Harveys at the Stadium

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some of us are both 'real ale geeks' and 'cycling geeks'. :blush: I feel so uncool :lolol:
Amen to that.

I can feel a new product coming to the market. Some kind of real ale lyrca tie-in, what's not to love.

There are plenty better ales available than Harvey's.
I'd be doubtful about the quantity and quality of ale a brewery could produce that isn't on the doorstep.

I'll not be drinking JS et al.
In the same way I'll not be eating Pucka.

It'll not stop me going to and enjoying the football, but it will save me some money, so it's not all bad.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I wonder if you put a pint of JS in a glass marked Harveys how many of these zealots would notice ?

Best joke you've done for a while sir.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I will drink it - but not in the same quantity, and not with the same pleasure. I would like to see the cost savings.

Really? If the alternative was something decent, which a lot of the ales available through Heineken are I would no be that bothered. I would imagine the cost savings could be as much as £20 a barrel. This is informed speculation based on what I know to be the cheapest Ale prices Heineken offer and what I have been quoted by Harvey's in the past, presumably Harvey's were offering a far lower price to the Albion than they were to my company though. Even if the price difference is considerably less, say £5 a barrel, this adds up to a quite significant amount over the course of a season.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
An awful lot of people taking Dave the Gaffer as gospel here.
Me? Drinking is for losers :smokin:

"Jokes"

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Amen to that.

I can feel a new product coming to the market. Some kind of real ale lyrca tie-in, what's not to love.

I'd be doubtful about the quantity and quality of ale a brewery could produce that isn't on the doorstep.

It'll not stop me going to and enjoying the football, but it will save me some money, so it's not all bad.

Come on stat could you not design a Harvey's Lycra cycling kit ?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Whether you drank it or not, it is a small (ish) local brewery, part of the identity of Sussex, and one of of many reasons why the Amex was more than just a new plastic stadium. It won't lose it's identity overnight, but little things like this may erode it over time.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Amen to that.

Incidentally, I have just ordered four barrels of Brain's Le Peloton for my place of work. It is like they knew who they were selling to.

Le_Peloton-1349438185.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
If they want me as a customer, they will have to serve a real ale. I will not buy beer in any pub that does not. For this same reason, I hardly ever drink at away grounds.

Pies do not taste the same unless accompanied by a pint of real ale!

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Whether you drank it or not, it is a small (ish) local brewery, part of the identity of Sussex, and one of of many reasons why the Amex was more than just a new plastic stadium. It won't lose it's identity overnight, but little things like this may erode it over time.

This is very true - although I do actually drink it myself.

The Harveys/Piglets Pie combo is a unique part of what makes the Amex experience special. It will be a shame to lose it and as others have said would be a sad erosion.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
How may people drink Harveys at a game? Maybe 3000. How many of them drink it because it's the only bitter on sale and would not be bothered if it was John Smiths or similar? Maybe 2500?

So we are (maybe) turning down valuable profits for the sake of 500 real ale types?

All made up figures obviously!!!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
What's everyone else drinking?

Not sure :drink:

Actually I am off the booze at the moment in an effort to shift some weight before the season starts and the drinking gets going again.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I've gotta be honest here. This would seriously impact on my match day experience. I love drinking Harvey's at the Amex. It's more than just a beer, it's something that symbolises sussex for me. I am literally eating and drinking sussex whilst watching the Albion! Just getting excited pre match and a few beers as I'm looking out at the hills that provide the water and barley that I'm drinking, a beer that's made only a mile or so away.
It's just so unthinkable that Barber would allow this, that I refuse to believe it.
IF it were true, I would not enjoy matches at the Amex as much, I therefore would have to think about whether I want to continue being a STH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports