Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harveys at the Stadium

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Yes they would. They might be disgruntled, and people on HERE would be up in arms, but when it came down to it, they would.
I think not,......... local business, local jobs,..... good beer,... replaced by what??... a creamy chemical bitter,.... nope, I shall do all my drinking at the Swan or the Bell,..... IF THIS HAPPENS.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
There is another factor Bozza. If you mass produce keg beer you can do it more cheaply, and negotiate better distribution deals. JS is drunk primarily in the pubs and clubs of northern England, where price per pint is an important factor. Real ale is designed to be kept live and not travel so far. Harveys and other 'real' beer has no aspiration for national mass distribution as it would risk the quality of the product and therefore the reputation of the product to do so.

PG

I'll have to disagree about the point that Harveys is a local producer supplying within a limited area. Harveys "best" can be found in most major cities up and down the country.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So regardless of whether or not we agree with a decision, one that will affect people even it is in a minor way, we should back it? I mean obviously there are other avenues to explore with anything that fans/customers are unhappy with, such as writing to the club or requesting a meeting, but if it's the last option people should not take a stand?

I didn't say you should back it. I said that trying to rally other people to support you in a boycott of OTHER products was wrong. I say wrong - what I meant was over-the-top, petty and embarrassing.

Why be talking about 'last options' anyway? Nobody knows that this is even TRUE, let alone what the possible replacement bitter might be. But hey, lets ASSUME the very worst, and start a boycott. Is there a petition I can sign?

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Blimey. Eight pages already. I'm not sure even Gus going provoked so many posts so quickly.

Oct 25, 2003
You've missed the point entirely. Harveys is a local product and it's a popular product. If it was replaced by another good local product then I'd drink it. Once we go national then we'd just be like all of the other clubs.

good

dark star (which i actually prefer) it is then!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The Swan is going to get popular. Shame it doesn't sell Harveys.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A quick question to the Real Ale drinkers.

Before they announced Harveys was going to be sold at The Amex and everyone thought it was going to be John Smiths anyway, would you have not purchased anything then?
Correct. I managed quite well at Withdean (and the Goldstone and Gillingham) without buying a pie and a pint before or after the game and I can do so again. I turned up just before kick-off and left immediately after the final whistle. It's just that I enjoy the Amex experience, and also I liked the fact that I thought it made us a bit 'different': the local club owned by a fan and with fans on the board, supported local companies and in the process established a different culture to football catering.

And also don't forget it WAS necessary as they had to do something to try and stagger the crowds.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
and, as we all know, the ONLY ales/bitters available in the WORLD are harveys and john smiths

THEY'RE THE ONLY OPTIONS

I think we all know that if Barber is looking at this, and the evil stereotype he has engendered on these boards, he will be looking at profit margins, and that means a mass producer like John Smiths to replace a local product like Harvey's.

I doubt many ale drinkers would be that bothered with any number of ale replacements, whether London Pride, Doombar, etc. etc. BUT NOT Satan's Piss...I mean John Smiths or Boddington's.

Some fans fought for it - several thousand now have the benefit of it.

What's your point? You said 'everyone thought we were getting John Smith's'. Really?

My point is that before they announced Harveys would be on sale after saying they wouldn't keep a Real Ale what did anyone think they would be drinking.

And why am I even debating this, I don't care, I have no love of Real Ale and when I do drink it it's normally Doom Bar.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Id actually prefer at least 4 of those to Harveys. Not the Greene King though.

Generally I would agree, but some of Greene King's seasonal stuff this year has been very good. Especially the Yardbird, they produced in March.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Is this a good time to ask the question of whether we will ever get the Albion branded pie boxes back? I liked those.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
1 "Something About The Way You Look Tonight / Candle In The Wind 1997" Elton John 4,868,000 1997 1
2 "Unchained Melody" Robson & Jerome 1,840,000 1995 1
3 "Love Is All Around" Wet Wet Wet 1,783,000 1994 1
4 "Barbie Girl" Aqua 1,722,000 1997 1
5 "Believe" Cher 1,672,000 1998 1

Top 5 selling songs of the 1990's. It doesn't mean they're any good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here