty accurate) to sneer at CAMRA today for being a load of beardy-weirdys back in the early 1970s it was indeed a 'campaign for real ale' and it involved boycotting this and supporting that. I suppose sub-consciously we still remember that fight and bristle at the thought of any backward step.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Some people prefer Ale
Some people prefer lager

And why don't the club sell peppermint tea? You'd think the club would realise that a good 10,000 of the crowd these days are women like yourself. :thumbsup:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
except the analogy doesn't translate. We're talking about going to a football match to watch the footie. The choice of beer is at best a secondary consideration. If you want to go for an enjoyable drive then the car you drive is pretty much a primary consideration.

I'd say your route would be the primary consideration. Driving through the downs on Sunday evening in my missus' average car was lovely, driving through Croydon in a 60s Jaguar wouldn't be as nice

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Some people prefer Ale
Some people prefer lager

I will drink anything, what does that make me?

When going to the AMEX I will often go for a Strongbow as i find it easier to drink in a rush. however if someone buys a Fosters or a Harveys i will happily drink that as well, I'm going to the football.

I give a few extra quid to the club and I enjoy it whatever it is, because im with mates and having a good time (unless we have just been beaten).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd certainly opt for a warming peppermint tea on a chilly Tuesday evening. Lovely beverage.
I'll tell you what - it's better than their pathetic "hot chocolate" - three quarters of the powder is a gluteness mess at the bottom and even if you fancy spending 20 minutes stirring it until it disolves, it is still weak and tasteless. And £2. Utterly rank stuff.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As I said before, it now appears that Harveys will continue to be sold.

With a decision being " reversed". Now make of that what you will. Maybe Harvey's we're asked to drop their prices and told brighton to get lost, or albion accepted that it would be unwise to ditch them. THIS IS SPECULATION!!!!!!

Anyway as I said if you want to ban me, then go ahead, I was just repeating what I had been told.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I agree, that's my position as well. I certainly agree about the 'generational' thing. Like Bournemouth being our main rivals (sorry Simster!) we also remember the days of Watneys Red Barrel and the big breweries dominating the pub trade when it was IMPOSSIBLE to get a decent pint in about 90% of the country. And although it's fashionable (and also pretty accurate) to sneer at CAMRA today for being a load of beardy-weirdys back in the early 1970s it was indeed a 'campaign for real ale' and it involved boycotting this and supporting that. I suppose sub-consciously we still remember that fight and bristle at the thought of any backward step.

Watneys red barrel was horrible...as was anything by Phoenix brewery really.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Err think you have proved Bozzas point. Why is it that the lager you have in your fridge a quality lager but the others are mass produced crap? Personally I don't like Budweiser Budvars but each to their own.Wouldn't dream of calling it crap.

Because they are. If calling something like John Smiths Smooth "crap" makes me a beer snob then I am guilty. When they brought out that beer they will have discussed many issues, I would think quality was fairly low down the list.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Because they are. If calling something like John Smiths Smooth "crap" makes me a beer snob then I am guilty. When they brought out that beer they will have discussed many issues, I would think quality was fairly low down the list.

If you think John smiths is crap, I remember drinking stones bitter...that gave you a headache just smelling it!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I will drink anything, what does that make me?

When going to the AMEX I will often go for a Strongbow as i find it easier to drink in a rush. however if someone buys a Fosters or a Harveys i will happily drink that as well, I'm going to the football.

I give a few extra quid to the club and I enjoy it whatever it is, because im with mates and having a good time (unless we have just been beaten).

Indeed. I will always opt for an ale as first choice but if it's not there then I can more than happily drink a beer or a cider or whatever.

I prefer Brown bread to white, however when I see someone eating a white sandwich I don't think "oh, poor soul, missing out on all this wonderful flavour that I'm enjoying"

It seems to be some odd link that, because it's alcoholic, people feel obliged to care more about someone else's palette.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Some people (myself included) like Harvey's. Some people (myself included) can't stand John Smith's.

Ergo, some people (myself included) are snobs.

QED.

Empty your pm box oh goatee one

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports