Harveys at the Stadium

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
There are some proper losers on this thread. Serious weirdos.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
lol I know how popular Harveys is with a lot of people, being a local ale and all that. I don't dislike it, but I'd love to see anything brewed by Sharps on offer at the Amex, at least in the WSL. Superb Cornish beer, especially Doom Bar, or Cornish Coaster.

Doom Bar is owned by Coors now... Hardly Local...

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It's got nothing to do with that. It's the:

Stuff I like - decent.
Stuff you like - horrible.

...outlook.

I like a good cider and I'm largely indifferent to ale (although I've had a fair few at the Amex as it's easy to get hold of). However I wouldn't dream of saying my favoured drink was 'decent' whilst making the implication that yours is anything but.

I'm able to accept that different people have different tastes. Fosters might not be for me, but it is chosen by many. Why is it so few real ale fans are not able to understand the same?

Is there really any need to get all sneery and superior to those who prefer to drink something else?

Well you kind of bought it upon yourself, when you suggested you would still drink stuff you deemed rubbish. Much of the sneery superiority has been to point out that not drinking or drinking elsewhere are valid options.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Not in the same quantities they wouldn't. I certainly won't be staying at the Amex after the game if I cannot get a proper ale, and I am sure I can speak for most of my mates that they would not either.

Same here. No Harveys or equivalent, I'm off! Would probably try Dick's if ale still served there or The Swan.

If true a total and utter nightmare and a disastrous decision on an epic scale.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Doom Bar is owned by Coors now... Hardly Local...

Where is it actually brewed? (I don't know).

If its still MADE in Cornwall, using Cornish ingrediants, and employing Cornish people, then its as 'local' as it ever was, regardless of who owns it.

Would HArvey's cease to be local to Sussex, if Heineken bought them out?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If it hasn't it should be .............
The thing is, once people get over the shocking fact that we've all got different tastes, there's actually the germ of a decent debate here. I personally would hate to see Harveys removed as, like I said on another thread, I think supporting one of our local industries is part of what makes us a 'community' club; it's a straw I cling to in these increasingly corporate times. However IF an acceptable substitute could be found which made the club more money is it worth sacrificing a bit more of our 'community-ness' in order to earn a few extra quid?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It's got nothing to do with that. It's the:

Stuff I like - decent.
Stuff you like - horrible.

...outlook.

I like a good cider and I'm largely indifferent to ale (although I've had a fair few at the Amex as it's easy to get hold of). However I wouldn't dream of saying my favoured drink was 'decent' whilst making the implication that yours is anything but.

I'm able to accept that different people have different tastes. Fosters might not be for me, but it is chosen by many. Why is it so few real ale fans are not able to understand the same?

Is there really any need to get all sneery and superior to those who prefer to drink something else?

Surely if you’re passionate about something, have studied it, know how it works, enjoy it, consume it, you start to use all that experience and joy to try to inform others, and question why people settle for inferior mass produced goods?

You’re fairly quick to point out why Apple is superior to other inferior products. Why? You have a passion for it. There’s nothing wrong with that as long as it’s backed up with knowledge and opinion.

I don’t have a car and have only owned pretty shit cars. I know they’re rubbish and I’m happy for people to tell me they’re rubbish as I’m not interested in them. They do the job in getting me from A to B, much like Fosters does the job in getting you pi$$ed. If you want to ‘enjoy’ a beer you don’t choose pissy lager as much as you wouldn’t choose my pissy car to enjoy a drive.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Bloody hell - I've just wasted 45 minutes of my life reading this thread when it was all rubbish. Thanks Granny :angry::angry::angry::angry: !!!!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
And as I said..I'm in the majority who don't care. Pub near the ground and drink what's on offer. Quite how that equates to too cool for school, God alone knows. Are you seriously suggesting that those who can't be arsed to check for CAMRA recommended pubs are doing so to look cool?

Not at all, but it is a fairly harmless pastime, that seems to offend you, we all have our foibles. I don't mind being in the majority, but from a vanity perspective, I do enjoy being in the minority, rather more than I should do.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The thing is, once people get over the shocking fact that we've all got different tastes, there's actually the germ of a decent debate here. I personally would hate to see Harveys removed as, like I said on another thread, I think supporting one of our local industries is part of what makes us a 'community' club; it's a straw I cling to in these increasingly corporate times. However IF an acceptable substitute could be found which made the club more money is it worth sacrificing a bit more of our 'community-ness' in order to earn a few extra quid?

Yes. I just think it would be a shame. I would like to see the figures though, and like to see some negotiation with Harveys who (as pointed out) would I am sure be loathe to lose a massive customer, so close to the brewery.

I also wonder if the attitude to beer drinkers is historic. We are from a generation where it was not easy to find a decent pint - so maybe we feel different towards the rubbish that brewers will serve if they think they get away with it. These are different days with almost every pub serving a range of beer you would be happy to drink.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Surely if you’re passionate about something, have studied it, know how it works, enjoy it, consume it, you start to use all that experience and joy to try to inform others, and question why people settle for inferior mass produced goods?

You’re fairly quick to point out why Apple is superior to other inferior products. Why? You have a passion for it. There’s nothing wrong with that as long as it’s backed up with knowledge and opinion.

I don’t have a car and have only owned pretty shit cars. I know they’re rubbish and I’m happy for people to tell me they’re rubbish as I’m not interested in them. They do the job in getting me from A to B, much like Fosters does the job in getting you pi$$ed. If you want to ‘enjoy’ a beer you don’t choose pissy lager as much as you wouldn’t choose my pissy car to enjoy a drive.

Excellent post Albumen.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I also wonder if the attitude to beer drinkers is historic. We are from a generation where it was not easy to find a decent pint - so maybe we feel different towards the rubbish that brewers will serve if they think they get away with it. These are different days with almost every pub serving a range of beer you would be happy to drink.

In Brighton at least. I'm not sure if real ale is quite so readily available throughout the country. London for definite, but I have been on enough away days where it's Spoonies or nothing if you wanted some decent ale.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Excellent post Albumen.

except the analogy doesn't translate. We're talking about going to a football match to watch the footie. The choice of beer is at best a secondary consideration. If you want to go for an enjoyable drive then the car you drive is pretty much a primary consideration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports