Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harveys at the Stadium

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
John Smith's is the biggest selling bitter in the world. This can mean one of two things, although probably a combination of the two...

- A lot of people buy it through choice.

- A lot of people who like bitter will buy JS if it's the only option available to them.

Bozza don't be stupid. John Smith is the biggest selling 'ale' because it is the most widely available by quite some margin, probably by a factor of four or five. If you could buy Harvey's in every pub up and down the land it would out sell John Smith's, easily. Same as Strongbow is the largest selling cider, whilst being far from the most popular. Granted a lot of people must buy it through choice, and a lot will buy it with no other choice available, the fact is no other 'ale' is available up and down the entire length of the country.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I do love these ale binfests, something that is idle speculation at the moment has certain posters threatening boycotts! Only in Brighton!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Wait until John Baine gets to hear about this thread.

'Everyone thought...'? Speak for yourself.

The fans fought for - and got - real ale. When the club announced that there was going to be real ale, I never thought it was going to be John Smiths.

SOME fans fought for TLO, we have circa 28,000 of them now, I doubt the Real Ale drinkers among them never even gave it a second thought.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
lets hope theyre gonna get some LONG MAN in...:drink::drink:

Oct 25, 2003
i don't think there's any group of men as fussy and snobby as 'real ale geeks'...they might even be slowly overtaking 'wine buffs' as the most vocally fussy alcohol consumers

my favourite drinks are capri-sun, rio tropical and strawberry milk....i'm not that fussed that they're not on sale at the amex

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Just who is buying the world's most popular bitter then? And why?

There is another factor Bozza. If you mass produce keg beer you can do it more cheaply, and negotiate better distribution deals. JS is drunk primarily in the pubs and clubs of northern England, where price per pint is an important factor. Real ale is designed to be kept live and not travel so far. Harveys and other 'real' beer has no aspiration for national mass distribution as it would risk the quality of the product and therefore the reputation of the product to do so.

PG

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
i don't think there's any group of men as fussy and snobby as 'real ale geeks'...they might even be slowly overtaking 'wine buffs' as the most vocally fussy alcohol consumers

my favourite drinks are capri-sun, rio tropical and strawberry milk....i'm not that fussed that they're not on sale at the amex

Cracking post.

(except the STRAWBERRY milk bit. Yuk)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'm sure you're right. On a purely personal political (if the UKIP connection is true) and taste level I already prefer a few of those to Harveys Sussex.

Not sure about the Harvey's UKIP connection, but like you, there a fair few ales made by these breweries that I prefer to Harvey's. Certainly any change from real ale will not be driven by Heineken.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think people need to take a look at which breweries own which products. At present all the alcohol, bar the ale, is supplied by Heineken UK. Where I work we are also supplied by Heineken UK. I can assure you that as a company Heineken are spending a lot more time pushing real ales than John Smiths (which is one of their products) at present. It really would not be in their interest to stop stocking ale at the Amex, the South East area rep is not an idiot and is more than aware that ale is a huge seller at the Amex. If Harvey's was to go it is likely that it would be replaced by one of Heineken's other ales. At present the ale breweries available through Heineken are (off the top of my head):

Brains
Greene King (sorry, Lewes residents)
Deuchars
Wells and Young
Butcombe
Thwaites

So a decent enough range, hardly Harvey's or local but still some acceptable alternatives.

Id actually prefer at least 4 of those to Harveys. Not the Greene King though.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Well excuse me for having a palette.

fasofbag.jpgp

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

You've missed the point entirely. Harveys is a local product and it's a popular product. If it was replaced by another good local product then I'd drink it. Once we go national then we'd just be like all of the other clubs.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
It is if they attempt to rally support behind the idea of depriving the club of income, yes.

So regardless of whether or not we agree with a decision, one that will affect people even it is in a minor way, we should back it? I mean obviously there are other avenues to explore with anything that fans/customers are unhappy with, such as writing to the club or requesting a meeting, but if it's the last option people should not take a stand?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here