Harveys at the Stadium

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I really don't believe how many people on here say that they will drink anything. It if it doesn't taste good, why drink it?

It isn't about not tasting good, I certainly wouldn't drink something that tasted bad but if it's adequate then for just a couple of hours with my mates at football where my overiding passion is the team I'll put up with it.

I don't go to football for a culinary experience with fine beverages, i go to sing, shout and laugh with friends.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Have only read the first few pages of this but think it is hysterical that a bunch of grown men can have such a massive tantrum about one particular type of beer.

Ok - I'm not a big drinker and I drive to games but to a neutral observer it all just sounds a bit pathetic.

Boycott the club!
I'm drinking in town!
denying match day experience!

Please........

Please.........

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Doombar is indeed a great pint - but I don't think the CAMRAnistas would approve as it is now owned by Coors , and they tend to get a bit miffed about that sort of thing.

Yes that's all going a bit far, real ale, and Harveys in particular is unique to the match day experience. Replace it with another decent real ale and it would go a long way to softening the blow. But you have to question the motives of getting rid of Harvey's.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
It's not all about the quality of the beer. I like Harvey's; I like other beers too. I like drinking beer at the stadium; I like drinking in a pub too

What I really like is having the ability to drink a local real ale at football. That was such an inspired decision and is part of my match-day experience. The two I go with drink Kronenbourg; when that stopped we stayed in the pub instead. When it was back we went to the ground earlier. No Harvey's = less money for the club from me.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
If it were up to me I'd have Darkstar's FESTIVAL 5.0% as the bitter available, it's their version of King & Barnes FESTIVE. Very nice drop.

Plus their APA 4.7% for the Pale Ale drinkers, or Long Mans LONG BLONDE 3.8% if something lighter was preferred.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don;t see why they can't just raise the price of Harvey's to maintain the profit margins per pint that they would get from a Heineken bitter.

But fundamentally, if this is the kind of penny-pinching the club are doing then it seems Gus was right about us hitting the ceiling

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
It's not all about the quality of the beer. I like Harvey's; I like other beers too. I like drinking beer at the stadium; I like drinking in a pub too

What I really like is having the ability to drink a local real ale at football. That was such an inspired decision and is part of my match-day experience. The two I go with drink Kronenbourg; when that stopped we stayed in the pub instead. When it was back we went to the ground earlier. No Harvey's = less money for the club from me.

Exactly how I feel.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
If this is true I guarantee it will backfire on the club and if the owners of the Swan have any sense they will get Harvey's in and clean up on match days.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If this is true I sincerely hope there is no stupid poem from someone who claims to be the club poet

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I'm by no means a real ale buff, but having tried the Harvey's when the lager ran out one game I've not gone back to the lager. Must say there's something quite enjoyable drinking a local beer at the ground. Won't stop me drinking at the Amex, might have to go back on the lager if new ale is not up to standard.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If this is true I sincerely hope there is no stupid poem from someone who claims to be the club poet

He doesn't claim to be, he is the official poet in residence isn't he?

I'll do one...

Our local beer is the part of the day
When all of our fears are sent away
Out run the boys to sussex by the sea
And that is what corporates do not understand
That it's all about local tradition
And not about figures on a balance sheet

It doesn't rhyme but you know what I am getting at.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't like beer or ale. I will drink cider, but not strongbow, so I don't buy drinks at all at the ground. If they offered a cider other than strongbow, I would probably buy a drink each week.

So I don't believe everyone who drinks will buy just anything. But I suppose there are people who would drink, say john smiths, but not harveys, so maybe it all balances out in the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports